Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 9,301 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We live in Charlotte's Meck county and am looking into moving into Cabarrus county (around Concord area) with our family. We know the Highland Creek area is the place to be for growth, development, schools and resale values around northeast Charlotte area. I already checked quite a few properties out around Concord area. I like the Winding Walk area layout for Shea homes that has good appeal since most of them have a brick front, and will be checking out St. Lawrence homes near the Concord mall area this evening. Assuming the floor plans I saw were good in both Shea and St. Lawrence and the plan is to go for an unfinished basement home, the question is....

1) Which one of these 2 areas would you consider better in appeal and value - Shea's Winding Walk, or St. Lawrence Homes in Highland Creek?

2) Who is considered better in construction?

3) Which one of these builders is bang for the buck as far as standard and upgrades go?

4) Anything to watch out for as far as 'empty' promises go from either one?

5) Do any of them take energy-efficient home requests like asking for energy-star windows and doors, and tight duct construction throughout? (I noticed that St. Lawrence homes have better insulation (R-15) for the walls than Shea's R-13 based on the webpage info). Dang, I wish Centex made some homes in the area where I was looking for since they are all tightly constructed by default...

6) Which one has a better finish in the interiors based on feedback or personal experience?

....I know its a lot of questions, but anything to help me will be much appreciated. I'm sure there are others out there wondering the same.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 11:55 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,807,371 times
I think both areas are nice and will continue to be. The only factor would be the traffic around the mall in relation to where you would be living.

Make sure you read over your contract before signing anything with the builder as you may not get you money back should you decide to move on to something else.

As far as materials I believe its going to be almost impossible to have the builder order another brand than what they use as they buy in bulk and use sub contractors. This is how they get the discount.

Any promises you get make sure you have them in writing also remember this is a buyer beware state meaning the rep at the model home has the builders best interest at heart. Get a Realtor if you do not have one.

Let me know if you need any help or other questions.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I think both areas are nice and will continue to be. The only factor would be the traffic around the mall in relation to where you would be living.

Make sure you read over your contract before signing anything with the builder as you may not get you money back should you decide to move on to something else.

As far as materials I believe its going to be almost impossible to have the builder order another brand than what they use as they buy in bulk and use sub contractors. This is how they get the discount.

Any promises you get make sure you have them in writing also remember this is a buyer beware state meaning the rep at the model home has the builders best interest at heart. Get a Realtor if you do not have one.

Let me know if you need any help or other questions.
Thx. Yes, I did think of the traffic congestion around the mall entrance, which may not be a good thing for St. Lawrence homes area, but ok for Shea since it's one exit away. I had already confirmed the info from Shea saying that they would not refund any of the earnest money given to them if the contract is broken for whatever reason.... and what if they didn't live up to their bargain, then what? I have to see if St. Lawrence is the same or not. I do have an agent and will bring him on before signup. Good tip.

As far as better resale value and construction goes, which one of the two is better in the Charlotte region?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte