Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 PM

15 posts, read 117,262 times

Advertisements

: Do Tornadoes ever hit the Charlotte/Fort Mill area.
Thinking of moving to Fort Mill @ Sun City. Is this a nice area to live in? Is it a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 06:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie214 View Post
: Do Tornadoes ever hit the Charlotte/Fort Mill area.
Thinking of moving to Fort Mill @ Sun City. Is this a nice area to live in? Is it a safe area?
Not often. Once or twice a year you hear of one touching down somewhere in the surrounding counties, but in Charlotte itself I think it's been several years - to the best of my recollection. Sun City looks like it's going to be just great - you could do a whole lot worse than living there!

Old 02-02-2007, 07:28 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Last time one hit it was north in Gaston County & Mooresville, but they are fairly rare.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
I'm a little mystified at the way people dither about tornadoes striking this area This isn't the first post bringing up the worries about tornadoes.

There are other weather patterns of greater frequency around here that cause damage. Probably one of the most notorious was a microburst created by a thunderstorm that brought down a plane over the Charlotte airport in 1994
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_1016

We've lived in the Piedmont 20 years and have seen freakish straight-line winds come out of the mountains and create quite a tempest. We've seen ice storms that pulled the weak-rooted pine trees out of the ground and block roads. I worry more about the plain ol' thunder and lightning storms that pop up in the late afternoons during the summer. Our satellite dish has been zapped three times, causing the expensive replacement of parts. Lightning struck close enough to an outbuilding that it fried the wiring. We cut back the pine trees surrounding our house because they are easily toppled by just plain high winds.

Tornadoes do occur in NC, but not with enough regularity (IMO) to cause a greater concern than other kinds of weather damage

Old 02-02-2007, 11:10 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
Tornados hit anywhere in North or South Carolina. You can't escape that anywhere. I would say overall we get our fair share every year. Just look at that map.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Tornados hit anywhere in North or South Carolina. You can't escape that anywhere. I would say overall we get our fair share every year. Just look at that map.
That's a summary over a ~50 year period. NC ranks close to the middle scale as far as tornado occurances. When we do have them, they make big news.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/p...6049/-1/news29
Quote:
But deadly tornadoes are rare in North Carolina. Boyles said Thursday's tornado in Riegelwood was Columbus County's first fatal twister and only the 15th observed tornado since 1950.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, North Carolina averaged 19 tornadoes a year between 1953 and 2004. That was fewer than all Southern states except for South Carolina and Tennessee. Florida leads the list with an average of 55 twisters.

The Disaster Center ranked North Carolina 22nd in the nation for tornado frequency and 20th for the number of deaths, with an average of two, between 1950 and 1995.
I'd still be more worried about getting on the road during one of our infrequent ice storms and having someone plow into me than tornadoes. But I'm from the Midwest, where we grow up with the yearly threat of twisters. One becomes more sanguine about them, living in states like NC

Old 02-03-2007, 04:24 AM

286 posts, read 946,448 times
I Have been to Charlotte two times, once in july 06 and once in jan 07. This past summer there were very bad thunder/lightning storms, with down pours. I had to stop on the road and hide under an overpass for about an hour. Only to get back to my hotel and have the rain gush under the door-LOL
In january we were in gaston county-toronado hit there we were driving away from that-all i could think of is-where do you hide,no basements'
So two times strange weather in charlotte-but i love it there and cant wait to move this spring. Where i live now-central ny-we have had some toronados,earthquakes,etc-so reallly is there any safe place-nahh, dont let it stop you for what you want-good luck

Old 02-03-2007, 04:45 AM

165 posts, read 884,330 times
Where can you live and have no chance of ever being impacted by weather?

And for that matter the odds of weather related accidents or property damage are small.

I have lived in FLorida 27 years and have not had a disaster to me or my family.
I realize that it could happen today, but thats true if I live in NC or FL......

Last edited by Ed&Betty; 02-03-2007 at 05:03 AM..

Old 02-03-2007, 06:21 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Another map.

Mitchell, Ashe and Polk counties are the ones with no observed tornado activity during the time period indicated.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:04 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
They can happen, but it's rare. I've lived here in the Charlotte area all of my 41 years and have never seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte