U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2008, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Findlay, OH
655 posts, read 2,100,755 times
Reputation: 323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I really get aggravated when people think it is somehow RIGHTEOUS to be condescending and judgmental about the vehicle someone else is driving.
Just from observation, they act very similar to members of a religious sect. Everyone who doesn't drive a Smart car or other "EcoFriendly" vehicle is a non-believer that deserves nothing but white-hot contempt and scorn for bruising Mother Earth (nothing but a bunch of Greenless heathens! )

It's bad enough it sounds like confession when they can't find a recycling bin.

It wouldn't surprise me if some sort of environmental Inquisition ever occurs.

 
Old 09-14-2008, 08:37 AM
 
4,222 posts, read 6,731,996 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
Before you get all NC is superior to NY thing on me here, I was just noticing my observation of the major cities in NC. Growth is great I guess, it can be controlled a LOT better than clearing all the trees from land, and slapping up strip malls. I see that the majority of people prefer to live in housing developments with no real sense of "town" anywhere. Just an observation.....a few of the smaller cities in NC still have this, however. Growth can be controlled and it can look a WHOLE lot better and it isn't really a NC thing, it is in most growing areas so I am not bashing NC...blah, blah...
I am not saying that N.C. is better than anywhere. I am pointing out that you seem to make statements without doing your research. Charlotte has policies that forbid clear cutting and require a percentage of the trees remain in place. Trees over a certain age that do not obstruct building of the structure must remain. . Charlotte is known as the "City of Trees". As you should be able to understand, that title doesn't come from clear cutting. Most newcomers to the area comment about all the gorgeous trees. Have you actually been to N.C.? I am not defending the area as much as I am disputing your comments. I could care less about insults if they actually apply. I just get annoyed when people say unintelligent things or make ridiculous comparisons to the place from which they come that are not substantiated. Hopefully, you have not moved here. I would prefer that you not become a local and possibly a neighbor to which I might have to listen. Sorry but growth and facilitaton of growth doesn't always suit the ideologies of tree huggers. The Charlotte does a pretty good job on planning its growth and not being a urban sprawl nightmare like many other cities.

Additionally, you said that you "see" that people prefer to live in housing developments with no sense of town anywhere. Obviously, you haven't seen Baxter, Birkdale, Ballantyne, Arysley, or the numerous other villages that have their own town centers. Again, do your research.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Just from observation, they act very similar to members of a religious sect. Everyone who doesn't drive a Smart car or other "EcoFriendly" vehicle is a non-believer that deserves nothing but white-hot contempt and scorn for bruising Mother Earth (nothing but a bunch of Greenless heathens! )

It's bad enough it sounds like confession when they can't find a recycling bin.

It wouldn't surprise me if some sort of environmental Inquisition ever occurs.
You explained that so much better than I did. Thank you!
 
Old 09-14-2008, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
422 posts, read 1,217,699 times
Reputation: 240
Why is everyone freaking out today? The post started about gas and "ignorant" people waiting in line for gas... Whats the rest of the banter about?

I was one of those ignorant people in line getting gas Friday, want to know why? I was on "E" and needed gas... arent I crazy? I cant believe I dont have my own personal gas maker... what a dumbass I am. Yes, I needed gas so I could get to work. I waited in line because there were only a few stations open.. so I had to wait.

So, because of this, Im ignorant?

I also drive an SUV... had it for quite a few years now. I have an SUV because I haul alot of stuff around and I cant afford a new smaller car at the moment... Is that okay with you?

Am I a beast because I chose this car?

Some of you posters are seriously out of your mind...
 
Old 09-14-2008, 11:27 AM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,487,772 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
Why is everyone freaking out today? The post started about gas and "ignorant" people waiting in line for gas... Whats the rest of the banter about?

I was one of those ignorant people in line getting gas Friday, want to know why? I was on "E" and needed gas... arent I crazy? I cant believe I dont have my own personal gas maker... what a dumbass I am. Yes, I needed gas so I could get to work. I waited in line because there were only a few stations open.. so I had to wait.

So, because of this, Im ignorant?

I also drive an SUV... had it for quite a few years now. I have an SUV because I haul alot of stuff around and I cant afford a new smaller car at the moment... Is that okay with you?

Am I a beast because I chose this car?

Some of you posters are seriously out of your mind...
I'm thinking that there are people out there who'd hoped that you'd have had an epiphany when your tank went empty. You would have run out of gas in front of the Smart car dealership on South Boulevard & seen the light & traded your SUV for 4 Smarts.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:48 PM
 
4,097 posts, read 10,180,326 times
Reputation: 1901
I really don't get the Smart car. There are other cars with similar to better gas mileage out ther. Our 1996 Saturn station wagon gets 39-40 mpg and is going strong.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I'm thinking that there are people out there who'd hoped that you'd have had an epiphany when your tank went empty. You would have run out of gas in front of the Smart car dealership on South Boulevard & seen the light & traded your SUV for 4 Smarts.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:54 PM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,487,772 times
Reputation: 2781
I saw a car that had 3 wheels & could hold one person a couple days ago.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times
Reputation: 14932
maybe you saw this
http://www.charlottepedicabs.com/images/IMG_0922.jpg

No fuel problem for these guys except leg fuel.

Or you might have seen the one for Batteries plus which I have investigated and due to it only has three wheels you cannot claim it as tax break.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-20-2014 at 05:22 AM..
 
Old 09-14-2008, 06:27 PM
 
1,907 posts, read 4,455,949 times
Reputation: 730
Sunny, I love the new by-line..........Kiss me deadly!!!!
 
Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times
Reputation: 14932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Sunny, I love the new by-line..........Kiss me deadly!!!!
I had a flash back moment when I started to think of the last time I saw gas lines. That was back in the day when stations use to have gas war over 99 cent gas.
I got the by line from this
Kiss Me Deadly and thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top