U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:47 PM

462 posts, read 1,686,542 times

Advertisements

I thought everything was going to be positive from here on out after all the issues we have already dealt with, with our builder but guess not. Anyone ever have their builder give them run around about their personal inspector coming and inspecting their new construction home by giving them a ridiculous time line to get the inspection done with very little notice? I had the fact that I wanted my own inspector to come in for the pre-drywall inspection written into the contract. Well, my builder said that my home may be ready for inspection last Friday or this Friday but never got a definate date or answer as to when it would happen. As of the last conversations had it was not last week because the builder had a family issue and they were not sure as of Monday if it would be this Friday because the builder was still dealing with a family issue, well low and behold I get a phone call yesterday (Tues) that my inspection has to be Friday.(4 days notice and I am coming from NY to meet with the inspector and still need to see if the inspector is available) So I try and re-schedule for the following Friday as it would be more convienant for myself, realtor and prob inspector but they say "No way" Sheetrocks being delivered Thurs and we have to start sheetrocking Friday. It's nice that they can make delays that suit them but the hell wit the client. So of course I ask what if the inspector finds issues and they need to be addressed and the inspector needs to come back. Were looking at delays anyway. Well, if it's nothing major and if it's the way we do things than we won't change it for you anyway was the answer I got in return. Ummm, ok. They are even giving me a hard time about re-scheduling the inspection for this Monday. When I asked why they are making this so difficult their answer was "Would you like to see if I can get you your monies back?" If it were not for the fact that my wife loves the house I would have been out of this deal over a month ago. What's your opinion? Is it normal for the builder to be this uncooperative about trying to get inspections done if it involves a delay that at max would only be a week? Is my builder just trying to give me the run around so we give up and say "Forget" the inspection? Which I refuse to do because at this point it's like they are trying to hide shady practices. Just curious to see if again, I am in this boat alone or if this seems to be common practice among builders. I want to walk but my wife wants to just deal with it and make the best of it. To boot I just found out that their is a sex offender living in the sub-division I'm even starting to question the subdivision at this point even though it seemed nice the last few visits we made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 PM

525 posts, read 1,644,342 times
Where is this at? I would be upset about that...maybe contact a supervisor/management person?

Old 02-07-2007, 02:54 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,878,619 times
What builder are you using, that sounds really scary that they are almost not allowing the inspection, what are they hiding.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:59 PM

I would contact a supervisor but when I did that the last time with other issues they basically told me what I wanted to here but in the end did not do too much to resolve the matter. After being peristant and basically being a pain in the @ss and showing them I was not playing by their screwed up rules they budged. I guess at this point they are sick of dealing with us but if they acted in a proffessional matter there really would not be any problems. I'm not asking for much either. This is a big investment and a big move for my wife and I. By the way the builder is Homelife. I guess I will have to let the realtor fight with them being they already made it obvious that they don't like her nor want to deal with her!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,693,030 times
Do you have a Buyer's Agent? This is so..oo..oo important in new construction! Your agent should step in at this point and straighten things out. This sounds like the type of builder that would try to discourage a buyer from bringing an agent and then take advantage of the fact that you don't have one. I understand his need to meet drywall schedule but he also has a responsibility to accomodate your inspections, unless of course, something you signed in the contract says he doesn't have to.

If you have a agent contact him/her and ask them to schedule the inspection at the builder's convenience and be there for you.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 PM

387 posts, read 840,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
To boot I just found out that their is a sex offender living in the sub-division I'm even starting to question the subdivision at this point even though it seemed nice the last few visits we made.
Can I ask what subdivision? We just purchased last month with Homelife and are planning on moving in in June.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
Neo which development is this sex affender living in??? I know a poster moved into Wesley Oaks and found out the hard way that there was one living in that development but was told "he moved"

Old 02-08-2007, 04:26 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,293,312 times
Our builder has given us a hard time about inspections...once they expected us to have the inspection done with less than 24 hours notice! We were able to get them to budge on it, though, after being firm.
My inspector says new home builders loathe home inspectors and try and make things as difficult as they can to discourage people from using them.
Don't give up! They found a major foundation problem during our pre-drywall inspection. The inspector says he has no doubt the builder would have simply drywalled right over it had we not hired him to come look at it (I believe it, too!).
GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 02-08-2007, 06:23 AM

The sub is Lexington Commons. We are going there this weekend so we'll see how it goes. I may come home with news of starting all over again in a new sub-division. What really bothers me is the fact that they have been so difficult in so many ways that it has taken a time that we should be excited and nervous about and just turned it into a misreable and aggravating experience. At this point I am not even looking forward to moving into my first home or have had time to stress over the move.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,878,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Our builder has given us a hard time about inspections...once they expected us to have the inspection done with less than 24 hours notice! We were able to get them to budge on it, though, after being firm.
My inspector says new home builders loathe home inspectors and try and make things as difficult as they can to discourage people from using them.
Don't give up! They found a major foundation problem during our pre-drywall inspection. The inspector says he has no doubt the builder would have simply drywalled right over it had we not hired him to come look at it (I believe it, too!).
GOOD LUCK!!!!
Who is your builder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte