U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 15,330 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Union County for work. My fiancee is a New Yorker (Brooklyn born, grew up in Staten Island then lived in Manhattan). It took a little convincing but she now wants to try Charlotte (my job opportunity is too good to pass up). I'll be working in Stallings and Monroe.

Any recommendations on where to live? We've been down once and have studied the internet sites. Weddington seems appealing due to its close location to 485 (can get to city easily) and great homes.

Barrington looks very nice as well. We are looking at 350-400K homes.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 08:40 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
Default Happy New Yorkers in NC

If you like urban life you might like to try an Uptown Condo. If you want a single family home the Dilworth Area is nice. If you like suburban living Union County is beautiful. The commute Uptown from Union Co. can be a bummer during rush hour but I've had clients choose it anyway. Send me a pm if you want to get a web address where you can view all available homes, townhomes, condo in all areas. It might help you decide. Good luck with the move!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 15,330 times
I have to be close (about 20 min drive) to Stallings and Monroe for work.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:02 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
Default New Yorker in Union CO

In that case, Weddington, Wesley Chapel, and Marvin are good areas to look at. You mentioned Barrington, that's a good community. Shea Homes is a reputable builder.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 49,056 times
Default nyer's happiness

As native NYers living in Union County, I can relate! You'll find lots to do especially in western Union. I noticed you're looking at Barrington. Nice neighborhood. Have you considered either Cureton or the Chmney at Marvin? Worth a look. having gotten into real estate since I've been here, in that price range, you've got good choices.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:48 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,096,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDK1 View Post
Looking to relocate to Union County for work. My fiancee is a New Yorker (Brooklyn born, grew up in Staten Island then lived in Manhattan). It took a little convincing but she now wants to try Charlotte (my job opportunity is too good to pass up). I'll be working in Stallings and Monroe.

Any recommendations on where to live? We've been down once and have studied the internet sites. Weddington seems appealing due to its close location to 485 (can get to city easily) and great homes.

Thanks.
tAKE THE JOB!!!!!!! Where in Brooklyn - I lived there for 3 years while at King's County!!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:20 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,758,855 times
YES take the job, we are born and raised and lived in brooklyn all of our lives before going to Staten Island, now living in jersey for 8 years and moving to Marvin/Weddington/Waxhaw area and cant wait..My best friend is still in brooklyn and thank god she is getting out she is moving to union county as well....

If u are looking in that price range because we are too, look into Hunter Oaks, Somerset, The Reserve, Quellin, Cureton isnt as close as you think its off of providence rd, we looked there and its a bit too far for dh commute to charlotte....also people are talking about a sewer plant right over there so make sure you do your homework.....

we loved cureton...but we dont want to build again....good luck to you..

Last edited by Swimmom32; 02-04-2007 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-04-2007, 05:24 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,547,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDK1 View Post

Thanks.
We also relocated from NY back in 1998...I think people thought we were crazy at that time, but now it seems like half the state is following! We love it here. If you are working in those areas, for sure Union county would work for you. Barrington is a very nice community. Lot sizes can be a little small though. Did you definitely want new construction? I am asking because you may have many more options in a resale. I would be happy to help -- feel free to PM me or check my website. Best of luck to you

Old 02-04-2007, 08:38 PM

197 posts, read 667,463 times
For 350-400k I'd buy a resale with a larger lot in Weddington - just my personal opinion. And is it just me or do the houses in Barrington feel like they are on top of each other? The houses are nice but the community makes me feel claustrophobic - again, just personal opinion.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:46 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,150,499 times
I agree. That is what we did. We have 2.5 acres and lots of trees between the houses for privacy. We couldn't live very comfortably in some of those neighborhoods.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
For 350-400k I'd buy a resale with a larger lot in Weddington - just my personal opinion. And is it just me or do the houses in Barrington feel like they are on top of each other? The houses are nice but the community makes me feel claustrophobic - again, just personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or