U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2007, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,070 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I may be moving to Charlotte this summer if he decides to start a grad program at UNC Charlotte. We would like to be in a neighborhood that is comprised of young professionals/grad students and that is somewhat close to the university. I am a consultant who travels by plane each week, so I'd like to be close to the airport if possible, but being close to the university is more important.

If we could find a 1BR for $800/month or less, that would be great. We both have cars, so we'd like parking to be accessible and fairly inexpensive. Also, we'd especially like neighborhoods with good restaurants, shopping and entertainment options. We have not visited Charlotte yet and have no idea where to start looking for apartments. Does anyone have any suggestions of areas that we should look at? We'd like to look at several different areas.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwing View Post
My boyfriend and I may be moving to Charlotte this summer if he decides to start a grad program at UNC Charlotte. We would like to be in a neighborhood that is comprised of young professionals/grad students and that is somewhat close to the university. I am a consultant who travels by plane each week, so I'd like to be close to the airport if possible, but being close to the university is more important.

If we could find a 1BR for $800/month or less, that would be great. We both have cars, so we'd like parking to be accessible and fairly inexpensive. Also, we'd especially like neighborhoods with good restaurants, shopping and entertainment options. We have not visited Charlotte yet and have no idea where to start looking for apartments. Does anyone have any suggestions of areas that we should look at? We'd like to look at several different areas.

Thanks in advance for your help!
The university area is not near the airport so since proximity to the college is more important I suggest you check out areas north of the campus going toward Harrisburg, Huntersville or Concord. Housing right around the campus is plagued with crime - so don't get too close to the school. Especially avoid anything on the opposite side of WT Harris Blvd from the campus - bad news. UNCC is mostly a suitcase college, so it doesn't have the same feel of a college town. But I'm sure there are plenty of young couples in the areas I mentioned. Just remember, do not rent anything on or behind Harris Blvd and you well be much better off. Oh, and that $800. a month will probably get you a two bedroom apartment

Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,070 times
Default thanks

Hey, thanks so much for the info! Just to follow up, what kind of crime are we talking about? I currently live in an "up and coming" neighborhood in center city Philadelphia. We have a drug ring on the block and have had two murders since september. Would you say the University area is comprable?

Also, if we didn't have locational constraints, what would be the most ideal place for a young professional and a grad student to live?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times
It not that bad just do not leave anything in your cars and lock the doors type of crime.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:37 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwing View Post
Hey, thanks so much for the info! Just to follow up, what kind of crime are we talking about? I currently live in an "up and coming" neighborhood in center city Philadelphia. We have a drug ring on the block and have had two murders since september. Would you say the University area is comprable?

Also, if we didn't have locational constraints, what would be the most ideal place for a young professional and a grad student to live?

Thanks!
No, you can't even compare the whole city of Charlotte to Philly, much less just the university section of Charlotte! The problems here are home invasions, car thefs, car breakins, muggings at night around campus or the apartment parking lots - that type of thing.

I personally think you would find you fit in, and I bet love, the Dilworth area on the southern edge of uptown. Good luck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or