Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:42 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times

Advertisements

So okay, while at work today, people were on the phones to their kids in light of a tornado warning. I was talking to one lady who lived in Lanscaster, SC all her life. She said that during Hugo, they lost power for 2 weeks so they scrambled to get generators after the outage. As was expected, as the supply of generators dwindled, price gouging became the norm. She then said it is probably a good idea to have even a small generator for events like these. Hubby and I are discussing the need, and then the size that is warranted. While we have no trees around us and no wires above ground, lines could still go down on the delivery system. If they are recommended, what is the optimal size? Any brands better than others? I'm looking to hear from those who have been here for quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 04:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
The need is up to you to decide how prepared you want to be, but the last time it was needed in the Charlotte area was during the ice storm of 2002 and Hurricane Hugo occured in 1989.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Bibit, we say every Fall we are gonna buy one. For us, having one would take care of two major things - our freezer and being able to continue working, since we are both at home and depend on our computers to work.

We have looked at many sizes. I will be interested in knowing what others have chosen as well. We had a discussion on the forum some time in the past - I will see if I can find the thread for you, as people shared their experiences.

There is also a worksheet I had downloaded that helps you estimate your needs and make a decision about the size you would need. I will see if I can locate that, too.

I think we had decided we could probably get by on something above 5000 watts. We would be plugging different appliances in for several hours at a time, rather than using it continuously.

One of our neighbors has a huge one (fixed, not portable) that literally furnishes power to their entire home.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:29 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,397 times
Any recommendations for someone renting in an apt complex?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:32 PM

116 posts, read 333,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The need is up to you to decide how prepared you want to be, but the last time it was needed in the Charlotte area was during the ice storm of 2002 and Hurricane Hugo occured in 1989.
x2, I've toyed with the idea on and off for years but haven't quite been able to balance the ROI in my own mind.

I was one of the lucky ones who had power all through the ice storm and immediatley afterwards....in any case, had I lost power isn't that what friends are for?

H/Hugo, cant comment I wasn't here

So that said IF I was to lose power:
Cost possibly a $1000 +/- for a generator v finding out who my real friends are when I'm in a pinch and replacing the cost of frozen goods out of the freezer maybe a $100.00

I'll take the latter options every time....

Ooo, and that being said I'm also not one of those who will deplete the entire bread section at Harris Teeter and relieve them of 20 gallons of milk on a 30% chance of snow for the following day in our 'Charlotte winter'

Old 08-26-2008, 05:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
I can't see the expense for a good unit, and IMHO the cheap stuff is not worth the effort (I am a EE/ECE).
In 40 years my area has lost power once (long term) for 7 days.

In the last 10 years I have had one power outage that lasted for 45 minutes.

We also do not have a huge freezer although I know people who love them.
I prefer cooking fresh meat (shop every other day) and if I could not get meat for a few weeks would just eat something else.
I will take my chances...

We have gas logs in the fireplaces which can heat most of the house (nice sets are so convenient and warm), gas water heaters, and usually have 2-3 propane tanks (for the grill) in reserve. Unless an earthquake disrupts the gas lines, I figure we could last a solid 3 weeks in moderate comfort in the winter without power - but that seems like an apocalyptic vision.

Last edited by mullman; 08-26-2008 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
So far, more for not necessary. We talked and talked about this when we were in CT, but never quite got around to doing it. A client of DH had one put in at a cost of $3k thereabouts, which was directly wired to his breaker. I don't know how many times he had had to use it. I think we were more at risk up there with wires above ground and trees breaking on us due to heavy icing. I'm still waiting for a good argument for it vs cost, ROI, etc. I don't believe any of our neighbors are equipped with it just yet, but what do we all know in our 'hood...we're all transplants! The other less expensive option is just having a spare propane tank to cook on the grille with, but that still leaves no hot water for showers. We could wing a couple of days, but 2 weeks is a bit much. I know food spoiling is the least of our worries. It's probably more living without electricity for that long.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
So far, more for not necessary. We talked and talked about this when we were in CT, but never quite got around to doing it. A client of DH had one put in at a cost of $3k thereabouts, which was directly wired to his breaker. I don't know how many times he had had to use it. I think we were more at risk up there with wires above ground and trees breaking on us due to heavy icing. I'm still waiting for a good argument for it vs cost, ROI, etc. I don't believe any of our neighbors are equipped with it just yet, but what do we all know in our 'hood...we're all transplants! The other less expensive option is just having a spare propane tank to cook on the grille with, but that still leaves no hot water for showers. We could wing a couple of days, but 2 weeks is a bit much. I know food spoiling is the least of our worries. It's probably more living without electricity for that long.
I have always had a gas BBQ, hooked up to the gas line of the house, and a gas fireplace. I lost power in Miss. for about 3 days during an ice storm and the gas logs kept me warm enough. The gas BBQ let me heat up stuff. I have not lost power longer than that. I would be worried about heating the house in the winter and cooking more than anything else.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
I've seen instructions for solar generators that look simple enough to build. They won't run a household, but if there's no electrcity, a little is better than none.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've seen instructions for solar generators that look simple enough to build. They won't run a household, but if there's no electrcity, a little is better than none.
If you just want to cook and do not want to spend much money, invest in a solar cooker. I have used them on multi-day camping trips and they work great (when the sun shining).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte