Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:58 PM

876 posts, read 3,780,008 times

Advertisements

lol@property value in Newton. You could buy an entire city block for $100K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 10:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,273,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
lol@property value in Newton. You could buy an entire city block for $100K
Hey lets all move there and buld the perfect city-data town.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Hey lets all move there and buld the perfect city-data town.
I'd shoot for Maiden first. If you drove through Newton you would understand. LOL.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,113,264 times
Newton has possibilities, tho. There are still some houses there that are turn of the century . . . and the old courthouse has possibilities, as well . . . the town square is a classic design . . . I have always thought Newton would make the perfect movie set for a period film. At least - the "bones" of the town would.

I wish I did have the money to invest in a revival in Newton. I would happily do it.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Newton has possibilities, tho. There are still some houses there that are turn of the century . . . and the old courthouse has possibilities, as well . . . the town square is a classic design . . . I have always thought Newton would make the perfect movie set for a period film. At least - the "bones" of the town would.

I wish I did have the money to invest in a revival in Newton. I would happily do it.
between u, me, sunny, and some other investors, lets do it!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
between u, me, sunny, and some other investors, lets do it!
I think we all have great ideas!!! And somehow, I think we would all agree on the things that would "revive" Newton.

Let's see . . .

1. Free WiFi all over the town
2. Gotta have a really neat coffee shop/bakery - I mean, a REAL bakery
3. Bookstore
4. Some cool shops . . . boutiques
5. Get Tanger or someone to put up an outdoor type outlet, using existing buildings - how is that? Or no?
6. Farmer's market 3 seasons of the year . . . street is closed off European style, put up stalls and umbrellas
7. Encourage bicycle and motorbike use in downtown area
8. Carriage rides
9. Nursery/Florist
10. Old fashioned barber shop decor (including rotating pole outside) but top notch salon inside - unisex
11. Art Gallery featuring NC/SC artists
12. Great Diner - serving Blue Plate specials, amongst other comfort foods
13. Old fashioned ice cream shop, w/ soda fountain
14. Apple Store
15. Pub - serving good pub food, several good beers and ale from the mini-brewery . . . w/ local blue grass and folk musicians in the evenings
16. Mini- Brewery named "Velocity" (after Newton's Second Law). . . Catawba Blackberry Ale . . . Mountain View Pale Ale . . . Newton's # 2 Hearty Ale
17. BBQ joint . . . let's see . . . what will we call it . . . Sunny, how about the Pork Rind?

Lots of outdoor gathering areas . . .so people can sit outside and use their laptops, blackberries, Iphones, etc.

How is that for a start?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

How is that for a start?
no fast food joints though.

so, what do we need, $10-20M to buy out the locals? LOL

Old 08-31-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
no fast food joints though.

so, what do we need, $10-20M to buy out the locals? LOL
There can be fast foods on the outer perimeter.

I guess we need at least that . . . anyone have the money?

We could do a nice doggie daycare off Main someplace . . .

Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,273,706 times
I cannot comment since I never been to Newton. Next time I up in Vale NC Ill cross the county border and check it out.

I been to blink I miss the town type of towns in this state is it similar to Cherryville , Denton, Vale NC.

Ok I just look it up since I only knew it was in Catawba County but wasnt sure where... It could have potential whenever they finish the New Hwy 16 wait.... there a town called Duan.

I could have fun with that town name.. What you Duan? Hanging out in Duan is what I am Duan.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I cannot comment since I never been to Newton. Next time I up in Vale NC Ill cross the county border and check it out.

I been to blink I miss the town type of towns in this state is it similar to Cherryville , Denton, Vale NC.

Ok I just look it up since I only knew it was in Catawba County but wasnt sure where... It could have potential whenever they finish the New Hwy 16 wait.... there a town called Duan.

I could have fun with that town name.. What you Duan? Hanging out in Duan is what I am Duan.
ROFL! Okay, I have never heard of Duan. Seriously - there is a burg named Duan???

Let me tell you about Newton . . . it is the county seat and used to be a lovely town. Pictures of Newton at the turn of the 20th C reveal a very charming area. Gingerbread houses, wide streets. Old Southern aristocracy and a John Grisham novel type of ambience - hot summer days w/ lemonade consumed on porch swings . . . sidewalks throughout the town . . . friendly shopkeepers . . .

I have relatives there who own historic property . . . and it is sad to see the decay that has set in . . . I have spent times in attics in those old houses, playing croquet in back yards, riding bikes throughout the town. Newton in the 60s was a spot where Andy of Mayberry could have been produced, LOL.

I look at Newton and see what could be - and what used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte