Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess since we are posting here, we must be staying at home for Labor Day weekend . . . having a "staycation" instead of a "vacation."

So . . . what is everyone doing over Labor Day? Home Projects? BBQ w/ friends? Day trips?

I think DH and I are gonna work on some outdoor projects . . . as long as the weather cooperates. Waiting to see if college son may show up at some point . . .

What is everyone doing?

I know one thing I am gonna do. I am gonna make my mint syrup for Mint Juleps . . . in case anyone stops by . . . a round of Mint Juleps will be easy to concoct . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,026,508 times
Just found a similar post on the Chicago forum. People there who were doing the "staycation" thing were going to a jazz festival (massive) or just hanging out at the beach..(Lake Michigan).

SIGH

I will be doing yardwork and homework. Nowhere near jazz or a beach.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Just found a similar post on the Chicago forum. People there who were doing the "staycation" thing were going to a jazz festival (massive) or just hanging out at the beach..(Lake Michigan).

SIGH

I will be doing yardwork and homework. Nowhere near jazz or a beach.
Oh wow. CHI is a great place to hang . . . I have been to a lot of neat events in Grant Park . . . Navy Pier . . .

Are you feeling a little homesick, ChiCubs???? I was feeling like I needed to be back in KS a few weeks ago, so I know how it is . . .

You can come over and help me put in footings for the deck, Hee Hee. There will be Mint Juleps (and lots of Coronas w/ Lime, LOL).

But I know that is not much of a substitute for a jazz festival . . . We have been known to listen to smooth jazz - Chris Botti, Boney James, Keiko Matsui, David Benoit - while working, tho . . . Since the neighbors are gonna be gone, we may be having a jazz festival (of sorts) in the back yard this weekend.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
I'm really wanting to head out tomorrow for this.

Yesterday - A Tribute To The Beatles - Tour Dates (http://www.legendsofyesterday.com/atlanticcity.html - broken link)

Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 PM

Brian, you should go. I have been to two Beatles tributes and they were great fun! What is so neat, my 24 y/o loves the Beatles, too . . . and so we went together. What a hoot! I love the fact that I was listening to John, Paul, George and Ringo when I was my son's age - and that he enjoys their music now . . . He wakes up to "Here Comes the Sun" every morning.

Hope you can work it out to go . . .

Old 08-29-2008, 07:28 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Brian, you should go. I have been to two Beatles tributes and they were great fun! What is so neat, my 24 y/o loves the Beatles, too . . . and so we went together. What a hoot! I love the fact that I was listening to John, Paul, George and Ringo when I was my son's age - and that he enjoys their music now . . . He wakes up to "Here Comes the Sun" every morning.

Hope you can work it out to go . . .

Since it's at the Tropicana do you think it would make my wife any nervous if I promised her that I'd win the money to buy the tickets?

Not like that hasn't been attempted before....

Old 08-29-2008, 07:35 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,396,801 times
Doing a Zumba class in the morning. Meeting friends, weather permitting, and taking part in the Matthews Alive event. It will be my first. If not I will be sizzling hot dogs and burgers on my patio. Otherwise, just relaxing and doing small stuff, movies and girly things with daughter. What fun it will be to give each other facials and paint her adorable toes and fingers?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Since it's at the Tropicana do you think it would make my wife any nervous if I promised her that I'd win the money to buy the tickets?

Not like that hasn't been attempted before....
Oh, do I have some stories. In Kansas City, there are numerous "boats" and it so happens, I LOVE THE BOATS!!!!

I set goals. Of course, I don't always win (duh). But . . . I have had a lot of fun doing such things as . . . "winning" plane tickets . . . and even appliance money . . . yep. RULE: I never play my winnings.

So if you are asking ME about hitting the slots or the blackjack table in hopes of "winning" the tickets . . . HECK YEAH!!!!!

The Boats are one of the things I miss about KCMO. My friends and I usually had a cheapie lunch and several hours on the slots every week - Girls Afternoon Out, LOL!! I do miss it . . . the socializing was part of the fun. I think we need a few boats around here . . . at least one on LKN and one on LW.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,026,508 times
Wink Labour Day Staycation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh wow. CHI is a great place to hang . . . I have been to a lot of neat events in Grant Park . . . Navy Pier . . .

Are you feeling a little homesick, ChiCubs???? I was feeling like I needed to be back in KS a few weeks ago, so I know how it is . . .

You can come over and help me put in footings for the deck, Hee Hee. There will be Mint Juleps (and lots of Coronas w/ Lime, LOL).

But I know that is not much of a substitute for a jazz festival . . . We have been known to listen to smooth jazz - Chris Botti, Boney James, Keiko Matsui, David Benoit - while working, tho . . . Since the neighbors are gonna be gone, we may be having a jazz festival (of sorts) in the back yard this weekend.
Yes, Ani, this is the time of year that I do get homesick. Especially when the Cubs are playing so well! There is just so much to do in the city even if you are on your own. Now, once the temps go below 60 degrees, then, I am perfectly content in Charlotte!

Brian, that Beatles tour sounds fanatastic! I have actually been to the (real) Liverpool (England) and took the Magical Mystery Tour. It was great! Hope that you make it there!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,203 times
I live smack in the middle of a tourist destination and let me tell you, it's dead here. So lots of folks must be taking a staycation. I was out and about yesterday and one would never know it was a holiday weekend. Hopefully the tourist showed up late last night or will this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: