Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Wouldn't you want someone who is insured? A 60" 1080P plasma has got to be worth at least $4K.

I wouldn't trust anyone with my TV mount. If they don't use the right mount and hardware, that plasma will end up on the floor. I had a small 19" LCD mounted on my wall, one day it did hit the floor. It was mounted on an old plastered wall. The plaster gave way and so did the whole mount and TV.

Putting down that kind of change on a TV, I'd do it myself with a high quality mount and the right hardware for the job.

BTW, remarkably, my TV still worked after the five foot fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I wouldn't trust anyone with my TV mount. If they don't use the right mount and hardware, that plasma will end up on the floor. I had a small 19" LCD mounted on my wall, one day it did hit the floor. It was mounted on an old plastered wall. The plaster gave way and so did the whole mount and TV.

Putting down that kind of change on a TV, I'd do it myself with a high quality mount and the right hardware for the job.

BTW, remarkably, my TV still worked after the five foot fall.
Are the mounting packages, available commercially, easy to install? Is it just a matter of locating the studs? Have 3 of my own I'd like to mount.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Are the mounting packages, available commercially, easy to install? Is it just a matter of locating the studs? Have 3 of my own I'd like to mount.
Yeah, pretty easy. I mounted a 23" LCD up near the ceiling in a corner of the room where our pool table is. Pretty straight forward and I think the mount was <$50 from Lowe's. I haven't gotten around to relocating the plug up there or fishing the cables through the wall, yet.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:38 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post

Well, just get a high quality mount, one that is for your size TV and follow the mounting directions.

Using studs would be optimal, but usually they won't be where you need them. You may be able to catch a stud on one side and use toggle bolts for the other side of the mount. DO NOT USE plastic anchors!

Google pics for both plastic anchors and toggle bolts so you know what they look like.

ETA;

Their are a few websites where you can purchase mounts. Google LCD or Plasma mounts. They are either flat mounts(they don't move), tilt mounts(usually up and down tilting, but also side to side) and the last is articulating mount. Articulating mounts, you can pull the TV away from the wall and angle it in different direction.

Last edited by Mike409; 09-18-2008 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
For something as big as a 60", I'd damn sure make certain that both sides of the mount were hitting studs. If it was lathe/plaster (or a smaller TV) toggle bolts would be fine, I'm sure.

I'm a bit overly cautious that way, I guess.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,776 times
Mounting TVs is pretty simple and straight forward as long as you have quality mounting hardware. I put mine up in a couple hours and I could hang off the bracket which I weigh more than twice my tv. Just make sure you center the studs with the lag bolts and you should be good to go.

If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself just make sure you get someone that will warranty the install and cover for any damage associated with a fall.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,959 times
Be sure to get someone who knows what they are doing. A 60 inch plasma can weigh over 150lbs. You definitely do not want somebody in there with those drywall anchors. Like MrConfigT said, you need lag bolts into studs, not screws. Also make sure they wire up the HDMI and everything properly and test its working before they hang it, because that would be a pain to take on and off.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM

17 posts, read 58,463 times
This is six thousand dollar plasma, so i need the right certified and insured installer

Old 09-20-2008, 01:34 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
For a six thou tv IF there wern't studs where I wanted them you'd be damn sure I spend a weekend opening the wall, putting in the extra studs, plastering and painting. At least I'd sleep at nite.

Interesting way to get rid of a mother-law law though.... hey mom stand on that side of the room, I want to take a picture, oooh whoops!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
For 6K dollars on a plasma why not pay another $300 to have them install it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte