U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 PM

422 posts, read 1,217,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchug View Post
No offense to you -- honestly -- but this constant media frenzy is hurting as much as it's helping.

People read this post (or watch the constant OMG GAS WATCH 2008!!!!! on Channel 3, read the Charlotte fish wrap, etc.) and instantly rush off to whereever may have a drop of gas -- thus making the situation that much worse.

I just made a quick run out to the store, and there were cars lined onto Pleasant Road and 77 trying to get to the one Exxon off Gold Hill that had gas. Not surprisingly, I passed a NewsChannel 36 satellite truck, as well.

The media (and thus, we the sheeple) is/are making this 400 times worse than it actually is, and that's the maddening part.
When you have 100 gas stations open, of course there are no lines..... when only 3 of those 100 gas stations are open, your gonna see lines..... its simple math...

PEOPLE NEED GAS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
We have decided to wait until tomorrow. We have a 5 gal gas can filled up (for our generator, LOL) and if we have a family emergency, we will just add that and hope we can get gas along the way.

I have elderly parents in Blowing Rock and we have been called during the nite to ER, so for many of us, keeping a full tank has nothing to do w/ panic - it has to do w/ knowing we can take care of family members. I have had to head out twice after 2 am to Blowing Rock in the last three years . . . and last year, had to head to ER in Hickory for another family emergency.

Some of us try to always have gas b/c of personal situations. All you need to have happen is to head to an emergency situation and run out of gas along the way at 3 or 4 am in the morning.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:55 PM

187 posts, read 496,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post

PEOPLE NEED GAS!!!!!
People do need gas. That much is not arguable.

There is also just as much of a problem with people who don't actually immediately need gas running out and buying it all up because of the Chicken Little reporting by the media.

There are a ton of responsible people in the Charlotte area who are conserving, cutting down on trips and such, but there are just as many who are filling up handfuls of gas cans, filling their tank every two days, filling up every car they have, etc., and we as a people are as much to blame as the distributors, the station owners and even Hurricane Ike.

I've noticed the fish wrap didn't bother using Pat McCrory's advice not to panic as a headline...stunning.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 PM

422 posts, read 1,217,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have decided to wait until tomorrow. We have a 5 gal gas can filled up (for our generator, LOL) and if we have a family emergency, we will just add that and hope we can get gas along the way.

I have elderly parents in Blowing Rock and we have been called during the nite to ER, so for many of us, keeping a full tank has nothing to do w/ panic - it has to do w/ knowing we can take care of family members. I have had to head out twice after 2 am to Blowing Rock in the last three years . . . and last year, had to head to ER in Hickory for another family emergency.

Some of us try to always have gas b/c of personal situations. All you need to have happen is to head to an emergency situation and run out of gas along the way at 3 or 4 am in the morning.
Ani, I really do love you!! I think you are the only reasonable person on this forum.

This is why I am so bothered by all the comments here today.... "the idiots with SUVS".. the gas horders who actually need to have gas..... what the heck is wrong with everyone???

YES, people need gas!! YES, some might need a whole tank, maybe they have a long commute everyday, maybe they are on call and dont have the time to bullsh*t around looking for gas...

I wish people would just worry about their own darn gas and cars... everyones situation is DIFFERENT!!! Except it!!!!

What we should be doing on this thread, is helping folks out and giving tips on where and who has gas.

Props to Coupon, Berryjuice and everyone else who did just that.....

Everyone else, stop being so darn concerned on why these folks actually need gas!!!!! And if you do conserve- GOOD FOR YOU, do you want a medel!!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM

41 posts, read 179,100 times
I can't believe how greedy and vicious some people can be.Things like this really bring out the worst in people. I was just at a gas station waiting for an hour and it was a mad house... people yelling at each other, people cutting in line, people cussing, throwing the bird, people demanding that they get more than 30bucks. There was what looked like an off duty cop trying to direct the flow of cars and the 2 cars in front of me wouldn't even listen to the guy. He got fed up with our side and told us to figure it our ourselves... Luckily I had already secured a spot in line, so I didn't have to fight with the people around me. Definitely not an experience I would like to have every time I go to the pump.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:05 PM

228 posts, read 842,909 times
The way everyone is attacking eachother over gas on an online forum is making me fear returning from Durham tonight and having to actually go to a gas station... :-(

Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,484,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
The way everyone is attacking eachother over gas on an online forum is making me fear returning from Durham tonight and having to actually go to a gas station... :-(

Your going down buddy!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:15 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
I gotta ask . . . do most people really drive around most of the time w/ only a few gallons of gas? Cause that is what it appears to me. I mean - if the problem is really everyone topping off, freaking at out half a tank, etc . .. doesn't that imply that for the most part - people drive around w/ less than a half of tank?

Also - people are getting in fights! My son witnessed one in Lenoir! People getting really angry w/ each other! People even getting angry if someone is filling up a gas can! Maybe they need the gas to run some equipment! But people act like they are hoarding and so get angry.

Dear me.

CMPD is saying people have rammed each other in stations! Out of anger! What is going on . . .

I want that Vespa!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,492,849 times
Wow! The human race---never ceases to amaze me anymore! This is not going to last forever! Yep, you may miss a day of work. What about those poor people where Ike actually took out their homes..their lives! We're talking about "gas" here. Possibly missing some work..a bit less cash for those needed expenditures but we are alive and well. We have our homes, family and food. If people get this crazy over this what in the world will happen if something really bad happens?? I don't even want to think about that! Oh my!!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:18 PM

716 posts, read 1,912,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
Ani, I really do love you!! I think you are the only reasonable person on this forum.

This is why I am so bothered by all the comments here today.... "the idiots with SUVS".. the gas horders who actually need to have gas..... what the heck is wrong with everyone???

YES, people need gas!! YES, some might need a whole tank, maybe they have a long commute everyday, maybe they are on call and dont have the time to bullsh*t around looking for gas...

I wish people would just worry about their own darn gas and cars... everyones situation is DIFFERENT!!! Except it!!!!

What we should be doing on this thread, is helping folks out and giving tips on where and who has gas.

Props to Coupon, Berryjuice and everyone else who did just that.....

Everyone else, stop being so darn concerned on why these folks actually need gas!!!!! And if you do conserve- GOOD FOR YOU, do you want a medel!!
I think what people are trying to point out is that it's greed and wastefulness that have gotten us into this situation in the first place. If we were all considerate, and conservative in our driving habits, and drove alternative fuel vehicles, well...what a wonderful world it might be! We wouldn't have people trying to kill each other over a tank of freaking gasoline.

What you're seeing is the way of people who are natural problem solvers. They're not looking for the "How do I slap a band-aid on this?" solution, like telling everyone where to find gas. They're trying to fix the root of the problem so it doesn't happen again. Sometimes that comes off like, "YOU'RE A GREEDY, SUV DRIVING IDIOT" whether they mean that or not...

And yes, I would like a medal. Thanks for asking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte