U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,811,780 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody.

I'm leaving for Blowing Rock this Saturday for one week.

I am flying in and out of Charlotte.

I plan on driving in to Charlotte from the mountains on Friday AM to not have to rush around to catch my early flight back on the following morning.

Q1:
I thought I'd stay at the Crowne Plaza, uptown? McDowell Street? Sound familiar? It's supposed to be about 6 miles from the airport and I need time to return the rental car also. Is that a good place to stay?

Q2:
What should I do all day Friday? Where should I eat (lunch and dinner)?

Where do I go to catch a glimpse of Friday's nightlife?

Thanks very much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
Crowne Plaza is fine... it's on the edge of uptown though.

I'd look at the Dunhill.. it's smack in the middle and not too expensive. A lot closer walk to the bar scene on College and Tryon. It's also (I believe) the oldest hotel downtown.

Friday you should go to the USNWC and take a raft trip. Eat lunch there.

Friday evening, get all scottied up and walk Tryon and College. Find a place that looks good, go in and eat. After that follow a crowd of ladies that meet your criteria to their favorite uptown bar.

Solved, /thread.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 AM

777 posts, read 2,272,132 times
Crown Plaza is definately not the greatest place to stay if you are looking to do lots of walking downtown. That hotel has definatley seen better days...and it is too far to the edge of "downtown" for my liking and the only thing near it is the government center.

The Holiday Inn downtown is very centrally located and has recently been remodeled. Also the Omni, Marriott, Courtyard, Westin, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Dunhill would be better bets for your money.

For nightlife, the biggest groupings are along College Street, 5th Street, Tryon St. If you stay at the Holiday Inn, you will be directly across the street from a huge selection of bars.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:31 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
Maybe some CD locals could join you for lunch or dinner?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Maybe some CD locals could join you for lunch or dinner?
LOLLLL... maybe they could.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Crown Plaza is definately not the greatest place to stay if you are looking to do lots of walking downtown. That hotel has definatley seen better days...and it is too far to the edge of "downtown" for my liking and the only thing near it is the government center.

The Holiday Inn downtown is very centrally located and has recently been remodeled. Also the Omni, Marriott, Courtyard, Westin, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Dunhill would be better bets for your money.

For nightlife, the biggest groupings are along College Street, 5th Street, Tryon St. If you stay at the Holiday Inn, you will be directly across the street from a huge selection of bars.
OH OH. I actually just booked the Crowne Plaza. Patience is not one of my virtues. But I think I can cancel without any penalty. I just didn't want to be left unreserved and then really not know where I'd land.

This is the one on South McDowell Street. It's really not good? Wow. It looked nice from the pictures, and it's not that cheap either. About $117/night + 15.25% tax + $15 parking per day.

OK. I'll check the others. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

BTW....not a bar type anymore. Wayyyyyyyyyyy outgrown

Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
I wonder if you & Anifani could set up a short notice meet & greet?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post

I'm having a real hard time opening up that Dunhill reservation link but there's a note on the home page that says the hotel is currently undergoing guestrooms renovations.

When you say "downtown" (for the Holiday Inn) do you mean downtown or uptown? I know my downtown is your uptown over there so I just want to make sure I'm booking the right place.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Crowne Plaza is fine... it's on the edge of uptown though.

I'd look at the Dunhill.. it's smack in the middle and not too expensive. A lot closer walk to the bar scene on College and Tryon. It's also (I believe) the oldest hotel downtown.

Friday you should go to the USNWC and take a raft trip. Eat lunch there.

Friday evening, get all scottied up and walk Tryon and College. Find a place that looks good, go in and eat. After that follow a crowd of ladies that meet your criteria to their favorite uptown bar.

Solved, /thread.

hummmm...same question.... uptown or downtown?? Which side should I try to be on? Looks like it's not just a matter of my downtown being called uptown in Charlotte but that there are actually both?

I'm soooooooo confused.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 PM

777 posts, read 2,272,132 times
This one: Holiday Inn Center City - Charlotte

FYI - in Charlotte there is only one "downtown/uptown"...not one of each. Everybody calls is something different but it is all the same place.

And yes, I would cancel the Crown Plaza at that price.

You said you are too old for bars but you asked for a glimpse of the nightlife...aren't they one and the same? No sure what nightlife you are looking for specifically... For things to do uptown, this website has the most comprehensive list: http://www.charlottecentercity.org/nav.cfm?cat=19&subcat=111

Here are some links to the other hotels:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...e-city-center/
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...t-city-center/
http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/Charlotte.aspx
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=1383

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte