U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM

35,357 posts, read 42,333,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Miker - you know I was just thinking of that van pooling issue. Up in CT, my old employer was heavy into the van pool thing. Why is that not being pushed in CLT? At least only the van driver would be going crazy trying to look for gas instead of the 10 or so passengers if they were in their cars. With the parking fees through the roof in downtown, I would think that BofA or Wachovia or Transamerica would institute something of the sort.
Good point. You would think people would be very interested in this. Cuts down on individual costs . . . no parking . . . Good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 10 days ago)

21,922 posts, read 38,899,504 times
the vanpooling that CATS offers is already max out with a waiting list

Old 09-25-2008, 06:46 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,092,856 times
That's why the companies have to be the one to invest in the vans. The driver gets to take the van home on the weekend for personal use as incentive. With part of the monthly fee going for making the monthly payments on the van, the payback period is relatively short. I'd sign up in a heartbeat, and probably wouldn't balk as much in looking for a job in Uptown. The parking fee is crazy, and the traffic is horrendous. I'd love to just be a passenger instead of a driver for a change, and be sipping my cup of Joe on the way to work.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 10 days ago)

21,922 posts, read 38,899,504 times
What I think is happening now is similar to this let say Harris Teeter is only stores in town that have toilet paper so everyone who needs toilet paper goes to Harris Teeter thus causing Harris Teeter to run out but Lowes Foods just got in a pallet so now everyone is going over there and thus it runs out. The same thing appears to me is happening with gas. I think it hard cycle to break because most are on fumes right now.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 PM

35,357 posts, read 42,333,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What I think is happening now is similar to this let say Harris Teeter is only stores in town that have toilet paper so everyone who needs toilet paper goes to Harris Teeter thus causing Harris Teeter to run out but Lowes Foods just got in a pallet so now everyone is going over there and thus it runs out. The same thing appears to me is happening with gas. I think it hard cycle to break because most are on fumes right now.
ROFL!

Sunny, those emoticons are the cutest ever!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,243,088 times
I just heard that there are people spending the night at a gas station near Cricket Arena until a tanker comes early tomorrow morning. The poor owner has to stay and work.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 PM

5,932 posts, read 6,658,819 times
Default Unnecessary Driving

You know, it's kind of funny how some members are critical of how other members are using fuel, but how about these two area's:

1) Should students be temporarily stopped from driving cars to school in order to leave more gas for working people? What the heck, school busses run the same routes every day with or without student drivers.

(Just heard on the news that some local colleges are canceling classes through the weekend because of the gas crunch. HS students should not be competing with adults for fuel.)

2) Should people be banned from fueling boats and off road play toys at local gas stations until this "crisis" is resolved? I have no problem with marinas selling fuel as that is their bread & butter, but recreation boats are unnecessary right now.

What do you folks think?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,243,088 times
^^^ Schools should be cancelled tomorrow, they can always make-up for one day missed no problem.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM

4,611 posts, read 4,975,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I just heard that there are people spending the night at a gas station near Cricket Arena until a tanker comes early tomorrow morning. The poor owner has to stay and work.
That's another thing - if the gas stations that are not usually 24 hours have to stay open because of people camping out (just saw something on the news where people are waiting for gas to come whenever) they have to pay those people. If gas stations are hiring security guards (also on the news) they have to pay for that too. How are they going to come up with those extra funds?...My guess is through an increase in the price of the gas they do sell. And then people will be complaining about the prices going up.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 PM

4,611 posts, read 4,975,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
You know, it's kind of funny how some members are critical of how other members are using fuel, but how about these two area's:

1) Should students be temporarily stopped from driving cars to school in order to leave more gas for working people? What the heck, school busses run the same routes every day with or without student drivers.

(Just heard on the news that some local colleges are canceling classes through the weekend because of the gas crunch. HS students should not be competing with adults for fuel.)

2) Should people be banned from fueling boats and off road play toys at local gas stations until this "crisis" is resolved? I have no problem with marinas selling fuel as that is their bread & butter, but recreation boats are unnecessary right now.

What do you folks think?
I disagree with this because what you're proposing is differentiating between necessary vs. unnecessary gas usage. And who can make that determination? Who's to say whose job is more important that someone else's? Who needs to drive to the grocery store because they really need food and who is making that trip just because they have a craving for peanut M&Ms? And what about the student who drives to school, but then drives to a job afterwards?

When you start imposing bans, it opens up a whole different can of worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte