Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 04:40 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever been there? I've got family visiting us who said it came recommended to them. I searched but found very little on CD.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
I'm been several times because the food is good. I'll give you the good and the bad. It's not big, not many tables, plenty of celebrities pictures on wall and slow service. Simmons' restaurant is very old and outdated family business. Only one waitress who knows everyone, although she is polite, her service is slow. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The food is mouth watering, slamming sweet potatoes, greens, baked chicken, mac n cheese. I had better fried chicken and potatoe salad.

Also, parking is very limited depending on the time and day.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:49 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Simmon's used to be one of my number one places to take visitors. The food is pretty good, and the "messy" look of it used to give it a sort of character in my opinion. Then I went there recently, and as the previous poster noted, the service wasn't the best, and worst of all they served us on these plastic tray like things. It wasn't a good experience. I'm not saying don't go, but there might be better options.
Simmon's website: Soul Food Restaurant in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Mert's is in a great location in the heart of Uptown, but there food can be sometimey in my opinion, but overall, I'd recommend it before Simmons.
Mert's website: Mert's Heart and Soul Restaurant Charlotte NC Merts Official Site

Lola's has two locations Uptown. The one at Bervard & MLK Blvd near the convention center is excellent because its open 7 days a week, while the one on N. Tryon I think closes on the weekends. But their food is excellent, and the locations look nice. The only things is that its a little off the beaten path.

Lola's Restaurant
300 S Brevard St
Charlotte, NC 28202
(704) 353-3545‎

The Coffee Cup is a very popular place to get Southern/Soul food, but its not in Uptown, its in the University area. But its a nice location and the food is good.
Coffee Cup website: SWiSH Movie - index.swi - www.swishzone.com

Old 09-20-2008, 06:54 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times
Thanks to both of you for your insight. We went ahead and had lunch there today. Pretty good food, very good fried chicken and sweet potatoes. Carolina Blue, the styrofoam trays were awful, agreed. However, very nice service helped make up for that. I will look into the other ideas you mentioned.
PS--I'm still full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte