Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 AM

148 posts, read 562,651 times

Advertisements

I know it is early, but being new to the area the kids and I were looking online for places to get pumpkins and where to find other fall activities. We came across these sites and I thought it might be helpful to other folks new to the area who will celebrate their first Halloween here in NC.

Where to find pumpkin patches, Corn Mazes, Hayrides and More in North Carolina - and other useful Halloween information!
Where to find pumpkin patches, Corn Mazes, Hayrides and More in South Carolina - and other useful Halloween information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:36 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,008 times
It's not necessarily an activity place, but the NC Farmer's Market on Yorkmont (near Billy Graham & Tyvola) has some great pumpkins and other fall decorations. we got two large pumpkins and a bale of hay for decorating last year for under $20.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 AM

148 posts, read 562,651 times
Is that the same Farmer's Market that you pass signs for on the way to the airport coming from the south? I always wondered if that was worth going to.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,492 times
Default Aw Shucks Corn Maze

There is a big corn maze in Union County. Used to be in Marshville, but this year has moved to Monroe:

Aw Shucks! Corn Maze - Monroe, NC

Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 AM

371 posts, read 1,101,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
Is that the same Farmer's Market that you pass signs for on the way to the airport coming from the south? I always wondered if that was worth going to.

Yes, and it is worth going to! Especially on a Saturday....the place is packed.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 AM

Yes, it's the same farmer's market. Get there early though...and make sure it's Saturday (it's open on Sundays too, but it's a ghost town...but I think the last Sunday it's open was last Sunday). We got there around 11am one Saturday and vendors were already packing up! I asked what was going on and someone told me "they're farmers...their day starts early." So I would say maybe 8-9am is the optimum time to go.

If you're out that way, the Asheville Farmer's Market is superb. We go every time we're out there. It's right off of I-409 just before you get to the city...there are signs pointing the way.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:45 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,375,838 times
Does anyone know where I can purchase pumpkins at either wholesale prices or a really good discounted rate???

We want to have a "Pumpkin Patch" at our Community Harvest Fair next month (which will be a public event).

THANKS!

BxRosie

Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 PM

Typically farms offer a contract-type service for those kinds of sales. For instance, my church back in FL used a farm out of New Mexico (I think) that would send truckloads at a time, as needed. They'd pay nothing up front, and they kept a percentage of the sales...the percentage grew as the sales did. Something like 10% for the first $1,000, 15% for $1000-$3000...and I'm just guessing at the numbers here. This way, they didn't have to front money and risk not selling.

It's probably too late to get any deal worked up like this with the major suppliers...but I'd contact a local farmer and see what they could do for you. I doubt a retail sales stand is going to give any sort fo discount big enough to make it worth your while.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:08 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,375,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Typically farms offer a contract-type service for those kinds of sales. For instance, my church back in FL used a farm out of New Mexico (I think) that would send truckloads at a time, as needed. They'd pay nothing up front, and they kept a percentage of the sales...the percentage grew as the sales did. Something like 10% for the first $1,000, 15% for $1000-$3000...and I'm just guessing at the numbers here. This way, they didn't have to front money and risk not selling.

It's probably too late to get any deal worked up like this with the major suppliers...but I'd contact a local farmer and see what they could do for you. I doubt a retail sales stand is going to give any sort fo discount big enough to make it worth your while.
THANKS for the info!

We were supposed to be able to purchase pumpkins from a farm that someone here had a conncetion with. I just found out today that they (the farm) are no longer doing this I wish I had known earlier. We're not looking for a huge amount, maybe just a pallet size like you see at the supermarket...about 50-100 pumpkins of various sizes. Patterson Farms is near enough to us, I might go there & ask.

BxRosie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte