U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 PM

3,099 posts, read 4,125,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Ahhh, rain, another reason to put off going to the gym today

The gym is made for rainy and cold days. Get up and get pumped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM

21,878 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
southbound_295 - I wish you all the luck in the world for selling your house up there. You'll find you have an almost "unlimited" amount of choice when it comes to housing in the Charlotte area. We'll be more than happy to offer you our advice and experiences in the housing area. You'll love our winter! I have "vague recollections" LOL of using my snowblower which now belongs to my next-door neighbor in NJ. It can get cold here, but winter is quite delightful as a whole! You'll be amazed at things you can grow here too! I love having "hardy" Cannas and my Zinnas re-seed themselves! Except for the yucky clay soil which you can amend - it's perfect! Sweaters are what I wear in the winter! Those "heavy winter coats" and down jackets will see a lot of time in the closet!
LOL, Emissary, I haven't owned a heavy winter jacket for about 10 years ( a waste of money for about 2 weeks a year) & haven't had boots since the 70s (What fun shovelling after the nor'easter in '96 in my sneakers....) I usually "shovel" with a dutch rubber broom. Remember, I'm at the top of planting zone 7 here, & will just be going to the southern end of it.

My property here is all clay & marl. I double dug flower beds here in the spring & fall. It took 6 years. The neighbor kids loved to come & watch the crazy woman, apparently digging to China....

Thanks for the offer on housing. I'm dumping the house here, (the real estate market crashed here about 2 months ago) & real estate was always way cheaper around here, so I won't be buying a big fancy house.

My genealogy buddy in Kings Mountain has a cousin involved in real estate in Lincolnton. I called him & he gave me the names of 2 realtors. I'll be looking in Kings Mountain, Cherryville & Lincolnton for now. We'll see what happens down the road.

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-16-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 01:58 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,670,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, Emissary, I haven't owned a heavy winter jacket for about 10 years ( a waste of money for about 2 weeks a year) & haven't had boots since the 70s (What fun shovellig after the nor'easter in '96 in my sneakers....) I usually "shovel" with a dutch rubber broom. Remember, I'm at the top of planting zone 7 here, & will just be going to the southern end of it.

My property here is all clay & marl. I double dug flower beds here in the spring & fall. it took 6 years. The neighbor kids loved to come & watch the crazy woman, apparently digging to China....

Thanks for the offer on housing. I'm dumping the house here, (the real estate market crashed here about 2 months ago) & real estate here was always way cheaper around here, so I won't be buying a big fancy house.

My genealogy buddy in Kings Mountain has a cousin involved in real estate in Lincolnton. I called him & he gave me the names of 2 realtors. I'll be looking in Kings Mountain, Cherryville & Lincolnton for now. We'll see what happens down the road.
southbound_295 - I must admit I haven't spent a lot of time in South Jersey so I was surprised to read that you had clay soil! You're already an expert in that area! The areas that you're looking at are very nice - there's a little more in the way of rolling hills than I have near me. It reminds me of Hunterdon or Warren County in NJ. It might be a tad bit cooler than Union County NC, but there are a few hardy Palms that could end up with a happy home on your front lawn!

Old 09-16-2008, 02:06 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,060 times
Quote:
southbound_295 - I must admit I haven't spent a lot of time in South Jersey so I was surprised to read that you had clay soil! You're already an expert in that area! The areas that you're looking at are very nice - there's a little more in the way of rolling hills than I have near me. It reminds me of Hunterdon or Warren County in NJ. It might be a tad bit cooler than Union County NC, but there are a few hardy Palms that could end up with a happy home on your front lawn!
I agree that those areas remind you of Hunterdon and Warren Counties. I am from Hunterdon and that is why we decided to move to the Lincolnton area.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
LOL, Emissary, when we moved to South Jersey in '64, my parents were digging up clay & throwing it out in the trash & buying top soil until a neighbor told them what to do. They never really got it, so I took over their gardens. I knew what to do when I got my house, but I use compost instead of top soil. It works much better. Down here either your property is clay, clay & marl, or sand.

I'll miss Philly & some people, places & stores, but I'm ready to leave & it's not like I'm banished.... There's still a few people I miss in Michigan, but they can keep their weather.

LOL, I'll probably get there before the leaves fall. (Here they normally fall just in tme for Thanksgiving.)

Old 09-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I agree that those areas remind you of Hunterdon and Warren Counties. I am from Hunterdon and that is why we decided to move to the Lincolnton area.
I won't say which town until after I move, but I'm in Camden County.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:46 PM

329 posts, read 1,124,533 times
I am visiting this weekend and was hoping for warmer weather so I could go play on the lake It has been cooler 60 - 75 one day even colder I think the last several of weeks here in KC.

While I love the fall, I am not quite ready for it to start so soon.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,670,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasChick View Post
I am visiting this weekend and was hoping for warmer weather so I could go play on the lake It has been cooler 60 - 75 one day even colder I think the last several of weeks here in KC.

While I love the fall, I am not quite ready for it to start so soon.
KC - If you're still here next week, you'll probably get your wish! Don't pack up that bikini just yet!

Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM

329 posts, read 1,124,533 times
I arrive early Friday and leave in the afternoon on Tuesday - when it starts to get warmer again. I just have to hope the cool front passes a little quicker so I can go out on the lake Sunday or Monday

Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,446,850 times
Hey Southbound, Glad to hear you are getting closer to coming down here. Bury the statue and get here for the fall color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte