U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times

Advertisements

I thought maybe there were many amongst us who would be interested in nice day trips around the area. With cooler weather on the horizon . . . where are places we can go to have a nice family outing - or a relaxing day trip w/ our friends or spouse?

Any suggestions? I don't want to limit it to only family oriented outings, but think it would be nice to have all sorts of activities mentioned.

For families - what about trips to apple orchards and pumpkin patches?

What about the best places to view Fall Foliage? And maybe - suggestions for a cozy romantic cabin for the adults . . . for a great escape over a weekend.

And what about "Fall Festivals" - arts and crafts shows . . . Jazz, Blue Grass . . .

Share some of your ideas so the newcomers - as well as the natives - can start planning some day trips and great escapes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times
I just discovered this place over labor day but during my trip I thought this would be a great place to come again and view the fall foilage.

My pookie and I went up to the Yadkin River up to Rockford, NC to do some kayaking.
I wanted to kayak to see what is shown in this picture http://www.yadkinriveradventures.com/Edisonnew.jpg but we arrived after 3 pm and the outfitter we was going to use does not do runs after 3

The outfitter does provide kayaks or canoes to rent if needed but I just wanted the shuttle service so keep in mind plan to leave early in the day.
Yadkin River Adventures, Inc. Canoeing and Kayaking Rentals. A full service river outfitter located in Rockford, NC

I like using an outfitter so that I do not have to paddle back up stream and on this river you have to have good endurance to paddle up stream since the current is rather strong.

We did get to ride some class I rapids which was fun and our resting spot was on some rocks in the middle of the river where we was able to have a picnic (bring a tote type ice box).

Another great superb place to see fall foilage is the New River Gorge in West Virginia.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rge_Bridge.jpg

This should be involved with a White Water Outfitter due to the class III- IV waves.
It is highly adventourous and a great family outing. I used Songer This outfitter does provide on site or on river camping, mountain biking, horse back riding, fishing, and climbing.

If you do go to Rockford check out the General Store with creeky old wood floors , old timey candy jars and nehi bottle soda

Sweet Potato Festival September 20th

Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Great info, Sunny! Thank you so much for sharing. This sounds like a neat outing.

And a Sweet Potato Festival???? Gotta check that out. I love sweet taters, LOL!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:51 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,137,084 times
There is a very local festival happening on Sept 27 at UNCC; the International Festival. It is a presentation from the students that attend there from other countries. There is a parade of nations where people all dress in the costumes of their countries, food (of course) and other trinkets that you can buy. The kiddies can get free "passports" and have them stamped at the different "countries". It is really a lot of fun for all !

International Festival | UNC Charlotte

Old 09-14-2008, 02:51 PM

228 posts, read 843,058 times
I am excited for the Oktoberfest in two weeks! Granted it's late September and not October but I am still excited! It has sold out the last few years and ended up doing so again this year. They even have a game area if you need a break from all the taste testing! Their website lists the local/regional/national/international brewers that will be there. I am excited to try new local beverages in addition to my old favorites. If you weren't able to get tickets this year it seems to definitely be an event to keep in the back of your mind for next year.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
There is a very local festival happening on Sept 27 at UNCC; the International Festival. It is a presentation from the students that attend there from other countries. There is a parade of nations where people all dress in the costumes of their countries, food (of course) and other trinkets that you can buy. The kiddies can get free "passports" and have them stamped at the different "countries". It is really a lot of fun for all !

International Festival | UNC Charlotte
Sounds like a neat event, CHICubs! Appreciate your sharing a link, too.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
I am excited for the Oktoberfest in two weeks! Granted it's late September and not October but I am still excited! It has sold out the last few years and ended up doing so again this year. They even have a game area if you need a break from all the taste testing! Their website lists the local/regional/national/international brewers that will be there. I am excited to try new local beverages in addition to my old favorites. If you weren't able to get tickets this year it seems to definitely be an event to keep in the back of your mind for next year.
Hey, JMM! This does sound like it would be a fun event.

Here is the website . . . but unfortunately, it is sold out!!!! However, I am gonna mark my calendar for next year:

Untitled Document

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,137,084 times
Here's another one for you:

Scanfest of the Carolinas

Saturday, Nov 8 11:00a to 5:00p
at Wachovia Plaza, Wachovia Atrium/Plaza, Charlotte, NC
A celebration of all things Scandinavian. Founded in 2003 as a way to share the cultures and customs of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. Visit the Viking Village, Sami exhibit, A Taste of Scandinavia and more.

Price: Free
Phone: kids
Event Web Site
Age Suitability: All Ages
Tags: There are no tags.

A celebration of all things Scandinavian. Founded in 2003 as a way to share the cultures and customs of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. Visit the Viking Village, Sami exhibit, A Taste of Scandinavia and more.
Meet Pippi, the Vikings, strolling Trolls; check out the vendors, participate in the Lego building contest, and the first 5K Nordic run/walk. Let the children enjoy hands on activities and games, and the entire family can get involved with authentic folk dancing. Come experience the sights, smells, and sounds of the land of the midnight sun!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,872,043 times
Here's a link to Festival in the Park.

Festival In The Park

See ya at the Animal Care and Control Booth!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:55 AM

422 posts, read 1,217,699 times
My fiance and I are still on a quest to do the whole winery tour thing... we didnt get to go on Labor Day weekend, but ya know what? Im actually happy about that. October is going to be MUCH prettier.

I dont have the website handy. its something like ncwine.org... there is a tour of 3 winerys up north. Beautiful foliage, wine and cute B&Bs!!!

I will let you know the deal when I get planning in the next couple of weeks. But I think it will be AWESOME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte