Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,083,988 times

Advertisements

Not looking for a "We Fix Watches, Too" place. I need a reputable watchmaker.

I have a 1904 Elgin I need worked on. Hoping it just needs a good cleaning, maybe some new works inside. Also need it checked for accuracy. For the moment, it seems to be running for 4 hours or so. Then I can have it polished and engraved for DH. Probably waited too long for his birthday but, it can be an after birthday "just because" present.

Afterwards, the watchmaker can probably refer me to someone for the engraving. Right?

Any insight appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,309,850 times
The Antique Clock Shop in Waxhaw has serviced my old Hamiltons. They do great work (they also service my antique clocks). It is a family business with multiple generations involved.

NO CONNECTION with said business other than a satisfied customer.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 AM

Awesome! I would have had NO idea where to go. I'm excited now. Wonder if they carry fobs, this is without one. I'll look them up and give a call. Thank you again. You've made my day!

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 09-19-2008, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,937 times
in Park Road Shopping Center, next to Michael's ..very reputable watch maker..

Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,309,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Awesome! I would have had NO idea where to go. I'm excited now. Wonder if they carry fobs, this is without one. I'll look them up and give a call. Thank you again. You've made my day!

Sincerely,

Sara
They did great work on my 1917 Seth Thomas #2 railroad clock and my 1928 Seth Thomas mantle clock. In today's dollars the mantle clock would be just under $20K in purchasing dollars, although used models today are much less costly ($300), so I very much trust this shop on valuable things. It is awesome to think my clock was once in the home of some captain of industry. FWIW one of my favorite old clocks is a pre Civil War New Haven (1857) and I have not serviced it in over 20 years, still keeps great time!

My love of mechanical things is a joy, a side business (vintage BMWs), and an obsession (watches and clocks)...

Old 09-20-2008, 12:57 PM

172 posts, read 584,317 times
Thank you so much for this information. I have an antique clock I have been trying to get fixed for some time. It is at least 200 years old. It belonged to my great great grandmother.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 AM

201 posts, read 803,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
The Antique Clock Shop in Waxhaw has serviced my old Hamiltons. They do great work (they also service my antique clocks). It is a family business with multiple generations involved.

NO CONNECTION with said business other than a satisfied customer.
I agree! I had some work done on a vintage Rolex Tudor by them, and I was very pleased. My husband is a serious watch guy, and he would return to them without question.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 AM

I dropped off the watch yesterday. I anticipate picking it up "near Halloween". It will make a perfect anniversary gift for my husband.

Interestingly, I pass this place almost daily but never took notice. Can't tell you how many times I drove up and down price street yesterday before (DUH!) spotting it on the corner, right at 16.

Mr. Heinbaugh saw me pulling up in the driveway and welcomed me right in. It's going to be a little bit more than I anticipated but very worth the expense. From what we could tell yesterday the works just need to be cleaned and it needs to be timed out. Mr. Heinbaugh was very kind and informative. That's a fascinating place he has there. All of those time pieces makes one feel like he is walking back in time.

I told him that I was referred by a repeat cutomer of his but unfortunately mullman, I didn't have a "real" name to give him. I told him we met online. Probably sounded scandalous to someone like him. He just nodded.

Now, the questions for my C-D friends. He doesn't think I should have DH's monogram/initials engraved. He said he is "dead set against" engraving because he thinks it brings down the value since it is so personalized.

I'm not sure I agree. The goal is not to profit off of the watch. It's a gift for DH and in the future, it will likely go onto one of our sons, and we already have one grandson, etc. I think it would be nice for a future generation to look down at the watch, see the monogram and be reminded, "this belonged to my grandfather". KWIM? I'm not particularly concerned with how much value it might lose 80 years from now when me and DH are dead. Hope our kids have enough decency in life to retain the "good" stuff we pass on. What do you guys think?

Also, it was my intention to buy a fob. Mr. Heinbaugh showed me a chain that matches perfectly. Would either of you have a preference?

I'm so glad I was referred there and I am so excited about the prospect of picking up the watch late October. When I looked at it again yesterday, it was more beautiful than I had even recalled. Mr. Heinbaugh agreed.

Thanks everyone.

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 09-21-2008, 07:58 AM

201 posts, read 803,872 times
Mr. Heinbaugh is absolutely correct in saying that the value will be brought down by having it engraved. However, if your intention is to keep this in the family as an heirloom, then I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte