U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,145,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would personally take south Charlotte's public schools AND private schools over Union County schools The way you phrased your statement implies there is something wrong with south Charlotte's schools and that is just not accurate.
Agreed, I simply have lost all confidence in UC schools. There's is something definitely wrong here. I have been actively looking for a good private school for my two girls. Nothing at all wrong with sound side CMS schools too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM

240 posts, read 657,906 times
Cool Cms

I agree, South Charlotte CMS schools.

My daughter attended a small private Christian school from K - 6.

I was apprehensive about sending her into CMS as i had heard horror stories and i really thought she would not be challenged, etc.

She attended Community House Middle School for grades 7 & 8. I was very impressed with everything at this school. She was challenged and had great teachers. She loved going to school.

Now in 9th grade at Ardrey Kell. Same story - very challenging school with strong discipline, they want the best of every student. Great teachers and once again, my daughter loves going to school.

I am glad i made the switch to CMS.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 PM

53 posts, read 137,653 times
Default Mecklenberg schools

I would take a look at the NC school report cards. These have been very helpful during our home search. We were able to eliminate neighborhoods quickly based on the report cards.

In terms of Mecklenberg versus Union County, I have consistently been told Union is better. I have been trying to get an understanding of why. A couple people have mentioned frequent rezoning and bussing in Mecklenberg county. Any truth to these rumors?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Transplant View Post
I would take a look at the NC school report cards. These have been very helpful during our home search. We were able to eliminate neighborhoods quickly based on the report cards.

In terms of Mecklenberg versus Union County, I have consistently been told Union is better. I have been trying to get an understanding of why. A couple people have mentioned frequent rezoning and bussing in Mecklenberg county. Any truth to these rumors?
Union County schools are good, but they are not better than south Charlotte schools. Frankly, if you want an honest opinion I think some newcomers gravitate toward the western Union county schools because they have the reputation of being more "suburban". Now, the truth is, the south Charlotte schools are suburban too, but most of Mecklenburg county's schools are more urban, and this scares some folks. Also, it is a myth that Charlotte schools rezone more than Union County schools. They BOTH rezone whenever they have to to fill a newly built school. There are actually more new schools in Union County in the last couple of years than in south Charlotte, so I think UC folks have moved around more.

And lastly, Charlotte DOES NOT bus its students. Of course we have bus transportation, but all kids go to neighborhood schools - unless they go to a magnet and then they travel further from home. But we did away with busing about 5-6 years ago now, so this is no longer an issue here like it is in the Raleigh area.

Hope this helps you to understand the lay of the land

Old 10-01-2008, 04:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,171,186 times
You need to look into Fort Mill. Pretty much the best public schools in the area and there is anywhere from a 30-50 minute commute to uptown depending on exactly where in Fort Mill you are starting from.

Lots of great resources such as greatschools.com, the report cards, etc. to check out the individual schools. Like everyone has said, not every school in CMS is bad just like not every school in UC is great.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM

295 posts, read 972,392 times
Tega cay, SC would be a no-brainer. Great schools, easy commute and low tax's.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 PM

8 posts, read 12,606 times
Default agree with south charlotte

and areas around highway 51 are relatively close to uptown (15-30 minutes depending on time of day and location). We just did this search and looked very hard for school options. I like areas that funnel to Olde Providence and Elizabeth Lane due to good elem, middle, and high schools there (typically those elementaries, then South Charlotte Middle, then Providence). You can search some real estate sites by school choice which helps a lot.

I found better home prices in the Elizabeth Lane areas. You can easily get 4+ bedrooms and nice houses for your price range. The areas off Alexander or Rea (on opposite sides of Providence) are really nice and have great schools (E Lane on the East side and OP on the west). We ended up choosing a house in that area and couldn't be happier. Great schools, gorgeous old trees and nice houses with fun neighbors. The people on this list helped us narrow our search considerably.

I work uptown. It takes me 15 minutes if off commute time (which I do at times) and 30 minutes during regular commute. A major accident could push that to 40, but it's more often 20-25.

Good luck. We *love* Charlotte and hope to stay here forever.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM

17 posts, read 45,209 times
Smile Our 7 year experience in CMS & UCPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepunk View Post
We are looking to move to Charlotte area. I believe I would be working in uptown near the arena. We have a 1st grader. Area with good school with nice homes (4+ beds) priced around $400K would be good for us. Reading from some of the previous posts here, it seems that south part of the Charlotte is the way to go. Is that the case? How long of commute would it be from some of the towns in the south (Marvin, Waxhaw, Weddington, etc) to uptown?

Any info would be very appreciated.
We have experienced both school systems from 1st grade to a graduated HS senior. Putting it in perspective for your situation, you have a young child and a long haul through the school system (of your choice). All of the elementary schools in CMS-south charlotte area as well as UCPS north-west area are great family schools. Your needs may change as your child(ren) develops. Maybe form a strategy of #1 Where do you worship? #2 How much are you willing to pay in taxes? #3 How much time are you willing to give up for commuting (is 10 hrs -added to a 50hr work week- worth it to be away from you & the children a sacrifice your husband will want make?) Just some ideas for you to consider in your quest. In the 7 years that we have lived here our kids have been shuffled by rezoning so when we thought we were making our best decision for schools; it really meant nothing for us today. A lot changes before they get to secondary school. You have to start by asking yourselves, "What is important to me now and for the next 3-5 years?" That will at least get your little learner to middle school.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 AM

221 posts, read 485,011 times
It is an oxymoron to use the word "Charlotte" and the words "good schools" in the same sentence.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterserv View Post
It is an oxymoron to use the word "Charlotte" and the words "good schools" in the same sentence.
NOT true and in fact misleading. There are some great schools in Charlotte. Yes, there are struggling inner city ones too - but that is what happens in all big cities when you have to deal with all the social ills associated with big city life. HOWEVER, some of our schools are in fact some of the best in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or