U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
 
Location: midwest transplant
370 posts, read 651,449 times
Reputation: 243

Advertisements

I am a Kansas transplant as well! We moved from Wichita to Charlotte about 4 years ago.

I will say that we are moving from Union County to Charlotte in a few weeks. Our experience for the commute to Uptown has just been too much for hubby. In rush hour, in the event of a wreck, it could take an hour plus or more. In addition, I am looking forward to being out of Union schools. While I know CMS has its problems, Union does as well. We have not experienced anything particular, but a lot of parents have. I am hoping my kiddos will get into a magnet, but if not, the south Charlotte school district is quite desireable. We visited Providence Springs and it is GREAT. I was very impressed with the tests scores as well.

Best of luck to you. NC is very different from KS, but overall we love it here. I will say we do not miss the volatile weather there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
I am a Kansas transplant as well! We moved from Wichita to Charlotte about 4 years ago.

I will say that we are moving from Union County to Charlotte in a few weeks. Our experience for the commute to Uptown has just been too much for hubby. In rush hour, in the event of a wreck, it could take an hour plus or more. In addition, I am looking forward to being out of Union schools. While I know CMS has its problems, Union does as well. We have not experienced anything particular, but a lot of parents have. I am hoping my kiddos will get into a magnet, but if not, the south Charlotte school district is quite desireable. We visited Providence Springs and it is GREAT. I was very impressed with the tests scores as well.

Best of luck to you. NC is very different from KS, but overall we love it here. I will say we do not miss the volatile weather there.

Providence Springs Elementary is the #1 in CMS - and one of the best in the state You are lucky if your kids are assigned there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Concord, NC
72 posts, read 210,180 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Providence Springs Elementary is the #1 in CMS - and one of the best in the state You are lucky if your kids are assigned there!
Just curious, how do kids get 'assigned' to a school...? It's just based on whether you live in the zone for that school, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
 
Location: midwest transplant
370 posts, read 651,449 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneygirl1180 View Post
Just curious, how do kids get 'assigned' to a school...? It's just based on whether you live in the zone for that school, right?
Yes. The school district is based on your address.

We will be in the Providence Spring, Crestdale, Providence High district. All of them seem pretty good and considering our school now is almost double capacity, we are pretty excited for the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: midwest transplant
370 posts, read 651,449 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Providence Springs Elementary is the #1 in CMS - and one of the best in the state You are lucky if your kids are assigned there!


Thanks! That is one of the reasons we picked the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
123 posts, read 270,830 times
Reputation: 36
My son goes to Providence Spring and he just loves it there, so do all of his friends and our neighbors. Also PSE is a Blue Ribbon School this year.

As to find the school that you would be assigned to -- it's based on your address. Here is a link that will help you to find the school : Geospatial Portal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top