U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:05 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,141,704 times

Advertisements

Where I grew up and learned to drive it was common practice to flash your headlights at people on the other side of the highway when they were approaching a radar point. Is this just a Northern thing? I don't see anyone do it here.

Yeah, yeah you're not supposed to do it according to the Man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 PM

25 posts, read 64,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Where I grew up and learned to drive it was common practice to flash your headlights at people on the other side of the highway when they were approaching a radar point. Is this just a Northern thing? I don't see anyone do it here.

Yeah, yeah you're not supposed to do it according to the Man.
I do it all the time. And I hope others would do the same!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:15 PM

624 posts, read 1,892,871 times
Sometimes people also do it to say that you don't have your headlights on (if you just have your parking lights on the dash still lights up at night) or to signal a tractor trailer that it is clear for them to come into your lane. A good truck driver will flash back to show appreciation after they have made the lane change.

In most cases it's just a friendly way to communicate. Of course there are exceptions but I do it too. (normal precautions obviously don't want to 'blind' anyone')

Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 PM

209 posts, read 619,167 times
I always appreciate it, usually only see speed traps on the main highways though or the matthews police on Independence.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,231,538 times
I wondered if it wasn't done around here, either. I always warn people if there's a speed trap, but I haven't seen it returned since we moved here.
If they're going to hide, I'm going to flash.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,622,254 times
If is after dusk I would not chance it.
My mom got a ticket for this in this state

I know your trying to do the right thing but just let you know there is a risk also involved .
I think the cop told her she could have blinded the oncoming driver by doing this.
Just this evening there was Ford type minivan I believe it was an Aero Star that apparently was traveling same direction I was and thankfully someone was driving near it because I didnt see it rear lights due to it must have been driving with day time running lamps at night

Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
Yeah, they hand out tickets here for flashing one's lights. Plus, w/ most people having radar detectors . . . I just don't think most people are willing to risk it.

Also, there was an email that was widely circulated in 1998 stating that DARE had issued a warning - b/c gangs were initiating members by killing drivers of cars who flashed their lights at them.

I believed the email and so did my friends. So we quit flashing our lights. Then I found Snopes and realized it was a hoax. I suspect others heard about this supposed gang initiation . . . and quit flashing their lights, too!!!

snopes.com: Flash Headlights Gang Initiation

Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,176,535 times
One of my friends a few years ago got a ticket for flashing her lights up in New York. I have also heard of people getting tickets down here. It's just not worth it.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 PM

209 posts, read 619,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Also, there was an email that was widely circulated in 1998 stating that DARE had issued a warning - b/c gangs were initiating members by killing drivers of cars who flashed their lights at them.

snopes.com: Flash Headlights Gang Initiation

lol, I remember hearing that, what a coincidence that the police where so kind to share this information

Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,794,306 times
We always flashed our lights up north as a courtesy to other drivers to warn them of possible hazardous conditions....accident up ahead....animal in the road....person walking on the road....debris on the road...stuff like that. Never knew they gave out tickets for flashing your lights.

BxRosie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or