U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:25 AM

148 posts, read 505,546 times

Advertisements

Now that my kids are settling into their routines at Marvin Ridge they are stressing about having to change to the new middle and high schools on Cuthbertson next year as we live in Lawson. I am feeling horrible about having to make them get used to yet another new school. Now I am starting to get concerned that because we are so far south, the feeder areas to the new school will be many more locals and wealthy developments. Does anyone else have any concerns? Although I absolutely love Lawson, I am starting to feel like we should have looked in a subdivision that would have stayed with Marvin Ridge. Anyone else have the same fears or am I stressing over nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
the redistricting of the schools has been a very big concern for many people, which was why we moved to Hunter Oaks in the 1st place..other than the conviences we only wanted Marvin Ridge Cluster. as far as wealthy is concerned, That is alot of the make up in Marvin Ridge so I dont think Cuthburtson would be any different to tell you the truth.

our friends in Quellin feel the same way u do which is why a few of them sold their homes as they wanted to stay in Marvin Ridge..Some downscaled but all bought re-sales..we have the opposite affect here ALL of my son's friends will be going to the Cuthburtson as Hunter Oaks stays in Marvin Ridge....Also all of Lawson will be attending the new schools Im sure you kids have friends in the development that they will be going to school with....I dont think you really have anything to worry about...

Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,435 times
Tad, I understand your concern. As a native, my three children have attended three different middle/high schools (without me ever moving!) It is frustrating when you are settled in and happy to have to regroup, but having done this multiple times, here has been my experience:

Due to the growth, a school becomes very overcrowded. So overcrowded that everyone won't safely fit into the building and trailers are brought in. The school does its best to accommodate the students and teachers, but at some point, a new school must be built.

Now, here is what will happen. A large number of the students and teachers (who your students already know and live closest to), will split off from Marvin Ridge and open the new school. (We made this type move from Parkwood to Weddington and Weddington to Marvin Ridge). Yes, we left a few friends behind, but we brought many more with us. It has not been a hard adjustment, especially since so many folks are new here anyway, and being a part of opening a new school is exciting and gives you a chance to be a part of making history, so to speak.

Jump in and volunteer and get to know the administration at the new school. Make it a community school for you. And, if you are lucky (and since you live in Lawson), this might actually be your LAST move...LOL!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:53 PM

Was speaking to a neighbor today who told me that all Freshmen, Juniors and Seniors who currently go to Marvin Ridge High School and will be rezoned to Cuthbertson Road school next year will be grandfathered to stay at Marvin Ridge. Does this mean that the new high school will only have a full freshman and sophomore class next year no juniors or seniors. Is this true? If so, what does will it mean for school activities like marching band? My daughter, who is a freshman this year, loves being in the marching band at Marvin Ridge. I am wondering how it works when a new school opens. For those of you who have gone thru it, please let us know what to expect! Thanks! Do you think they would let her still march for Marvin Ridge is Cuthbertson does not have a marching band the first year?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:55 PM

*I meant to say "Sophomores" not Freshmen in the first line

Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Tad that is incorrect, the only ones that were grandfathered was the kids from Sun Valley...I would call Union County as I went to the meeting and it was asked that they be able to stay and the board at a later time said no they have to continue...but PLEASE check it out before hand, as this is what I was told from someome who works for Union County Schools...

http://moodle.ucps.k12.nc.us/course/view.php?id=2100 (broken link)

this is the link for the Cuthburtson High School.....HS "C"

Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 PM

SUN VALLEY RELIEF REASSIGNMENT

As approved by the Union County Board of Education on April 15, 2008

Per the student assignment approved by the Union County Board of Education on April 15, 2008, the following applies to the assignment of middle and high school students who move into the Antioch Elementary School attendance lines effective immediately:

High School Students

Any high school Junior or Senior moving into the affected Sun Valley attendance area will do as follows: If they are west of Potter Road (in the approved assignment plan), they must enroll in Weddington High. If east of Potter Road (in the approved assignment plan), they will enroll in Sun Valley High.

Current sophomores and juniors at Sun Valley High School will be grandfathered into Sun Valley High School for their junior and senior years.

Middle School Students

There is an enrollment cap on Sun Valley Middle School, meaning no new students may enroll in this school. New students who move into the Sun Valley Middle School attendance area will be assigned to another middle school based on geographic location and capacity by the UCPS Pupil Assignment Office (704-283-3507).

Approved Sun Valley Relief Boundaries for 2008-09 School Year

Sun Valley Relief Affected Subdivisions

THIS IS FOR SUN VALLEY ONLY...Marvin Ridge Cluster was voted not to grandfather the kids in...

Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the link! I book marked it for future reference so I can check back as it is updated. However, it did not address my initial concern. I do understand allowing seniors to graduate from their previous school but I just hope that the kids who have to transfer will have access to the same activities. It has been very hard for my daughter to adjust to Marvin Ridge (from NY) and my heart gets ripped out when she gets upset about having to transfer, yet again, after she has finally made some friends. I know that school changes are common here and I was aware of the change before we moved to Lawson. Now as a mother, I worry about my kids getting used to two schools in two years.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 PM

92 posts, read 244,168 times
Hi my kids are at weddington middle school and just moved here, they are having the same worries about moving, however i think the wealthier developments you speak of are probably the ones staying at the weddington schools and so that should not be one of your concerns. i think the newness and the unity of the kids who know some and don't know others will help them bond and enjoy the new environment. my kids have friends who complain that the marvin ridge school building is so much nicer than the weddington one, so i am hoping that cuthbertson will dispell this view when we get there.
i have been part of a new school before and it was very exciting from a parent point of view to be first in there, i think kids at this age are apprehensive, but get stuck in much quicker than us grown ups do once they've been there a week or two, things will seem fine.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:11 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,440,324 times
I would direct any inquiries to Union County Public Schools. Better to get it from the horse's mouth than rely on what other people say.

I have family in Camberley and they are very excited about the schools on Cuthbertson. Because they are new, they like the idea that all of the children will be in a new environment.

This type of question is posed here frequently. And marvinnative always answers the question best. Kids are so more resilient than we give them credit. As adults, we tend to have a more difficult time with change.

I think that your children will be content wherever they land. Both will be/are excellent schools.

Try not to fret! And like marvin said, get involved as much as you can, meet the administration and see where you are needed most, and peace of mind will follow.

Best of luck to you and the children. Try not to pass your fears onto them. As parents, we tend to do that.

Sincerely,

Sara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or