Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,642,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

And, then, there are also the subdivisions (like mine) that has no amenities and the only reason that the HOA exists is to keep our common areas up. Useless!!
I chose to live in a subdivision with an HOA & amenities and I love it. Maybe you have a bad taste in your mouth about certain HOA's but to me, ours does a very good job. They are tied into our community watch program, they coordinate w/the local sheriff dept to keep thug kids from vandalizing properties.

In regards to these people, they had plenty of opportunities to make things right if you read the article in the union weekly. Where does it end? Do you believe in holding people accountable when they can make things right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:22 PM

160 posts, read 399,769 times
I can see the HOA putting a lien on the property, but why would they foreclose? I didn't even know that was possible. It's certainly not feasable. The bank would get all the money most likely and the hoa would get nothing for their trouble.

Home prices need to drop 10-20% anyways. A family that makes median income should be able to afford a home (on a 30 yr fixed rate) that is in the median price range. The real issue behind all of these troubles we are in is how real wages have fallen in this country for 30 yrs. And the only solution to this is to increase wages to the middle class.

But printing money is much easier I suppose.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,248 times
If you read the Union County weekly, it says they did not agree to $100/month last year. But now that the HOA is proceeding, they want to halt everything now and pay $500 immediately then $100/month thereafter. They should have just worked out the plan last year when the HOA was willing to work with them. I know this situation first hand and it is very important to work out payments sooner rather than later as it only keeps building higher and then there is no end in sight, just buried deeper. Believe me I feel awful that they are losing their home, I know exactly the boat they are in but when a creditor, the HOA in this case, starts saying they are going to pursue further, then it is time to bite the bullet and pay up.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,273 times
I was reading the article on line and some of the comments from people that live in that developement were quite disturbing. One posted about a trampoline, swingset, and toys all over the back yard. Another posted, about a big CATERED 4th Of July party these people threw. Again, everyone talks about priorties, well.....it sounds like theirs are a little messed up if these stories are true. Another family living above their means and wanting sympathy. GOT TO KEEP UP WITH THE JONES'S. My development too has a lot of people that owe dues. It's a townhome developemnt and dues are $100 monthly. Some have not paid since they moved in. Most responsible people budget for this needed expense as if it was food, electric, gas etc. I think the other owners in the developement deserve that money and the HOA represents the paying homeowners. Pay up or get out!!!! Why should anyone else pay for your lawn, your garbage, your kids peeing in the pool, etc!!!

Lastly, because of people like this, my HOA has no extra money to powerwash homes, improve services or save money for repairs and infrastructure. I'm sure we will end up with a special assessment.

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 09-23-2008 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: awful typing skills

Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
Default When looking to buy perhaps one should

perform due deligence on the state of affairs with the dues in the community.
Before buying can one ask to see the list of arrears on payments in addition to the budget_ I would think since you are signing a convenant you should also know what you¨¨r signing into. Do the rules and regulations outline how much of an assesment the dues paying members are charged when there is a shortfall.

Something to think about

Old 09-24-2008, 06:33 AM

755 posts, read 2,481,987 times
Thanks for the heads up, BRKLYN2CLT. Those comments sure are eye-opening. I also noticed that mom sure could afford her cigarettes in addition to "food for her children."

Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
perform due deligence on the state of affairs with the dues in the community.
Before buying can one ask to see the list of arrears on payments in addition to the budget_ I would think since you are signing a convenant you should also know what you¨¨r signing into. Do the rules and regulations outline how much of an assesment the dues paying members are charged when there is a shortfall.

Something to think about
I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately when I bought my place...it was in the early stages of the development and the builders management company was in place (what a disaster they were) Anyhow, we turned over in July to our HOA and are auditing the books. It's a disaster. I don't know if you can get an answer on that question when purchasing a home in a develpoement. I do not know if that is legally public information.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You hit the nail on the head....unfortunately my generation and younger are a materialistic society.......not ALL of us want that, some of us really do try to live below their means, but "keeping up w/the joneses" is really ruining this country.....

this is so true..I lived it in NJ and I see it here with people it amazes my people think that because "well my neighbor has it" then I should too...
but again I agree I dont have any sympathy either, This country is in this turmoil now with the mortgage industry because they did just hand out loans to anyone, and when you see oh wow what I can get for this and that, Buying a home is very emotional and most people dont rationalize it before hand..they see something like ok so its a little over the price range but we can do it...doesnt mean that they can...and Banks and Mortgage companies were very enticing for some people and in the end everyone winds up suffering...

We too love living in an HOA community because we have children and wanted the amenitites and such...its also great for resale value...We had an inground pool Oasis so to speak in our last home and honestly dh and I just didnt want to do the upkeep anymore and my children are excellent swimmers so HOA communities are personal choice

Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,655,325 times
Quote:
That is so sad. One more reason not to live in a HOA. (the mortgage issue is something else entirely)
I know some people don't like having an HOA. Personally - I like that I don't have to mow grass or do any yard work. And it ensures that I don't live next door to someone with 2-foot-high grass in the front yard surrounding a car up on blocks.

That said, I would never choose to live somewhere if I read the HOA documents and decided that their rules were unacceptable.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,655,325 times
Quote:
I think that HOAs should be banned. I know that will cause some people heart failure, but, I simply do not see the need.

I am sure after this article that there will be a huge surge of interest in HOAs and the legalities and such. I hope that the government gets its act together and bans them outright. That would be a service to us all.

and to those who will cry...but, who will enforce the rules?? Why, the city of course. That is what 311 is for. Amenities? that is what the local YMCA is for. that way nobody is forced to pay for something that they don't use nor care about. And, then, there are also the subdivisions (like mine) that has no amenities and the only reason that the HOA exists is to keep our common areas up. Useless!!
You want to see HOAs banned so that, "nobody is forced to pay for something that they don't use nor care about." But the truth is it is already that way. No one is forced to pay for an HOA - if you don't want one, don't move to a community that has one. That seems pretty simple to me.

Your solution is to take away options from potential buyers. Is this because:
a) You think people are too stupid to make grown-up decisions for themselves?
b) You are so highly enlightened that you know what is best for everyone?

As I've stated before, I like having an HOA. When I went shopping for my first home in Baltimore a few years ago, I looked at communities that had one as well as ones who did not. I can tell you that every single non-HOA community I looked at had at least a few properties that looked horrible and under-maintained - no exceptions. The HOA communities were pretty much the opposite. If my neighbor has a junkyard in his front lawn, why should I have to take responsibility for calling 311 and having to deal with it? I'm glad to pay someone to take care of that service for me. If the HOA mows my lawn, takes care of my landscaping and keeps out the riff-raff, its money well spent in my book. And no one "forced" me to pay for it; I looked at the covenants, looked at the fees, and made a decision about whether or not I would have an issue with living in my community - and I did that all by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte