Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
iar iar started this thread

5 posts, read 14,299 times

Advertisements

I am headed to Wake Forest in January for a part-time MBA and would love to know where you MBAs are working now. What company, industry, and field do you work in? How's the job market for MBAs in your opinion?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by iar; 09-05-2008 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,986 times
Well, that's an extremely broad question. We're everywhere. An MBA is not a substitute for experience, but is definitely an awesome add on to your resume.

I've been in retail and manufacturing... mostly business analysis. I have friends with MBA's in Banking and even running their own business.

It's not what your degree is in that matters as much as where your experience lies.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:40 AM

Thanks MommyV, but maybe I should clarify. I was more interested in hearing about how everyone's work experience has been with an MBA (how did it help them) and how they think the job market is for MBAs now.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 AM

284 posts, read 606,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iar View Post
Thanks MommyV, but maybe I should clarify. I was more interested in hearing about how everyone's work experience has been with an MBA (how did it help them) and how they think the job market is for MBAs now.

Thanks in advance.
I had three years of work experience out of undergrad before I went back full-time for my MBA. I was a pretty young MBA, finishing at 25. For what it's worth, I finished in 2000 and tripled my salary from what I was making before business school. I had numerous job offers - again, this was in 2000 before recession, 9/11, etc and MBAs were still having money thrown their way.

I went directly into management consulting, worked there for five years and then started working in enterprise project management in the HR outsourcing/software industry. I've had two roles with my company since then. Now I work out of my house, travel to client sites when I need to, etc.

I have hiring responsibilities for my job and even though I have my MBA from a top 50 business school, I can honestly say I prefer to see the exact experience I'm looking for. The MBA on a resume tells me I likely have someone well-rounded with a solid depth and breadth of business experience - but the trends I see in most industries are towards specialization. So my recommendation when going to B-school is to find a specialization track, certificate track, or concentration that's really what you love. Maybe it's technology, maybe it's finance - but you want to bank on your experience, as well as your MBA with that specific concentration when you're back in the job market.

Hope what I said makes sense, and best of luck!

Last edited by Gator803; 09-08-2008 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-08-2008, 12:01 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,802 times
I would check with your B-schools career office and find out where their grauduates are going, find out what % of them got offers, starting salary etc.

The reason I say this is because most of the "good" or sought after MBA jobs are typically filled through school recruitment. If you are just an average MBA out on the job market you will be hard pressed to get into some of the more highly paid jobs such as investment banking.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:46 PM

Default Perfect...

Thanks Gator803, that's exactly what I was wanting to know. I actually have 5 years of work experience and am 27. So when I graduate with an MBA I'll be 29 and looking for a career in operations mgt or supply chain mgt. I've been in sales and a buyer with a local engineering company for the last 3 years.

I've noticed supply chain mgt and procurement consulting is gaining steam in the industry, but I'm not keen on all the travel typically done by consultants.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,647 times
Yeah the travel can definitely be a bit overwhelming. I recently took a position that fits your basic description. Two guys in my recruiting class had MBA's and were placed in procurement. From what they were saying, the industry is still growing and is competitive because companies always want to figure out ways to improve efficiency while eliminating excess cost so the recession doesn't seem to have hurt too much so far at least.

Though my travel is extensive. Most people in my practice spend an average of 200 to 250 days on the road, working 5/4/3. 4 days at the client site and 3 days at home each week. It can be overwhelming, but depending on what your situation is, it might be something to consider. While on the road you live pretty much for free, most weeks I actually can turn a slight profit for those four days and you don't incur the additional cost at home from using electicity and water.

Example: Just a quick example - for the last two months I've been working up in Philly, flying up Monday mornings and home usually Thursday nights. I get a daily meal allowance of $47 each day which usually I spend 4 dollars on breakfast, bout 8-10 on lunch, and maybe twenty on dinner for a maybe a 10-15 dollar profit each day. Plus I can expense my mileage to the airport which comes out to another 15 dollars each week, it adds up nicely.

Of course if you have a family this may be difficult, just cuz the time away. just my 2 cents.

Addition: Both guys stated that they were recruited by BoA. This would have been last October, so things may have changed and I'm not sure what the travel requirements would have been, but just some side information. They were at Georgia Tech and Purdue.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 09-08-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Sloppy spelling, hooked on phonics didn't work for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:54 PM

284 posts, read 606,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iar View Post
Thanks Gator803, that's exactly what I was wanting to know. I actually have 5 years of work experience and am 27. So when I graduate with an MBA I'll be 29 and looking for a career in operations mgt or supply chain mgt. I've been in sales and a buyer with a local engineering company for the last 3 years.

I've noticed supply chain mgt and procurement consulting is gaining steam in the industry, but I'm not keen on all the travel typically done by consultants.
U of Florida (shocker I went there, given my name here) offers a certificate in supply chain management - I didn't go that route, but it was a pretty popular cert to get. Several people went to work in logistics, etc - if you're interested in that I would pursue it as I think you'd have some demand for your skillset. I'm sure Wake has a cert like that, or something along those lines.

I personally think the MBA is a great decision for anyone looking to open more doors, and in your 20s with some work experience it means you have enough experience to contribute to some great classroom discussions and projects, but you'll also be young enough when you finish that you can change directions if you want, or build on what you already have. Congrats on what I think is a wise decision.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 PM

797 posts, read 3,295,817 times
MBA def. boosted the career and doubled salary.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 16,230 times
Not to discourage you but I have my MBA and Im unemployed. Im in social services and it helpsed with obtaining management level positions. Also I noticed that many in my classes were engineers and they were going for MBA's for managment level positions as well. Knowing what I know now, I would have concentrated in Finance instead of selecting Management, its too broad (from my experience, im not saying this is what another would experience). Good Luck to ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte