U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:09 AM

7,930 posts, read 17,791,402 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI for those who live by the Sewer Plant, as my friend forwarded me the outcome this morning...

Last night, the Union County Board of Commissioners votes unanimously to award and fully fund contracts to install oder control measures at 12 Mile Creek WWTP.

I'm so proud of my neighbors and other nearby residents and business owners for mounting a successful campaign of letters, emails, phone calls and petitions. In addition, there were many folks in attendance at the meeting last night to lend support, including Waxhaw mayor Duane Gardner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:13 AM

92 posts, read 244,613 times
That is fantastic news, how soon will they do it and why oh why didn't they do it before? What infact will they do, not glade plug ins I hope
But seriously that will be a wonderful thing

Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 AM

not sure Im waiting for her to get back to me for more details.. a few of them live in Quellin and Cureton so I know they are really happy about this...

Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,453,374 times
Award and funding? I "smell" a rat....

Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 AM

Union County owns the facility and they are awarding the contracts to install odor control measures (capping and air scrubbers) to the lowest bidder, Hickory Construction. It will cost 4.7 million dollars. This comes from taxpayers, of course. The original budget, which was arrived at without any engineering work, was only 2.6 million. The county manager was able to get the additional funds from another water project (inter-basin transfer) that cannot go forward.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,171,038 times
We drove into the Cureton area, with people looking to relocate to the area. The Waste Management/Clearing Plant issue came up.

One of the people, that we were showing the area to, has worked with waste management technology for many years. He said that he is baffled by the idea that any odor should be coming from ANY modern clearing plants. With propper capping and correct chemical balance ABSOLUTELY NO ODOR should be detectable. Even on a humid, windy day.

Why on earth wasn't this dealt with earlier? Why was this plant even allowed to open without all of these measures in place?

Thankfully there is a simple, albeit expensive solution to the problem.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM

who knows, I agree it shouldnt have had that odor in the 1st place...But either way im glad to hear that something is finally being done...that will be really good for property values in the years to come..

Old 09-16-2008, 03:52 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,147,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Union County owns the facility and they are awarding the contracts to install odor control measures (capping and air scrubbers) to the lowest bidder, Hickory Construction. It will cost 4.7 million dollars. This comes from taxpayers, of course. The original budget, which was arrived at without any engineering work, was only 2.6 million. The county manager was able to get the additional funds from another water project (inter-basin transfer) that cannot go forward.
I don't understand why we taxpayers have to pay to clean this up. I used to live right on Pine Oak Rd (you can see my old house from Hwy 16 now that they clear cut the land for Prescott) when they started building Twelve Mile Creek. My assumption was...they are going to build a poopy plant...its going to stink, I don't want to smell it...so I am moving. Why aren't the residents of Cureton and Queillin, who live within sh*ting distance of TMC, ponying up to clean this up? Why is it the responsiblity of ALL tax payers. As far as I am concerned, poop smells, deal with it. My taxes are high enough and continue to climb, yet I have to help pay to keep a poop plant, that I now live 10 miles from, from doing what it does naturally..doesn't seem fair. But then again, what is fair in Union County politics?

Old 09-16-2008, 05:25 PM

92 posts, read 244,613 times
I guess the answer to this question is are you on a septic or is your personal poop going there already like the rest of the county using their bathrooms, I feel bad for these guys who live close to it.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 PM

let me say its NOT a sewer plant its a Water Treatment Plant which is why it shouldnt smell in the 1st place...Im just relating what the outcome was... I dont disagree that the taxpayers should pay for this as it isnt their responsiblity since they didnt ask for it kwim? Our friends love living in cureton and quellin and wouldnt move due to the plant and it is a personal preference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte