Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 05:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Here is info on buying gas cans . . . fumes from a gas can can cause air pollution as well as cause a fire. . .

Spill-Proof Gas Cans: Better for you and the Environment, Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management, Maine Department of Environmental Protection (http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/spillproofgascans.htm - broken link)

More info on proper gas cans - appears all new ones after 2009 have different construction for safety:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/saf...roof-gasc.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here is info on buying gas cans . . . fumes from a gas can can cause air pollution as well as cause a fire. . .

Spill-Proof Gas Cans: Better for you and the Environment, Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management, Maine Department of Environmental Protection (http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/spillproofgascans.htm - broken link)
In 2 years of working in the burn unit at Brooke Army Medical Center, I can recall no less than 3 people who were critically injured ( a 2 year old died) as a direct result of stored gasoline cathcing fire and exploding. This is a REALLY bad idea! (as well as quite possibly illegal)

Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,109 times
Yeah...I guess it wouldn't be fair to the other 4 units attached to me!!! I'll just keep about 10 gallons at all times. I'll have to wait until I purchase my compound!!!!

Again, this shortage show how vulnerable we all are in times of crisis. What if we had another attack on US soil worse than 9-11? People really need to be prepared. Oh well...I'm finished hijacking this thread

(only kidding about the compound)

Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 PM

116 posts, read 332,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Does anyone know how much gas you can legally store at home?? I'd like to store some with my MRE's, water, gold, arms, radio, and the rest of my survival gear so I'm prepared for anything. (some of you might think I'm kidding however I'm really not)

I think I want to store like 60 gallons in my garage. I'd like to get a tank custom made.
If you have a mortgage you may want to check that little read 16 page document the deed of trust which everyone signs at closing but oh so few read.
Contained amongst all the legalese is a section of do's and don'ts, one of those do nots is a limit on the amount of 'flammable liquid' you can store in your home/attached garage.....along with the usual quirky things like no livestock and keep your property in 'good shape'

Practically speaking I don't see your mortgage company coming out to check but hey its in there!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Yeah...I guess it wouldn't be fair to the other 4 units attached to me!!! I'll just keep about 10 gallons at all times. I'll have to wait until I purchase my compound!!!!

Again, this shortage show how vulnerable we all are in times of crisis. What if we had another attack on US soil worse than 9-11? People really need to be prepared. Oh well...I'm finished hijacking this thread

(only kidding about the compound)
Well I agree with you on just how delicate our society really is. Something like a hurricane several hundred miles away can bring delay life to a halt and just how totally dependent we are on gas....Driving from University Area all the way back to Wesley Chapel and only seeing one gas station with availability, needing a stalling police cruiser to regulate the gas line wasn't my idea of something that should occur in the US.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well I agree with you on just how delicate our society really is. Something like a hurricane several hundred miles away can bring delay life to a halt and just how totally dependent we are on gas....Driving from University Area all the way back to Wesley Chapel and only seeing one gas station with availability, needing a stalling police cruiser to regulate the gas line wasn't my idea of something that should occur in the US.
You know, I think about this every so often . . . our vulnerability due to use of electricity. Don't think this is hijacking since we are talking about gas - wh/ is a form of energy. The electricity goes off . . . and our society is rendered helpless. And all the microchips . . . and w/ tv going digital . . . just seems everything in our lives depends on something artificial to "power" it.

Yet, what are our alternatives? A bicycle will only get a person so far . . . and even if I have a manual typewriter - where would I find the ribbons . . .Even a wood stove depends on one having enuff wood to keep the thing stoked up . . .

This whole gas shortage thing has really made me think about how we depend on so many systems of energy - and we are totally vulnerable when any of them fail.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You know, I think about this every so often . . . our vulnerability due to use of electricity. Don't think this is hijacking since we are talking about gas - wh/ is a form of energy. The electricity goes off . . . and our society is rendered helpless. And all the microchips . . . and w/ tv going digital . . . just seems everything in our lives depends on something artificial to "power" it.

Yet, what are our alternatives? A bicycle will only get a person so far . . . and even if I have a manual typewriter - where would I find the ribbons . . .Even a wood stove depends on one having enuff wood to keep the thing stoked up . . .

This whole gas shortage thing has really made me think about how we depend on so many systems of energy - and we are totally vulnerable when any of them fail.
Absolutely. It doesn't need to be a terrorist attack for things to become unraveled or stressed. Fortunately I filled up Monday night around 10pm, I actually thought we were past it and was shocked that the Shell @ Weddington Rd/Waxhaw-Indian Trail Rd was out. I saw a lot of very frustrated people, fender benders, etc. A buddy of my commutes from greenville,sc to charlotte, and on his way back couldn't find a place to fill up on monday night...he stalled along with a bunch of other people. his dad had to bring him some gas. It was amazing in the sense that you would *think* that the system would be prepared with a reserve of some sort. This to me at least, isn't even as bad as it could get. Not to be doom and gloom (but rather practical) it makes you wonder what others dependencies don't have a solid "Plan B" or "Break glass in case of emergency".

Oh and the bicycle comment, well that's pretty much accurate. if you take away our ability to travel long distances, then proximity to the market and other necessities becomes a real issue. I imagine that now car pooling will become the new (old) thing to do.

But Ani your right, what can you do, other than just stay calm and cool about it and know that we'll eventually get past it.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:20 PM

79 posts, read 217,281 times
BJ's in pineville is OUT of gas

Old 09-25-2008, 06:20 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Miker - you know I was just thinking of that van pooling issue. Up in CT, my old employer was heavy into the van pool thing. Why is that not being pushed in CLT? At least only the van driver would be going crazy trying to look for gas instead of the 10 or so passengers if they were in their cars. With the parking fees through the roof in downtown, I would think that BofA or Wachovia or Transamerica would institute something of the sort.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Absolutely. It doesn't need to be a terrorist attack for things to become unraveled or stressed. Fortunately I filled up Monday night around 10pm, I actually thought we were past it and was shocked that the Shell @ Weddington Rd/Waxhaw-Indian Trail Rd was out. I saw a lot of very frustrated people, fender benders, etc. A buddy of my commutes from greenville,sc to charlotte, and on his way back couldn't find a place to fill up on monday night...he stalled along with a bunch of other people. his dad had to bring him some gas. It was amazing in the sense that you would *think* that the system would be prepared with a reserve of some sort. This to me at least, isn't even as bad as it could get. Not to be doom and gloom (but rather practical) it makes you wonder what others dependencies don't have a solid "Plan B" or "Break glass in case of emergency".

Oh and the bicycle comment, well that's pretty much accurate. if you take away our ability to travel long distances, then proximity to the market and other necessities becomes a real issue. I imagine that now car pooling will become the new (old) thing to do.

But Ani your right, what can you do, other than just stay calm and cool about it and know that we'll eventually get past it.
I am really concerned about my DS, b/c he has to commute from Hwy 105 , outside Boone, all the way down towards Hickory daily. Now, his internships change so at one point, he will be staying here w/ us in CLT for a while, so we can figure out transportation here (we do have a bus stop on Carmel Rd that he can use). But he is just in a mess right now and really stressed about the situation. They had a tanker pull into a station in Boone, he lined up for that today, and there were cars lined up for blocks. He said later in the evening, the gas station was out. No one else had gas. I really don't want him driving a motorcycle every day - not up and down that mountain - so vulnerable - bad weather, etc. But you start thinking about those things. His car get 30 or more mpg but again . . . but at 100 miles per day . . . So we have been thinking about all of this.

I do have friends in the Hickory/ Lenoir area so if worse came to worse, he does have a place (like your friend) to bunk over nite if he ran out of gas . . . but dear me. What a way to do things - but at least it is a plan.

We talk about hybrids but you have to plug them up at nite, right? So you still need electricity . . .

My Dad tells us about the 50s - Korean War - when he was a Marine stationed at Cherry Point . . . and people hitch hiked back to this part of the state. Can you imagine hitch hiking today? It isn't even allowed on major highways and who knows what kind of nutball might pick you up?

I heard today that ridership on CATS is up 35% . . . so yes, our transit system is being used, but it is not what I would call a robust system. I mean - not like DC's, for example . . .

I am thinking it all through - the implications of this gas shortage. I feel like I did on 9/11. I thought we had NORAD jets patrolling our air space. Honestly, I DID! I thought they patrolled over DC and tracked incoming flights to our coast lines . . . borders . . . why I thought that (I guess something I read from the 60s, maybe) . . . I was shocked to find out we don't have fighter jets up in the air . . . and now I feel the same way about this Colonial Pipeline. I thought we had major distribution systems w/ huge tanks all over the east coast. Distribution Centers that have an emergency supply of gas stored at all times. Where did I get this idea? I have no clue. So now I find out that is just a figment of my very active imagination, I guess.

Yes, makes me feel rather vulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte