Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:15 PM

327 posts, read 1,197,504 times

Advertisements

I worked for several years in Hamilton, NJ, right next to the train station. On weekend we would take the train into Manhattan and walk around the city for fun. From Hamilton (which is close to Trenton for reference), it took about 1:15 to get to Penn Station. If you were lucky enough to get a commuter train, it would take about 0:45. Not saying that you'd want to live in Hamilton, but if this is truly his dream job, you could definitely live outside of NYC and take the train. Cost of living in Hamilton was substantially less than in the northern NJ towns closer to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
Do you have a house to sell down here? You may want to take that into consideration since real estate is very slow right now. You dont want to pay a mortage and rent.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:58 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Boss, Yes I know. Even if a person makes 100K, I'm wondering if it's worth it.
100K does not go very far in NY. To live comfortably and be able to go out to eat from time to time and drive decent cars you need to make at least 200K minimum as a husband and wife. Add kids and the figure goes up. If I were to own the same house on the same property in NY my taxes would be 10,000 minimum. That's some peoples mortgage payment here every month. I get asked all the time from clients etc when I'm coming back to NY and my response is always "Never." But on the other hand if that's the only place he can get work than you may be in a tough spot so there is no clear cut answer. In this economy I would be very nervous working contract or let alone starting all over at a new job simply because you know that if they do need to make cuts, low man on the totem pole is always the first to go.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
I worked for several years in Hamilton, NJ, right next to the train station. On weekend we would take the train into Manhattan and walk around the city for fun. From Hamilton (which is close to Trenton for reference), it took about 1:15 to get to Penn Station. If you were lucky enough to get a commuter train, it would take about 0:45. Not saying that you'd want to live in Hamilton, but if this is truly his dream job, you could definitely live outside of NYC and take the train. Cost of living in Hamilton was substantially less than in the northern NJ towns closer to NYC.
The commuters from 30th St Station in Philly (The train station in the movie Witness) are on the trains going through Hamilton. The commuters from the Jersey suburbs of Philly are taking the River Line from Camden to Trenton & picking up the same trains.

It might be worth posting on the Philly board and asking about this option. The Jersey suburbs of Philly are included on the Philly board, not the Jersey board (just like real life.) This is not a long-term solution, but might lead to a permanent job in Charlotte.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:24 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,209,554 times
Worth is something that you and your family can determine. For myself the cut in earnings was worth the move to NC in April. I followed my children and grand-kids and found a much more relaxed world. I believe that I will retire here when the time comes.Good Luck and best wishes

Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,275 times
I would LOVE to make enough $$ to live in NYC.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
My advise as a New Yorker 75% of my time, 15% CLT and 10% (that's another story) stay where you are in Charlotte. Life is easier. Taxes are lower. Streets are cleaner. Less road rage. Air is cleaner. Houses are pocket change compared to NYC.You don't have to shovel rain.Flowers in the Spring come up when it's winter in NY.See the sky. And the moon. Cheaper smokes.Uptown downtown all the same. No confusion. Less hip hop and more skip scotch.Shoney 6bux and all the bad stuff you want. Rocker chairs in airport! No brainer. Done deal.
Whymove?Areyoucrazy?Chill.Staycool.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
My advise as a New Yorker 75% of my time, 15% CLT and 10% (that's another story) stay where you are in Charlotte. Life is easier. Taxes are lower. Streets are cleaner. Less road rage. Air is cleaner. Houses are pocket change compared to NYC.You don't have to shovel rain.Flowers in the Spring come up when it's winter in NY.See the sky. And the moon. Cheaper smokes.Uptown downtown all the same. No confusion. Less hip hop and more skip scotch.Shoney 6bux and all the bad stuff you want. Rocker chairs in airport! No brainer. Done deal.
Whymove?Areyoucrazy?Chill.Staycool.
hahahahaha - well said johne, well said

Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 41,332 times
Ah yes, I miss standing on the Long Island RR platform in January with my tie extending fully horizontal out from my neckline while waiting for an hour long commute to downtown Manhattan. Thank goodness I only lived 15 miles (as the crow flies) from Manhattan or it could have been a bad commute. Then when you get home after being gone for 12 hours (including your commute) you may still have time to snow blow your driveway and walkways. Ahhhhh so much to miss.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurey25 View Post
Ah yes, I miss standing on the Long Island RR platform in January with my tie extending fully horizontal out from my neckline while waiting for an hour long commute to downtown Manhattan. Thank goodness I only lived 15 miles (as the crow flies) from Manhattan or it could have been a bad commute. Then when you get home after being gone for 12 hours (including your commute) you may still have time to snow blow your driveway and walkways. Ahhhhh so much to miss.
hahahaha I had to laugh at that one, as dh and I used to take the Subway into Manhattan every day ewwww then commuting from NJ for dh was no picnic either...I agree nothing to miss there...and I agree living on that salary in NY isnt going to go very far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte