U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 PM

201 posts, read 855,615 times

Advertisements

Hi all. So I don't eat meat for personal reasons, and hubby does. I'm at a point where I don't feel good a buying meat for him (mostly chicken and some beef and maybe even milk an cheeses) from the supermarket bc I don't feel good about how some of the animals may have been treated....

I'm in Matthews and would somplace local (but am open to mail order)....Does anyone know of such a place?

Thanks.

P.S. Let's please not turn this into a vegetrian debate. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Default made in North Carolina

Buy North Carolina products and least you know the animal and production are done within this state. Some do have online orders

Everything listed in these varioius links are in North Carolina
I would encourage your DH to browse these to take the pressure off of you from doing so.

MEAT PRODUCTS

PORK PRODUCTS

Ostrich, Emu

Barbecue

Chicken, Turkey

Bison

Goat

Beef

Canned Meats

Bison

Cold Cuts

Country ham

Hot Dogs , Sausage

Sheep, Lamb

Farm Raised Fish

Seafood

Shell Fish

Old 09-17-2008, 09:07 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,056,769 times
Grateful Growers Farm Real Food, Real Farmers is where I'd look for this. The links on the Goodness Grows link don't tell the whole story and if your looking for humanely raised or pasture grown meats I'd check out this link. You can buy most of their stuff at local farmers markets. They have a section on "where to buy our products"

Good Luck!!!

Jake

p.s. if you want info more info on how the animals are treated please feel free to DM me as I have worked in food production / processing for 13 years

Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 PM

11 posts, read 25,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
Hi all. So I don't eat meat for personal reasons, and hubby does. I'm at a point where I don't feel good a buying meat for him (mostly chicken and some beef and maybe even milk an cheeses) from the supermarket bc I don't feel good about how some of the animals may have been treated....

I'm in Matthews and would somplace local (but am open to mail order)....Does anyone know of such a place?

Thanks.

bc I don't feel good about how some of the animals may have been treated....

Obviously you've never lived on or near a farm in your life.

Animal slaughter is not a pretty science, but is necessary for humans to survive. The USDA has inspectors at all food processing plants and protocol must be followed if the plant is to remain open.

If you think the "boutique" meat companies have a better way of killing their animals, let me know.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:51 PM

39 posts, read 128,473 times
Not very close, but I've heard great things. Contact Us (http://underwoodfamilyfarms.net/contactus.aspx - broken link)

Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,128,507 times
Earth Fare only carries humanely certified and/or local meats from animals who are raised without hormones or antibiotics and are all natural and minimally processed. Clearly their meat costs more, but I think it's worth it.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Quote:

Thanks.

I can assure you that all of the animals that your has eaten are now in a better place and are not in pain any longer. I remember when fish would wait in line hoping to be selected for canning by Charlie Tuna several years ago. I also noticed on T.V. that chickens are attempting to pursuade people to eat more beef.

I agree that animals are treated terribly before their demise. I personally only eat low fat ground turkey. It is healthier and not so tainted with harmones. They say that turkeys are pretty stupid, so hopefully, they will not sweat little things like having their heads chopped of and bodies thrown into the grinder? Yummy!

It is somewhat strange how so many people are so worried about the pain of a needle being injected into a psyco killers arm, yet could care less about the pain suffered by animals. I really do agree with you. However, I don't have any problem with people eating meat. I believe in the food chain.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Earth Fare only carries humanely certified and/or local meats from animals who are raised without hormones or antibiotics and are all natural and minimally processed. Clearly their meat costs more, but I think it's worth it.
They were able to enjoy being slaughtered with a clear mine not clouded by drugs. They had the privilege of fully enjoying the process.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisBulldog View Post
The USDA has inspectors at all food processing plants and protocol must be followed if the plant is to remain open.
Obviously you've never read "Fast Food Nation".

Having said that - I am quite comfortable with being a carnivore.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM

693 posts, read 1,954,312 times
Quote:

Thanks.

Hi. Have you tried the "Matthews Meat Market" on 74? It's a real butcher shop. If you explain what you are looking for I bet they can help you. They have odd hours though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte