U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 AM

236 posts, read 732,342 times

Advertisements

Owners with unpaid dues risk losing their home

Residents are falling behind on association fees, and one family faces foreclosure.

An unprecedented number of Charlotte-area residents are failing to pay dues to their homeowners and condominium associations, driving worries that pools will close, maintenance will suffer and property values will fall. Lawyers and management companies for hundreds of community associations in the region say dues delinquencies have risen sharply with the foreclosure crisis and the sour economy. Although they don't know exactly how many home and condo owners are in arrears, they say it has likely doubled in the last two years.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/408/story/209268.html

Last edited by mm34b; 09-23-2008 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:29 AM

236 posts, read 732,342 times
Anyone catch this story? I just have one question for the mortgage/realtor folks.
From the article it says that their rate went from 9% to 13.6%.

What kind of arm jumps up that many points?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,138,398 times
That is so sad. One more reason not to live in a HOA. (the mortgage issue is something else entirely)

Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,642,963 times
I feel for them and sorry it happen but they did agree to covenants of the HOA

Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,746,669 times
I feel for them and equally for those that will have to pay more in order for the property to be maintained according to the budget.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 AM

630 posts, read 1,678,764 times
Maybe they should have been a little less house greedy. I don't feel bad for them, they made their bed. I feel bad for their neighbors who have to foot the bill for their carelessness.

She didn't know the HOA could foreclose? Did she do any research whatsoever? Did they even read the closing documents?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 AM

628 posts, read 1,859,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Maybe they should have been a little less house greedy. I don't feel bad for them, they made their bed. I feel bad for their neighbors who have to foot the bill for their carelessness.

She didn't know the HOA could foreclose? Did she do any research whatsoever? Did they even read the closing documents?
Well said......They knew they had to pay them when they bought their home. It's an expense like water, electricity and gas. It HAS to be paid.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,033,178 times
It looks like they may have NEVER paid their HOA dues. Only in the house 2 years, $795 per year = $1590 + any late fees etc. What were they thinking? They didn't know?? Great, uniformed and bad at managing money...this outcome is predictable.

I have a hard time drumming up sympathy. Yes, it is awful, no, I don't think HOA's should have that kind of power but if they can't come up with $2200 they probably won't be able to keep the house for long anyway. They should find a way to pay the dues and stop the foreclosure, then put the house up for sale and move somewhere they can afford.

April Maher said they received notice last year that they owed $2,200 in homeowners association and legal fees and didn't pay it “because food for the kids was at the top of my list.” Their annual fee is $795 a year.

Sorry, I don't buy it. I wonder if they have cable TV and cell phones. I wonder how much their car payments are, how often they go out to eat or if they took a vacation this year or if they spend money on other frivolous items that they can't find $66 a month to pay HOA dues. It just doesn't add up....and sad for them, now they might lose their house.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 AM

630 posts, read 1,678,764 times
Being neighbors with a family who feel HOA rules don't apply to them (or common sense of being good neighbors), I also wonder how their neighbors feel.

If this family didn't feel the need to pay the HOA fees, I wonder if they care about its rules. I know in my case I would like to see the HOA step in further and my other neighbors feel the same way. In that aspect I'm glad an HOA can foreclose because in the end its the only real bargaining chip the HOA has. How many letters from the HOA has this family thrown away? From the sound of it, its been 3 years worth.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,546,867 times
One part of me thinks that some people may not have understood what an ARM was and the documents they were signing. Maybe the mortgage lender and sales people told them something different. So in that aspect I could feel bad for them.
But on the other hand, 800 dollars a year seems more than the average for an HOA. They should have known they couldn't afford that amount to begin with. They also could have bought a house that was 200K instead rather than something that was almost 300 thousand dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte