Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,973,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
If you're gonna EAT an animal that has been KILLED why would you care how it was previously treated?

I'am far from an animal rights extremest, but I do like animals. I would think OP does not want to support a business that treats animal inhumanely while they are alive, even thought they are raised for the dinner plate. It's morals, I guess. Some people could care less, some people, like me, just don't think about it.

I do love to eat most kinds of meat, but I still admire OP's effort and thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 PM

64 posts, read 168,499 times
I'd like to respond to 2 comments..

1) Animal slaughter is not a pretty science, but is necessary for humans to survive

Not true. Eating animals is not necessary to survive. Maybe in caveman or pilgrim times, but not nowadays.

My wife is a vegetarian, but does eat fish. Plus she gets her protein from soy, cage free eggs and nuts. (I eat meat, chicken and fish, but tried the soy meat -- its' ok, but not all that great. But believe it or not, it has less fat and just as much protein as real meat and chicken).

Now maybe you personally couldn't survive without meat or chicken, but it is not necessary for humans to survive. These days there are MANY alternatives. You should see my freezer and cabinets!

2. If you're gonna EAT an animal that has been KILLED why would you care how it was previously treated?

For some vegetarians its about animals having feelings. Fish, lobster, shrimp, etc. studies have been done that their brains are so small, they don't feel pain. So alot of vegetarians eat fish.

My wife has accepted that animals are killed and eaten, including by her husband, but she would at least like to think they enjoyed their life on earth before meeting their demise. She only buys cage free eggs, because she knows they come from a chicken that lived a better life, then one trapped in a cage.

I'm not sure about up there in NC, but we have Whole Foods in Florida. Their animals are organic, roam free (not locked in a cage until death), etc. Let me tell you, the food there is more expensive, but tastes better and is better for you. (You should see the size of some of these turkeys for Thanksgiving! Very tasty too.)

What's the difference between dogs, cats, cows, chickens, etc. Some countries eat dogs and cats. I dont know about you, but my pets have feelings and I would be heartbroken if somebody killed them to eat them. What's the difference because we call them "domesticated" and they are "pets" -- no difference, cows, chickens, horses, dogs, cats, pigs -- they do have feelings and feel pain. And that is important, even to somebody like me who eats lots of chicken.

Not trying to make this a meat vs. vegetarian discussion, but most meat eaters don't understand the other side. I see both sides in my household, as does my wife.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,299,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedinflorida View Post
Not trying to make this a meat vs. vegetarian discussion,.
Considering your post had nothing to do to help the OP I think your intent was pretty clear

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/spacethief/1194325983981.jpg (broken link)

Now back to Original Poster quest........

Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,321,649 times
Bringing this back up because I had the pleasure of visiting Grateful Growers farm today, and of course it made me think of this thread! I see they were mentioned early on in the thread. Very nice setting. I had to ask if they raised the meat locally because there was no immediate evidence of farm animals... no sounds.. no smell! So they took me around the corner and within 100 ft were the hogs "hanging out" on the hill and the chickens, not really "cooped up" in their coop. Pig farms are notorious for their bad smell and waste production, and this place was odorless. Maybe the wind was blowing in the right direction, but the overall impression was pleasantly bucolic. So if you are looking for humanely treated animals, this be the place. Looked more like a petting zoo than a farm. Sure, they go to the slaughterhouse and end up on your table but they looked like they were enjoying life.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 AM

201 posts, read 965,083 times
Thank you much to all of the non-idiots who actually gave me some good advice and actually answered my question without trying to take this time to educate me...I'm not even going to address the others who presume to know much more than I (gee, thanks so much for the info...never thought of the points you all made...for sure)...

I'll definitely look into some of your suggestions...I really wanted to try to find a place that attempted the most humane treatment including slaughter possible...a lot of these animal friendly places ship the animals to a general processor...so I wanted to be able to inquire as to their methods...Thanks again, MMM

Last edited by moremoremore; 10-16-2008 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 PM

10 posts, read 36,010 times
You can get access to a few dozen local farms who all use sustainable practices and believe in humane animal treatment through the Know Your Farms food club. The thing I like about it is that you can get anti-biotic/hormone free meats from a variety of animals (pork, beef, lamb, goat, ostrich, chicken, turkey, etc.) from multiple small, family farms in the Charlotte area. Then get it delivered to a location near you! I'm in Huntersville and they just started offering it there. They are also going to have organic milk from Mooresville soon! YOu can't get any more local than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte