U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:38 PM

452 posts, read 2,124,752 times

Advertisements

Hugo was scary.....I was about 10???? and at the time about 45 minutes north of Charlotte. The tornadoes were very scary.....the power outages were pretty bad in some cases, power out for weeks...I remember the traffic lights were out all over Charlotte at some bad intersections, it was chaos. No one was prepared for that.

The storm itself was pretty bad with the sustained winds but it was spawning tornadoes all around me. An entire forest of trees behind our house was staying bent to the ground from the force of the wind, trees snapping everywhere. First and only storm where I have ever taken shelter in a basement and prayed.

I also remember Diana in the 80s...sent tornadoes through Bennettsville.

My inlaws remember Hazel which I think destroyed an entire beach island (Ocean Isle) of beach houses and now the "first row" is "second street" on one end. The road that used to be the ocean front road, what's left of it, is now under the tide. They are convinced we are due for another "big one" (Cat 4 or 5 to hit Brunswick County directly)--I don't think such a scene would affect Charlotte, but the ones coming on land around Charleston always ,always make me think of Hugo and what it did to Charlotte and inland! Scary.

For Hanna, I'm at Ocean Isle Beach/Shallotte area. If it comes in at Charleston I won't be worried here but will be afraid for family back home (Charlotte).....if it comes in higher up, if it gets too close, I'll be wary but it doesn't seem like it is going to be stronger than a Category 1 or 2......just a hunch....please don't let me be wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
WBTV has a good preparation list:

WBTV 3 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Charlotte, NC | Preparing for Hurricane Hanna

It really does not look to be as bad as Hugo, but, still, we need to be careful. When they were talking about Hugo coming here, I figured that they were exaggeraging...we are 300 miles inland, after all...and did not prepare at all. I quickly learned to regret that. Won't make that mistake again.

Plus, I am not a geologist or anything, but, with our recent rains from Fran, isn't our ground saturated so that if we had another huge deluge flooding would be even more probable?? Just thinking that since clay really does not absorb much...

Bottom line, be prepared.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,947 times
Ah, yes! Count me among the unprepared when Hugo hit. Weather forecasters sent us to bed, telling us to manage our lawn furniture for some windy conditions. Woke up with trees down everywhere and power out in our neighborhood for 10 days.

We were on well and septic at the time, so with no electricity, no water or toilet. Everything refrigerated spoiled. Grocery stores were closed, or opened only by chaperone to get necessities. Quickly, all stores were wiped out of batteries, matches, any nonperishable foods (crackers, tuna), water, flashlights, oil lamps, propane tanks, generators, chainsaws. I had small kids at the time...it was an adventure to figure out how to feed them (tonight's meal is Vienna sausages and crackers with water!) and keep them clean (add baby wipes to the grocery list).

As the streets were cleared of debris and power lines, and as some folks got power back, we got by with a little help from our friends (running laundry loads to neighbors and grabbing a shower where we could find one).

So, as we watch Hanna aiming for Charleston, I'm inclined to head to the grocery store for some provisions.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Good thread. We should all be prepared "just in case." Hugo changed my life - that is why I am so into preparation and watching hurricanes very carefully!

I don't think Hanna will strengthen enuff to be another Hugo . . . but indeed, as ChiCubs suggested . . . w/ all the rain lately . . . that will surely cause some problems w/ flooding and run-off water . . .

I mention batteries again . . . get whatever you need for flashlights, portable TVS, radios . . .and if you do not have a weather radio - why not get one now??? Also, DH just remembered he was low on hearing aid batteries!

Make sure your phones are charged . . . get a phone WITH A CORD as phones will stay operational for a while even w/ electricity off - and that way, you can stay in touch w/ Duke Power . . .

Take a good look around your property NOW, so you are not stuck w/ last minute worries should we indeed have a hurricane hit at a Cat 3 and head up this way. There could still be high winds if that happened. What is on your property that you should move? In addition - any limbs or unsteady trees - now is the time to address it.

Don't forget - even if Hanna turns out to be a tropical storm by the time she gets here . . . tornadoes can be spawned . . . and that means if you do not have a radio, weather radio or portable TV to keep you in touch . . . how would you know? That is why it is important to have some source to keep you in touch w/ the outside world.

Keep your gas tanks topped off - if electricity goes off, you can't pump gas! Keep some cash as you won't be able to use an ATM w/o electricity.

Now is also the time to check in w/ relatives and friends . . . and figure out a contact plan should you end up w/ power off for days. Would you want to travel some place else? Should family members meet you somewhere? Make those decisions NOW and inform all parties . . . so no confusion at the last minute.

If you or a family member is dependent on medical services, think about how you will handle that. For example, one of my friends has parents in Lake Charles, LA, and her dad is dependent on Dialysis. The concern was to find a hotel room in a city that most likely would not lose power and where her dad could continue w/ dialysis today.

Need a dog or cat carrier? Go ahead and get one NOW so you don't run into a last minute situation should you need to load up and leave at some point.

Hanna or no Hanna, it is a good idea to have your important papers together and easily accessible. Take the time this week to do that. Also, put them all in ziplock bags so they are protected from water damage. What falls into category of important papers? Homeowner's and vehicle insurance policies, medical insurance info, titles to vehicles, marriage certificate, diplomas, stock certificates, vaccination records, checking/savings account info, credit card info, passports, pet papers/records, birth certificates, etc.

And don't forget the toilet paper, LOL.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 AM

371 posts, read 985,978 times
We were hoping to head to the beach this weekend. Looks like those plans might be put on hold....keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,477,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
It was in 1989- It was a cat. 3 when it came through Charlotte.

Here's a good thread.

Hurricane Hugo
I thought it was a Cat 1 when it got to us. Are you sure it was a 3?

Anyway, I'll probably grab a few cases of water and some batteries and little else. I don't think I'm going to try and get a generator just yet but I was here in Charlotte in '89 and was w/o power for 14 days. We also lost power a few winters ago for 8 days. NO FUN being without power. Especially when you live in an area with no water/sewer utilities.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I thought it was a Cat 1 when it got to us. Are you sure it was a 3?

Anyway, I'll probably grab a few cases of water and some batteries and little else. I don't think I'm going to try and get a generator just yet but I was here in Charlotte in '89 and was w/o power for 14 days. We also lost power a few winters ago for 8 days. NO FUN being without power. Especially when you live in an area with no water/sewer utilities.
Believe you are right. Scary that all the damage Ive read about was done by a Cat 1 storm!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,477,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Believe you are right. Scary that all the damage Ive read about was done by a Cat 1 storm!
I guess the farther inland these things come the less the land is used to the battering.

In other words a Cat 2 on the coast is bad enough but even Tropical Storm winds inland is rough when the tress and vegetation isn't used to the wind and saturating rain.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Here is a good description of what 85 mph winds did in this region - note - I have read that the winds gusted higher than that, but anyway, this is a nice snapshot:

"As the center of the storm rolled past Charlotte, wind gusts of over 85 mph buffeted the region. Trees crashed into homes, cars, and power lines, and utility poles snapped. Charlotte lost more than eighty thousand trees to the storm, many of which were more than seventy years old. Ninety-eight percent of the city's residents lost power, and for some, repairs were not made for more than two weeks. Power outages caused large amounts of raw sewage to bypass treatment plants and flow into streams throughout Mecklenburg County. North Carolina's largest metropolitan area was brought to its knees by the storm."

Jay Barnes on Hurricanes | North Carolina's Hurricane History | Hurricane Hugo

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 PM

133 posts, read 287,922 times
Another preparation: Make friends with people who have a pool if you are on a well. You can you use the water to flush toilets.

I had friends who came over to my house to take showers when Hugo hit. I was a junior in high school, so we thought being out of school for a week was great. Also, we used the rack out of the oven and made a crazy looking grill with charcoal and bricks outside to cook. That was the first time I tasted instant coffee (and at the time it was GOOD).

The thing that sticks in my mind, is after the storm passed, as I was driving around (looking for a store that was open and more batteries), the streets were creepy dark. The city streets, the out in the country streets, I mean, all of them were dark because there was no electricity.

I remember one home in Belmont, who had trees surrounding the whole house, but the only thing that was damaged was the car. The only tree in the middle of the side yard fell and split the car right down the middle. It was so movie like, but I am sure that the family was grateful that not one tree hit their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte