U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2008, 02:11 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,037,185 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I need my home locks rekeyed. Does anyone know of someone that does this. I live in the south side of Ballantyne.

Also, do you know how much this should cost? Should I take the locks off and take them to a hardware store? Would that cost less or do they not offer that service there?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM

852 posts, read 1,648,447 times
Eastway lock and Key. $70 service charge and about $9.50 per keyhole. If you take locks off and take them to store of course no service charge just $9.50 per keyhole. Don't forget if you take locks off leave someone at home!!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Eastway lock and Key. $70 service charge and about $9.50 per keyhole. If you take locks off and take them to store of course no service charge just $9.50 per keyhole. Don't forget if you take locks off leave someone at home!!
Can I take them to Home Depot/Lowes or only to a locksmith?

Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM

852 posts, read 1,648,447 times
I think lowes do it but I don't believe the people who work in the locksmith area are qualified locksmiths - but that is not necessarily saying they don't do a good job.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:13 PM

Well, as long as the key fits and opens the lock, that's all that matters. I really need the lowest price option.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:58 PM

16,473 posts, read 31,224,125 times
Taking a lock off may not be easy and getting it back in right may be a lot harder than you think. If you do it, start early on a day where you are off work, just in case. I have always used a locksmith - call around and ask for prices. No harm in comparision shopping.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,950,664 times
I know Home Depot used to do it for a $5 charge per cylinder (key hole). I know because I used to do it when I worked in hardware. It has nothing to do with being a locksmith...but everything to do with "does the person really know what they're doing?" I know this because the first time I tried to do it without fully knowing how to, I locked up someone's expensive lock and had to give them a free one!

As I last understood it though, Home Depot is not supposed to do this service anymore because of the few mishaps that happened every so often. You can still try though...I bet if you find someone in hardware that's been there for a while, they'd still do it. I know they do it for locks you buy there off the shelf...so they still have the ability.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,136,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Hi everyone,

I need my home locks rekeyed. Does anyone know of someone that does this. I live in the south side of Ballantyne.

Also, do you know how much this should cost? Should I take the locks off and take them to a hardware store? Would that cost less or do they not offer that service there?

Thanks for your help.
Very simple. Just look up locksmiths and give them a call to compare prices. They will come to your house, change the licks, and sell you the keys while there. I believe that the whole ordeal cost me around $40-$50. Well worth it.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:57 PM

22 posts, read 48,109 times
I know it is a month later, but A-Access Lock and Key is a great locksmith company as well. They are National Locksmith members. Their website is A-Access Lock & Key | Charlotte, N.C. and phone number 704-365-1571. And members of the Mint Hill Chamber of commerce. My friend had used them as well. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte