U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-11-2008, 07:21 AM

8,226 posts, read 9,124,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro01 View Post
I just wanted to say that this quote is not exactly accurate, The box stores are not able to employ as many "Professionals" because it would be very hard to explain to an experienced trades person that rather than take a $35.00+ per hour job doing the trade that they have trained at, they should accept a $15.00 or less job at a box store where they have no control over how the job is done. As for the part timers at both Lowes and Home Depot, they do get benefits from these companies. I can't speak for Lowes but I do know that at HD the benefits are just as good as those at most full time jobs.
There are good and bad things to be said about both stores. You should base your preference on personal experience not the judgment of others. Who is to say that you will have the same bad experience at the stores near you?
Quattro, back in the 80's and early 90's, the ratio of full-time to part time HD workers were approx 60/40 or 70/30. Nardelli came in and upped the ratio of more part time workers to "cut costs" (IE BENEFITS). It backfired because like I said, when they had more full time employees, you had a group of more knowledgeable people.

Remember when he was getting grilled? It was big news a couple years ago...

BW Online | January 17, 2003 | Home Depot's "Big Disappointment": Sales

I don't know if its improved in 2008 (probably has though)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-11-2008, 10:56 AM

95 posts, read 61,365 times
The best option is to find a reputable and licensed contractor. The problem with Lowes and HD is they sell the service to move the product. Nothing is done in house except selling the job. I have done many kitchen remodels for clients and I am always on the job. Lowes and HD just send subcontractors out on their own. Think of a GC as the conductor of the orchestra. He doens't play the music, but he gets everyone on the same page. Their prices aren't that great either to boot.

Unread 09-11-2008, 01:16 PM

498 posts, read 627,220 times
I have mixed feelings about Home Depot. I actually use to work there in the mid 90's. At the time it was a pretty decent place to work. Employee morale was high and if you purchased stock while working there you did pretty well. Towards the late 90's things there started to change for the worst. Managers left rapidly and turnover increased. Employee morale was at an all time low. Having a belief that things were not going to get better I made the wise decision to persue other avenues. Shortly after I left one of the owners made the mistake of putting salary caps on all the employees wages. In the same year the owner also decided to purchase the Atlanta Falcons. Do you see a correlation between the two? Hmmmm? Naturally this affected the quality of service a customer received at Home Depot. After all when your employees resent upper management within an organization it trickles down and effects everything. Hence my belief that the once great service oriented HD is now nothing more than the big blue box retailer we all love to hate so much.

Unread 09-16-2008, 03:15 PM

1,796 posts, read 3,596,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alroj View Post
Just had 2 bad experiences with HD, interested to know if that happened just to me ? Is Lowes better then HD? I'm looking to redo my kitchen....
What is it with HomeDepot lately?
TWICE this week I went to the one closest to my house and the employees seemed indifferent and completely out of it.

Unread 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM

34,048 posts, read 38,135,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
What is it with HomeDepot lately?
TWICE this week I went to the one closest to my house and the employees seemed indifferent and completely out of it.
Well, how disheartening! Is there a Lowe's nearby? I really don't need customer service for most places I shop . . . would just as soon people stay out of my way (I am a power shopper!! In and out!!!!) But when it comes to home improvement materials . . . I am gonna have questions. Somebody better be helpful.

I am a frequent flier at my nearby Lowe's . . . and there is hardly I time I go, when someone doesn't walk up and say "Is there anything I can help you find?" Maybe I just have a perpetually perplexed look on my face . . . but it does amaze me what level of assistance I receive when I shop at Lowe's.

Unread 09-17-2008, 06:57 AM

1,796 posts, read 3,596,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, how disheartening! Is there a Lowe's nearby? I really don't need customer service for most places I shop . . . would just as soon people stay out of my way (I am a power shopper!! In and out!!!!) But when it comes to home improvement materials . . . I am gonna have questions. Somebody better be helpful.

I am a frequent flier at my nearby Lowe's . . . and there is hardly I time I go, when someone doesn't walk up and say "Is there anything I can help you find?" Maybe I just have a perpetually perplexed look on my face . . . but it does amaze me what level of assistance I receive when I shop at Lowe's.
It's Lowe's for us from now on...
Ani, can't imagine you with a "perpetually perplexed look" on your face!
Got a chuckle out of it, though.

Unread 09-17-2008, 08:40 AM

12,047 posts, read 10,767,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Ani, there's one Home Depot in my area where you can get help. Lowes is the opposite. They always ask if they can help.

I got my paint at HD, but everything else came from Lowes. I got a sink & vanity at Lowes & everyone who has seen it thought I paid 3 times what I paid.

Unread 09-20-2008, 01:02 PM

143 posts, read 323,942 times
We prefer Lowes to HD a million to one. Now, we are biased, as my husband is in upper management with Lowes, but to be fair, my uncle was one of the original people who helped start HD, so we have ties to both.

That being said, keep in mind Lowes will not personally come out and do your install. Yes, they offer installs, however they hire out local subcontractors to do the work. So the quality of work may completely depend on the area you live in and what subcontractors are available in the area. Most of the problems I have heard of with installs, have been due to issues with the subcontractors. If you have any problems, contact the store where you made the purchase. My husband (although not in a NC store) won't think twice before removing a crappy subcontractor from a job and replacing them with someone who is going to do with their job. However, sometimes has to complain before he knows of issues with any subcontractor.

Give Lowes a chance and let them put together a job bid for you. They certainly will be competitive and will price match if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte