Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 PM

196 posts, read 428,652 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]When relocating earlier this year, I was aware there would be challenges of having a child in CMS and understood their reputation as not being a strong school district. I purposely opted to live in South Charlotte in hopes that by attending a “better” school, my child would get the instruction and attention any child deserves. Well, in the 3mths we have been here, I have been extremely disappointed. I feel as if because he is at a higher learning level than his peers, his teacher views him as one less child to have to worry about because he already knows the material for his grade (and his teacher is the grade chair at “one of the best” public schools in the district). I know teachers have hard nowadays, and don’t have the resources available to efficiently teach their classes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Has anyone opted to look at one of the magnet school for a more advanced curriculum? I like the fact that he attends his local school, but honestly feel he has not learned much while in Charlotte this year.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,782 times
What grade is your child in?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 PM

196 posts, read 428,652 times
He is in Kindergarten- and I know- it's only kindergarten.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
You don't have much time before the magnet deadline - but language immersion is great for advanced kids because no matter what they will be challenged doing the same NC curriculum in a new language - and they accept 1rst graders (last chance to be accepted in the program). I encourage you to take a Smith tour on Tyvola - the program will move to Waddell on Nations Ford (SW Charlotte) next year. My son was very advanced at that grade and the program was great for him (He's now fluent in french)

You could also look at the elementary IB schools - Cotswald, Huntingtown Farms, and Lansdowne. They will also feed into the more rigorous IB programs. Having said this, every elementary is supposed to cater to advanced students through their talent development program, but this does not start until 3rd grade I believe. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:21 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,071 times
Why did you think moving to South Charlotte would help? All the schools in Meck County are messed up.

If you want to avoid the mess that is the public school system, go private.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Why did you think moving to South Charlotte would help? All the schools in Meck County are messed up.

Or move to SC or Union county.

I have a question about the magnet programs though: I thought you could only apply if they were within your transportation zone, or is it that the children can only be bused if they are within the zone?

Also wonder if magnet programs are so successful, why all schools aren't just magnets, but that's a different discussion, I suppose...

Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post

Generalize much?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

I have a question about the magnet programs though: I thought you could only apply if they were within your transportation zone, or is it that the children can only be bused if they are within the zone?

Also wonder if magnet programs are so successful, why all schools aren't just magnets, but that's a different discussion, I suppose...
You can apply to any magnet. CMS buses magnet kids all over the county - that is one of the items that continues to be up for discussion in the budget cuts.

Not all magnets are successful - and not all parents want their kids in a magnet vs a neighborhood school. There are certainly some very good magnets...but they also are somewhat self selective (at least somewhat motivated parents).

Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

Some magnets are highly specialized - I doubt people would want intensive arts education or language immersion in the regular schools. Some people are even against IB because it is more internationally focused (english class might include translated literature from another country in addition to US)

Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,020 times
Consider Park Road Montessori. It has a long standing excellent reputation. What I think you will really like about it is that work is tailored to each child's ability. If your child is somewhat motivated, you will have hit the jackpot if you get in. It is VERY hard to get into, so have a back up plan.

Also, talk to parents at your current school in the 1st-3rd grade. You may find that they step it up a notch later In addition, I think the gifted testing is in 2nd or 3rd grade.

Kindergarten is often glorified pre-school. I would not jump ship (unless it is to park road mont) as you may end up going from the frying pan to the fire, dealing even greater issues such as safety, long bus rides, etc. Find out what is to come in the upper grades.

Taben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte