U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 4,829 times
Smile Possible move from OC CA

Hi, we are possibly moving from Orange county CA to charlotte. I have been looking online at homes and its hard to tell what areas are nice. We have a two children in Kindergarten and in 1st Grade. I like the look of the Ballantyne community as well as homes in Providence Point. I am not sure of the proximity of these communities too each other.
Are they as nice as they seem? Are the schools good, and do the kids mainly go to Private or public schools?
We will be planning a trip out in October so I am trying to have at least an idea of an area to pinpoint.
Thanks for your input its greatly appreciated.
Antoinette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 AM

I haven't heard from anyone...does this mean I am picking out less desirable areas, and people ust don't want to tell me?
Please let me know....I am already concerned about moving 3000 miles across the county, leaving the exteded family behind...

Old 09-13-2008, 10:26 AM

11,767 posts, read 18,011,800 times
I think people are worried about gas right at the moment. I live pretty close to Ballantyne. Its a nice community with good access to Rt. 485. It has plenty of shopping & restaurants too.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:45 AM

1,395 posts, read 3,797,588 times
Providence Pointe is right outside the Ballantyne area. About 1 mile. I have several friends that life in both neighborhoods and they are very happy with the highly rated schools and desirable area.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Thank you...I understand the gas situation. We have been paying over $4.00 a gallon out here since July. Its very unsettling.....
I do still wonder if the kids go to mainly private or public schools in those two areas?
Thank you,
Antoinette

Old 09-13-2008, 11:12 AM

3,066 posts, read 7,013,691 times
I think you are looking at Ardrey Kell as the high school? It is quite highly rated.

You could also look just a couple miles south of that area, into Marvin, in Union County. Marvin Ridge High is also very highly rated.

Dawn (moved from Pasadena 3 years ago.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomom714 View Post
Thank you...I understand the gas situation. We have been paying over $4.00 a gallon out here since July. Its very unsettling.....
I do still wonder if the kids go to mainly private or public schools in those two areas?
Thank you,
Antoinette

Old 09-13-2008, 11:22 AM

28 posts, read 53,538 times
Hi,
I'm planning my move to CLT from LA as well (SFV) next December. Though I'm not that familiar with the city I've been doing a lot of research and reading many posts in this forum, and have also visited CLT back in April. Like most people would tell you there are many, many good areas in CLT with good schools and my impression is that most people choose public ones. You may also consider SC, which is minutes away. The area you choose to live will probably depend on your jobs, I am also planning to move to South CLT, and most likely the Ballantyne area. You can PM me if you want a little more info.
Let us know how it goes after your trip. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM

Dawn, be honest are you really happy there? It looks lovely, but I am native CA girl, so this could be hard....Yikes!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:35 AM

3,066 posts, read 7,013,691 times
Oh dear.....that is a LOADED question!

Am I happy? I have a lot of wonderful friends and my kids are happy with over 2 acres and a huge house and extra money available for trips and fun.

Would I move back in a heartbeat if DH would agree? Absolutely! I am a West Coast gas through and through.

Dawn

Quote:
Dawn, be honest are you really happy there? It looks lovely, but I am native CA girl, so this could be hard....Yikes!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:29 PM

70 posts, read 104,222 times
Quote:
Yep, I too was born and raised in Mission Viejo, CA... If I could do it all over again... would not move here, and quite possibly, would never have left there in the first place. The biggest problem for me is the beach and it being over 3 hours away. I was raised by the beach and it's a little uncomfotable not being able to "just go" at any given time.
Also, the housing seems like a great buy here compared to there, but unless you have a job already lined up, don't plan on living your CA lifestyle here. Very hard to find a job for even qualified people.
Just FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte