U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumssb View Post
I had no idea you could see the Charlotte Skyline from Grandfather Mountain! That is so cool! I am going to have to go and check that out! Thanks for posting the pic MM34b!
You have to catch it on a really clear day - ususally in the fall or winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have always loved this photo!! I've actually been on Grandfather Mt when the view was this clear and it was sooooo cool!
Me, too - love that picture and have seen that view (well, not w/ that exact coloration).

MM - thanks for posting the link!!! You find neat stuff!!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
How old is this posting? This statement was true ten years ago. Maybe it was written before falling into the coma or something similar? Anyway Moe, after the acquisitions, the skyline might look like Atlanta's. As far as boring, you probably need to get away from that computer and go outside and do something other than making comments that are, how do I put it? Not based on anything substantial, real, or intelligent? Bet you have never been to Charlotte. I just sort of know these things. Best wishes. Oh yea, if you lower yourself to watch a Panther's game played at home, notice than spanking brand new building being constructed next to the stadium. Guess the BOA will have company after all?
Bandi - I don't think this is Moe's opinion - just something he/she was sharing w/ us that was on the national forum.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:49 AM

422 posts, read 1,214,689 times
who gives a rats butt about other cities skylines?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 AM

575 posts, read 1,350,022 times
i guess size matters

Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,648,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Guess I don't see you point. I googled NYC Skyline and now without the Twin Towers it just looks like a bunch of rectangular shaped buildings. Subtract the Empire State Building and what makes its skyline different then any other city?

Why are the skylines of Southern Cities so unrecognizable? Link to the National Forum the OP is referring to.

Besides an overgrown skyline just means my GPS won't work and I'll get lost on my way to the Penguin for some fried pickles.

Wait, what?

What makes it NYC different? Maybe it's the unbelievable sea of amazing architecture. If you take away the Empire State Building, you think NYC would compare to any other city? That is just plain insanity. I'm going to take a guess and say you've never visited NYC.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:18 PM

630 posts, read 1,674,721 times
Theres very few cities that actually have memorable skylines in the US. Boston, NYC, SF and Chicago come to mind. (actual office buildings not Vegas or DC)

Charlotte is on par with LA, Phoenix and most of the mid atlantic and southern cities.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 PM

I have favorite buildings in different cities more than a "skyline" overall. For ex, in CHI, I like the John Hancock building b/c I can go up to the top and catch the nite lights. I love that view.

And I like the BellSouth building in Nashville, b/c it is whimsical looking to me - y'all have surely heard it called the Batman building. In Overland Park, KS, there is a building everyone calls the Darth Vader building. I like the MGM building in Century City . . . it has reflective qualities (or whatever you call it) LOL.

I like BofA's building here in CLT, but I guess I will always think of it as NationsBank. I like the stylistics. I also like the historic KP&L building in KCMO - art nouveau and they have preserved the details on the interior. I think the Hearst building here is interesting.

The buildings themselves are more interesting to me than the skylines, overall.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
I believe the new Wachovia tower will add a new element of recognizable-ness to our skyline.

Childress Klein Properties (http://www.childressklein.com/ck/properties/buildings/detail.sa?detail=1695 - broken link)

http://www.clturban.com/images/wachovia/wachfull.jpg
http://www.clturban.com/images/wacho...towercondo.jpg
http://www.clturban.com/images/wachovia/wachroof.jpg
http://www.clturban.com/images/wacho...oofprofile.jpg

Old 09-20-2008, 10:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Theres very few cities that actually have memorable skylines in the US. Boston, NYC, SF and Chicago come to mind. (actual office buildings not Vegas or DC)

Charlotte is on par with LA, Phoenix and most of the mid atlantic and southern cities.
You should scratch Boston and replace with Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas. Although Boston is a great city, it does not have a skyline that alligns with NYC or Chicago. It is more on line with Philadelphia.

Charlotte is on par (or will be within two years) )with Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Minneapolis.

Not quite sure where to put Miami/Miami Beach. Lots of idle cranes there. And like you mentioned, many are hotels and condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte