Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:17 PM

96 posts, read 226,695 times

Advertisements

Where's all the Italians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 PM

431 posts, read 1,662,051 times
Doesnt exist. One thing I sorely miss is the Italian culture from the North. You will be hard pressed to find anything relating to Italian tradition here in Charlotte. I tried the Ciao Festival in the city and it is a joke. I tried the St. Phillip Neri Festival in Ft. Mill with same results. Pork stores and bakeries are virtually non existent. Social clubs...haha. I have to go to Lowes to buy Pastosa Pasta from NY at double the price. They also have the nerve to sell the spiral cheese and parsley sausage (frozen) with a look-a-like name of "Lavarone" (which I assume is a take off of Iavarone Bros. in NY) for $14.00 per pd. Yes $14.00 a Pd!!!!!! With that being said there are a few good restaurants and pizza places but Im not even gonna get into reccomending. Everyones got different taste. San Gennaro just started if you want to take an hour flight?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 PM

HA, it's tough being Italian in the south, I miss all the stories and loud families and guys droppingthe F bomb as if it were a compliment!!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Doesnt exist. One thing I sorely miss is the Italian culture from the North. You will be hard pressed to find anything relating to Italian tradition here in Charlotte. I tried the Ciao Festival in the city and it is a joke. I tried the St. Phillip Neri Festival in Ft. Mill with same results. Pork stores and bakeries are virtually non existent. Social clubs...haha. I have to go to Lowes to buy Pastosa Pasta from NY at double the price. They also have the nerve to sell the spiral cheese and parsley sausage (frozen) with a look-a-like name of "Lavarone" (which I assume is a take off of Iavarone Bros. in NY) for $14.00 per pd. Yes $14.00 a Pd!!!!!! With that being said there are a few good restaurants and pizza places but Im not even gonna get into reccomending. Everyones got different taste. San Gennaro just started if you want to take an hour flight?
Funny thing is I walked into a place iwth a super italian name, I was all excited, I told the guy I was felling like a good pie and asked him how his sauce was and he thought I wanted apple or blueberry pie....... you have got to be kidding me, I then had to explain that I was talking about pizza, perhaps charlotte diluted his ability to stay true to Italian roots

Old 09-13-2008, 08:00 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,770,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Wow....I'm curious if you thought you would find the Italian culture when you moved here? What were you expecting?

The sausage @ Lowes I do have to agree with you on, and it is $14.00 each, so if they charge you by the pound then you're getting ripped off.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:25 PM

431 posts, read 1,662,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Wow....I'm curious if you thought you would find the Italian culture when you moved here? What were you expecting?

The sausage @ Lowes I do have to agree with you on, and it is $14.00 each, so if they charge you by the pound then you're getting ripped off.

No, not at all. Just answering his questions and stating opinions. I do think there is a market here for better Italian culture (festivals, bakeries, pork stores) and it is probably only a matter of time before it does exist. I am getting first dibs on the zeppole stand tho (talk about profit) haha!

I was just at the Greek Fest over the wknd and the place was wall to wall people. I am sure that an Italian Feast can do as well if not better here.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 PM

I call dibbs on the sausage and peppers! oh man! and the stuffed peppers!! I like guy U120, you should hit up that restaurant off 49 in the university area called Alfani's it is next to Lifestyle fitness and it is stellar! The owner buys everything in NY and has it sent to his place down here! He's a really fun guy. Only problem is that he likes the Yankee's, so if you plan on going be sure ot wear a Boston cap!!! I wear min proudly in there!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:55 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,494,959 times
Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not but there is the Christopher Columbus Italian Social Club. Home

Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,632,233 times
Default A Cleaned up version of an Italian Feast in CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not but there is the Christopher Columbus Italian Social Club. Home
Well, I'm not so sure. How Italian can it be when you have a feast in the Atrium of the Wachovia Building? I mean seriously, what about that feeling of walking in the street with discarded pizza crust paper plate that is a little slippery with oil. Or, stepping on some pepper and onion that ozzed out of that kid's sandwich? Where's the flavor?
Now a ferris wheel in the atrium may work but what about a 7 over and under game? Are they going to allow gambling in a bank? Yeah, come to think of it isn't that what banks do with our money?

Smoke from the frying of sausage, pepper and onions could also be a problem. With all the terrorist security measures in place non-Italians might think this is some sort of attack on the building? Don't laugh, this is a very different world since 9-11. Dart game to win a stuffed toy for your kid or gal.
Better think twice about that one passing security! No way. Those days are over.

Well, let me give this a little more thought.
john

Old 09-14-2008, 04:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,494,959 times
Jeez, you must be looking for a place where you can find someone who "paints houses".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte