U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,898,223 times

Advertisements

There needs to be a stoplight at the exit for Poplar Tent and 85. I don't understand why there isn't one. Who would I contact pertaining to this? DOT? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
What my neighbors and I did was gather 300 signatures along with several newspaper stories and presented them to the public works planning director...

It took awhile to get the stop light, but we had 4 way stop signs installed in less than a week.

Many of the people that signed the petition followed up with thank you letter to their city council in praise of the city's quick response to public safety.

We also had a back-up plan and that was to invite local medial to cover the problem. One TV station said they would send a reporter if we had 25 people protesting at the intersection.

It's either the squeaky wheel gets the grease or strength in number...

Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Ultra - I am impressed. What a great way to join forces and make something happen. Now that is the type of thing that shows what communities can do when people have a goal and stand together.

HIMAIN - Unless traffic studies support getting a signal light - you won't get the time of day from local or state authorities. So that's the first thing you may need to do - see if there have been traffic studies and get that info.

You can make phone calls or write letters - but one person making a phone call is not gonna get much of anywhere. Don't mean to sound cynical.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,740,012 times
The traffic counts do need to warrant a signal. Otherwise, you're going against decades of engineering research and documentation, and believe it or not, may be causing a bigger hazard than may already exist.

As far as who to contact, I'd start with the appropriate municipality of the intersection (presumably the City of Concord)...although, they may say jurisdiction lies with NCDOT.

I don't frequent the area, but I have driven through it (using the exit and not) a few times...didn't notice any glaring problems. Is it during certain times/conditions? What's the problem that you're seeing?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM

Steve - as is so often the case, you explained that much better than I, LOL!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM

Here is some info on traffic counts:

Traffic Counts (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Transportation/Traffic/Traffic+Counts.htm - broken link)

Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,898,223 times
There's always a lot of traffic with people trying to get off 85 coming nb and people trying to get on 85 to go north. It backs traffic up quite a bit on Poplar Tent and the exits itself. Its pretty dangerous because you really have to hit the gas so you don't get smushed by a dumptruck flying though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte