Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,673 times

Advertisements

hi, there
Can someone recommend an honest mechanic in uncc region (or anywhere in charlotte)? Thank you. My car got check engine light on and need to send to fix.
zl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 AM

85 posts, read 291,901 times
Default Looking For A Good Toyota Mechanic

What make of car do you have?

I take my Honda to Compact Cars on Independence Blvd. VERY HONEST! They specialize in Acura/Honda cars

I'm looking for a mechanic for my Toyota. I'm very disturbed by a common practice that the Toyota dealers use when I bring my car in for normal service. When you ask them to do a 30,000 mile service, you must be sure to tell them to only do the MANUFACTURERS recommended service (not the DEALER recommended service). It would have cost me almost $400 more had I not specifically asked for the manufacturers recommended 30K service. This was at the dealership on South Blvd. I called the one on Independence Blvd. and they were not much better. Now I feel like I'm getting ripped-off every time I go into a dealership and that's why I'm looking for a mechanic.

Last edited by TomO; 09-10-2008 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Added explanation

Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
What make of car do you have?

I take my Honda to Compact Cars on Independence Blvd. VERY HONEST! They specialize in Acura/Honda cars

I'm looking for a mechanic for my Toyota. I'm very disturbed by a common practice that the Toyota dealers use when I bring my car in for normal service. When you ask them to do a 30,000 mile service, you must be sure to tell them to only do the MANUFACTURERS recommended service (not the DEALER recommended service). It would have cost me almost $400 more had I not specifically asked for the manufacturers recommended 30K service. This was at the dealership on South Blvd. I called the one on Independence Blvd. and they were not much better. Now I feel like I'm getting ripped-off every time I go into a dealership and that's why I'm looking for a mechanic.
My car is mazda 97'. I always have a feeling that the mechanics in dealers always charge more than those on the street. The quality might be better, not sure.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM

677 posts, read 2,227,036 times
I had my camaro's clutch installed by a shop that's near the volvo dealer. If I can remember the name I will post it later on. There are quite a few shops in the 300' radius of this place and I wouldn't want to send you to the wrong one.

He didn't rip me off, did solid work, it just took him a couple days longer than he though.

Also I'm not 100% sure he worked on imports. Stay tuned.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,105 times
Hey go to tire kingdom in mathews ask for jay hes a tech there. they are honest and wont try to rip you off. call them 704-844-6960

Old 09-13-2008, 10:56 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,740,917 times
I have the best, most reasonably priced mechanic you can imagine! Go to Shepard Automotive on Independence in Charlotte. You will not be sorry. These guys are as honest as they come.

The first time I went in there for a problem, they looked at my car which took about 20 minutes. It wasn't running well and I was about to take a long trip. They found the problem and told me it was under warranty with Mazda. They actually called Mazda for me and made the appt. I saved hundreds of dollars. They didn't charge me a penny for looking at the car. I tried to tip the mechanics and they refused the money, saying, "You just be careful on your trip, Ma'am." I was floored.

I told my Dad about them and when he got into a fender bender, they quoted a price $300 less than other places. He dinged it again, and when he went back, they told him they'd fix it for $100. He agreed. When he picked up his car and took out his check book, they said, "Good news! It only cost $50." ?????? Who does that?

I took my car in again for check engine light, they sent me once again to Mazda because it was under warranty. Mazda did the work, but then told me I "had" to have a few other things done. One of them was a coolant flush, the other was transmission fluid which they told me was like "tar". I said no, took my car to Sheppard and they did the coolant for half the price and told me that there was nothing at all wrong with my transmission fluid. Again, saved me hundreds.

I could go on about my brother's experiences, but you get the picture. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte