Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times

Advertisements

I know there are those out there that hate that Charlotte is leaving their hometowns behind in a cloud of dust in a journey out of medeocrity. I base this on the many postings that cut the city in all facets possible. Truth is, people don't cram local achievements down throats or go around bragging and being otherwise obnoxious. That is what is so wonderful about southerners, the lack of pretentiousness. Anyway, Charlotte is indeed a rising star being the number two banking center in the U.S. and that is about to improve with the likely acquisition of Merrill Lynch. Charlotte has eight Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the city. If and when Merrill has its headquartes moved here, it will have nine. Charlotte which is only suprassed in numbers by NYC, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta. If Merrill Lynch moves here, Charlotte will be there tied with Atlanta who is just behind Chicago. Oh yea, and the Panthers are pretty good too. Looks like Charlotte is a city known all over the world. For those critics, the population may not be there at this time, but all other economic indicators put us with the big boys around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
I love having an NFL team, and used to never miss a Hornets Game back in the day.
Other than that and the daily CLT-MUC Lufthansa flights, I liked it better when Charlotte was much quieter and less crowded to be completely honest. All these people moving here and using up all the water. I used to irrigate every day and had a lawn like the Biltmore House...

Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Charlotte has eight Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the city. If and when Merrill has its headquartes moved here, it will have nine. Charlotte which is only suprassed in numbers by NYC, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta. If Merrill Lynch moves here, Charlotte will be there tied with Atlanta who is just behind Chicago. Oh yea, and the Panthers are pretty good too. Looks like Charlotte is a city known all over the world. For those critics, the population may not be there at this time, but all other economic indicators put us with the big boys around the world.
Actually, you're wrong as the city of Charlotte has 7 Fortune 500 and 8 total in the metropolitan area. And IF the Merrill Lynch - Bank of America merger happens, they will become one entity so Charlotte would not be gaining another Fortune 500 company.

Fortune 500 companies (city proper numbers only)
New York 43
Houston 25
Dallas 12
Chicago 12
Atlanta 9
St. Louis 8
Minneapolis 7
Columbus 7
Philadelphia 7
Charlotte 7

The number of Fortune 500 companies by metro area is a better indication overall. Here are some metropolitan totals.
Minneapolis - St. Paul 18
Atlanta 11
Denver 10
Seattle 10
Cincinnati 9
Charlotte 8
Pittsburgh 6
Omaha 4

Last edited by BlackOut; 09-19-2008 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 04:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I like new resources coming to the area . . . and am glad to see good businesses here. But in some ways, I want it to slow down as far as the neighborhood growth, b/c of our infrastructure. We need to catch up w/ roads, schools, sewer and water.

I don't want to lose the charm of the South in the hustle and bustle and so far, I think we have managed to hang on to those good things. I just don't want that to be lost . . .

What I would like to see is more world class entertainment. Yes, we have some good things going on! But I want MORE!!!!

I want to see more developed along the shorelines of LKN, too . . .meaning, marina-related, walkable areas w/ shops and restaurants, recreation areas, etc.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
I agree with most everything you said, ani, except for more development on Lake Norman. Until the roads in that area improve dramitacally, new development will be the root of a lot of problems. They're doing some improvements, but more still neesd to be done to prepare for the future growth.

More marinas, not so much. The last thing needed is more idiots on the water. I quit going out on Norman because of the irresponsible people out there. Of course, it would hopefully mean more reasonable docking. Or not.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I agree with most everything you said, ani, except for more development on Lake Norman. Until the roads in that area improve dramitacally, new development will be the root of a lot of problems. They're doing some improvements, but more still neesd to be done to prepare for the future growth.

More marinas, not so much. The last thing needed is more idiots on the water. I quit going out on Norman because of the irresponsible people out there. Of course, it would hopefully mean more reasonable docking. Or not.
Good points, Spanky. I would like to see more docking and restaurants that cater to the "float up" crowd. Dock your boat and food and drink is brought to you if you don't want to come inside. If the demand were high enuff, the restaurants could limit walk-in space (both parking and tables) for the landlubbers. That way, there would not be an increase in actual car traffic. Then, the service line is aimed to boaters. Now the problem w/ that business model is that it would tend to be seasonal. So I have not quite figured out how to keep a business vital year round if one is limiting the foot and car traffic. My initial thought is . . . large parking lot located away from the marina and boardwalk area . . . wh/ requires people to park and walk (just as we do in coastal communities). But that would have to be well planned out and require a lot of imaginative thinking on the parts of both private landowners and municipalities. I don't know that anyone has the vision, LOL. (One can hope). If I had the $$$ I would surely be checking out how that vision could be put together, tho. Or if I were in a municipal planning office . . .

Old 09-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Actually, you're wrong as the city of Charlotte has 7 Fortune 500 and 8 total in the metropolitan area. And IF the Merrill Lynch - Bank of America merger happens, they will become one entity so Charlotte would not be gaining another Fortune 500 company.

Fortune 500 companies (city proper numbers only)
New York 43
Houston 25
Dallas 12
Chicago 12
Atlanta 9
St. Louis 8
Minneapolis 7
Columbus 7
Philadelphia 7
Charlotte 7

The number of Fortune 500 companies by metro area is a better indication overall. Here are some metropolitan totals.
Minneapolis - St. Paul 18
Atlanta 11
Denver 10
Seattle 10
Cincinnati 9
Charlotte 8
Pittsburgh 6
Omaha 4
I believe that I said Charlotte, not Charlotte and surrounding area otherwise I would have included Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, Greensboro, etc. Merrill Lynch may continue under the same name as well as Morgan Stanley, if acquired by Wichovia. We do not know. That would possibly put Charlotte on the same level as Atlanta, tied for number five in Fortune 500 cities. I think that Minneapolis and St. Paul are close enough to list as one city, but they are "not" one city and the list at which I am referring is talking about headquarters "in" that particular city. LOL. Charlotte metro had 12 Fortune 500 companies on a non updated list from 2006. Funny that the list has Charlotte on top of those cities with seven headquarters and you put it on the bottom. You must not be a proud Charlotte boy? LOL.

Last edited by vindaloo; 09-20-2008 at 11:14 AM..

Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Funny that the list has Charlotte on top of those cities with seven headquarters and you put it on the bottom. You must not be a proud Charlotte boy? LOL.
LOL! I think Charlotte is great and I have plenty of pride when it comes to how well the city is doing. However, I can't stand it when people such as yourself misrepresent it with inaccurate information. It's fine for one to have pride in their, but your civic boosterism is borderline pathetic.

Quote:
I believe that I said Charlotte, not Charlotte and surrounding area otherwise I would have included Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, Greensboro, etc.
LOL! Are you serious? I listed totals for city and metropolitan areas. Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, and Greensboro are not part of the Charlotte MSA.

Quote:
Merrill Lynch may continue under the same name as well as Morgan Stanley, if acquired by Wichovia. We do not know.
Very unlikely.

Quote:
I think that Minneapolis and St. Paul are close enough to list as one city, but they are "not" one city and the list at which I am referring is talking about headquarters "in" that particular city. LOL. Charlotte metro had 12 Fortune 500 companies on a non updated list from 2006.
Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another and no, they are not completely separated by the Mississippi River. When economists and planners refer to central cities they refer to Minneapolis-St. Paul as one central city.

BTW, MPLS. has 7 Fortune 500 and
St. Paul has 3.

Quote:
Charlotte metro had 12 Fortune 500 companies on a non updated list from 2006.

The Charlotte MSA has never had 12 Fortune 500 companies.

You obviously need updated and accurate information regarding this subject so please visit this site: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2008/

Old 09-20-2008, 01:14 PM

167 posts, read 474,000 times
wait did you just say, "if Merrill Lynch moves here?"

the purpose of a buy out is that the acquired company and branding goes away and the acquiring company name prevails- furthermore, no one is moving anywhere- the business that BAC and Merrill proper have in NYC aren't going anywhere in terms of location- I wouldn't expect a bunch of financial services jobs to magically show up in Charlotte overnight

the only place BAC has ever kept an acquired company's branding that is with the UK business they've bought over the years just based on UK perception of the name "Bank of America" given the sour view the UK has for the US right now- but I don't see that sticking around too long and sooner or later that will change

Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LOL! I think Charlotte is great and I have plenty of pride when it comes to how well the city is doing. However, I can't stand it when people such as yourself misrepresent it with inaccurate information. It's fine for one to have pride in their, but your civic boosterism is borderline pathetic.

LOL! Are you serious? I listed totals for city and metropolitan areas. Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, and Greensboro are not part of the Charlotte MSA.

Very unlikely.

Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another and no, they are not completely separated by the Mississippi River. When economists and planners refer to central cities they refer to Minneapolis-St. Paul as one central city.

BTW, MPLS. has 7 Fortune 500 and St. Paul has 3.

The Charlotte MSA has never had 12 Fortune 500 companies.

You obviously need updated and accurate information regarding this subject so please visit this site: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2008/

You say potato, I say potatto!! Who cares!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte