U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 AM

9 posts, read 29,212 times

Advertisements

We are looking at homes in the Weddington and Waxhaw areas. Some of our friends are recommending the Ballantyne area because of close proximity to shopping, downtown and say it has excellent resale value.

We liked the homes at Lake Forest Preserve on Weddington Rd but have been told that traffic is a nightmare on Providence.

Any suggestions/comments on Orleans Home builders and buying homes in Weddington area. Is the moratorium on building homes going to affect home values. And how are the schools in Weddington. Will the opening of new Marvin Elementary and Middle schools affect the ratings on the Weddington schools?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
Default Scroll down for a Waxhaw house

Don't know if it's what you want, but there's a link showing a really cute waxhaw house further down this newsgroup. My husband wants to be by a lake, otherwise we'd be going down to take a look ourselves.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
Default Newcomer info

Hi Newcomer,

We bought in Ballantyne two years ago and have seen about a 15% appreciation. Union County is a good choice as well. Your questions could be best answered by a Buyer's Agent who knows your individual preferences and needs. If you don't have one and would like help, let me know. I'd be happy If you are interested you can click on my name aboveand go to "visit my homepage". You can contact me via e-mail from there.

Good luck

Old 02-05-2007, 08:22 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,150,499 times
If you live at the Preserve in Waxhaw, you don't have to use Providence.

We use Marvin Rd. to get to 521 and head up that way.

Dawn

Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,164,761 times
Contact south.charlotte&union, she's a member on this board and has been incredibly helpful to us. We were in the same situation you are in, several months ago. She showed us a few homes in the Ballantyne area and we love it there, but in the end, we made a re-sale purchase in Union County. If you want her contact info, please PM me. I can't post enough positive things about this person, because she has just taken so much fear out of this whole process for us. We felt like she instantly understood where we're coming from and what our needs and wants are. That can be a difficult task, IMHO... I can be a very "difficult" customer.
Good Luck to you! Hope this helps...

Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 58,907 times
Default Ballantyne Area vs Union County

Getting to and from Union County can be a problem. NC High Way 16 is Providence Rd. and is 4 lanes to i485 then 2 lane. The State is responsible for expansion and has been dragging its feet. (they don't like Charlotte in Raleigh). Ballantyne is in Mecklenburg Co. on i485. The new High School - Audrey Kell that is one of the best in Char Meck schools.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-05-2007 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 02-05-2007, 01:16 PM

197 posts, read 667,463 times
If you live in Lake Forest Preserve there are other ways to get in and out of Charlotte - weddington-matthews rd, rea rd, 74. I live right down the street from there and we just don't use Providence at traffic time - its no big deal.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:00 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,547,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltnewcomer View Post
We are looking at homes in the Weddington and Waxhaw areas. Some of our friends are recommending the Ballantyne area because of close proximity to shopping, downtown and say it has excellent resale value.

We liked the homes at Lake Forest Preserve on Weddington Rd but have been told that traffic is a nightmare on Providence.

Any suggestions/comments on Orleans Home builders and buying homes in Weddington area. Is the moratorium on building homes going to affect home values. And how are the schools in Weddington. Will the opening of new Marvin Elementary and Middle schools affect the ratings on the Weddington schools?

Thanks!
Thanks stmaarten

I agree with the previous poster -- while traffic can be difficult, there are ways around it. I like Orleans as a builder, but as businessperson said, with all new construction you are entitled and should absolutely have buyer representation. This cost is borne by the seller (in this case the builder). If nothing else it is another set of eyes on the home, particularly important if you are building from out of the area. Lake Forest Preserve is also near shopping areas, as well as being about 10-15 minutes from Ballantyne. I would say to follow your heart

For school reports check http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ Click on Union County and then scroll down to Weddington.

Marvin Elementary is already in existence (my children go there) but some currently attending Marvin Elementary (like my kids!) will be reassigned to Rea View Elementary. Marvin Ridge Middle and Marvin Ridge High School are scheduled to be open by next school year. They are splitting a lot of the kids out from Weddington Middle and High to populate those schools.

Feel free to contact me if you would like assistance in your relocation or would like a relocation packet (along with area maps) to be sent to you. Take care

Last edited by south.charlotte&union; 02-05-2007 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: too many typos!!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,132 times
Question Reviews on Lake Forest Preserve

Hi,

We are planning to sign up a contract with Orleans builder for the Lake forest Preseve, Weddington.
Some of the reviews are scary. It would be great if anyone can give reviews on the builder and the community.

Also, looks like there upgrade price are very high and standards are not good at all. Can any one suggest which upgrades is good to have now and what upgrades can be done later and spend less.

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,371,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLOTTEVANGELIST View Post
Getting to and from Union County can be a problem. NC High Way 16 is Providence Rd. and is 4 lanes to i485 then 2 lane. The State is responsible for expansion and has been dragging its feet. (they don't like Charlotte in Raleigh). Ballantyne is in Mecklenburg Co. on i485. The new High School - Audrey Kell that is one of the best in Char Meck schools.
Since this thread got bumped, I thought I'd update that since this post NC 16 has been widened to 4 lanes from I-485 south to Rea Road in Union County, south of NC 84.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or