U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Reputation: 8282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
When you start imposing bans, it opens up a whole different can of worms.
There is a difference between a bans and implementing some controls. Asheville has been without gas for 2 weeks now, and the community college closed Wednesday, the non-essential city and county employees are closed Friday and Monday.

Right now the only control is personal greed, and it's not working very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 AM
 
15 posts, read 39,417 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchug View Post
No offense to you -- honestly -- but this constant media frenzy is hurting as much as it's helping.

People read this post (or watch the constant OMG GAS WATCH 2008!!!!! on Channel 3, read the Charlotte fish wrap, etc.) and instantly rush off to whereever may have a drop of gas -- thus making the situation that much worse.

I just made a quick run out to the store, and there were cars lined onto Pleasant Road and 77 trying to get to the one Exxon off Gold Hill that had gas. Not surprisingly, I passed a NewsChannel 36 satellite truck, as well.

The media (and thus, we the sheeple) is/are making this 400 times worse than it actually is, and that's the maddening part.

I can see why you got that from my post, but that was actually not my intention. I was trying to assuage the concerns of a poster above me who was heading into South Carolina for the weekend that he would likely be able to get gas. I should have quoted that post to avoid confusion.
I heard a figure the other day that supplies were indeed down 30-40%, but that demand was UP 50%. I agree that this is partially caused by media hype, but also by word of mouth and people just seeing the lines.
I am still under 1/4 a tank because I am trying to avoid the frenzy, but that may make me homebound after I take the kids to school today. I am going to hope that this "large shipment" today will ease things a bit so that I can at least get a few gallons to get me through a few more days.

No offense taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 05:37 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,050,079 times
Reputation: 2270
Beyond all the finger pointing and name calling, this should make us realize how utterly dependent on energy we are. Our country needs an energy plan for the future. There is no reason a Cat 2 storm 1000 miles away should push our location into such chaos.

We are addicted to a product that requires a delicate balance of engineering, transportation logistics, and political diplomacy (with people who do not necessarily like us) to not upset the apple cart.

Just food for thought on this beautiful Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,762,719 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Beyond all the finger pointing and name calling, this should make us realize how utterly dependent on energy we are. Our country needs an energy plan for the future. There is no reason a Cat 2 storm 1000 miles away should push our location into such chaos.

We are addicted to a product that requires a delicate balance of engineering, transportation logistics, and political diplomacy (with people who do not necessarily like us) to not upset the apple cart.

Just food for thought on this beautiful Friday.
Well I headed out to find gas again this morning. My local gas station has gas, but the lines were longer than what I wanted to wait for, so I guess that's good news at least- If I'm willing to wait for it, I guess I can get it. I am going to try tomorrow, hoping the commuter traffic will be lighter.

However to your point on the energy plan, I agree, but what's a bit infuriating was that this all happened (on a national scale) 30+ years ago. I know a zillion people have said this but it needs to be said a zillion more times. I can't help but make a comparison to a person that lives pay check to pay check- as long as the check comes in, all is well. When it runs out you maybe have a week or two to live before the house of cards falls down. As long as the colonial pipeline was pumping gas, we we're okay, but when it dried up, there was nothing in reserves (for the average person) to draw on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Beyond all the finger pointing and name calling, this should make us realize how utterly dependent on energy we are. Our country needs an energy plan for the future. There is no reason a Cat 2 storm 1000 miles away should push our location into such chaos.

We are addicted to a product that requires a delicate balance of engineering, transportation logistics, and political diplomacy (with people who do not necessarily like us) to not upset the apple cart.

Just food for thought on this beautiful Friday.
I doubt it is related to this rain storm. The state of florida has plenty of gas and they are closer to the gulf than we are.

I agree with most that news created most of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:17 AM
 
462 posts, read 1,686,542 times
Reputation: 215
Here's my question and I think it's even legit too. If we are in a shortage because of the pipeline, how come the local officials haven't been sending convoys of tankers to fuel depots that are running business as usual? Yet, another reason why I honestly feel that this shortage was created by design. Something to think about people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
Reputation: 14925
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You don't have gas because everyone's acting like the goddamn apocalypse is imminent and filling up every gas container they can find.

Nice ad hominem, by the way. Say, do you even know what that means? I doubt it - you don't even know "your" from "you're."
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Here's my question and I think it's even legit too. If we are in a shortage because of the pipeline, how come the local officials haven't been sending convoys of tankers to fuel depots that are running business as usual? Yet, another reason why I honestly feel that this shortage was created by design. Something to think about people.
I concur Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Huntersville
1,521 posts, read 4,482,132 times
Reputation: 298
There are different pipelines that feed the east coast. We happen to have the one that was shutdown from ike. Wilmington for instance is OK, we are supposed to get some tankers from there as well as Tennessee.

On a side note I thought it was funny that Channel 9 news were trying to save face and saying they were trying to get facts for us and they didn't start the frenzy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Denver Colorado
385 posts, read 1,447,438 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Here's my question and I think it's even legit too. If we are in a shortage because of the pipeline, how come the local officials haven't been sending convoys of tankers to fuel depots that are running business as usual? Yet, another reason why I honestly feel that this shortage was created by design. Something to think about people.
I think it's all political.
BTW, where are the city officials and where is the state leadership during all this?
I know there are tankers available to get gasoline to the areas - I also feel we are being "denied gasoline" because this is a swing state and the powers that be in our area are using this to garner votes.
Guess which people from the RED side just lost lots of votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 AM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,312,146 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
I think it's all political.
BTW, where are the city officials and where is the state leadership during all this?
I know there are tankers available to get gasoline to the areas - I also feel we are being "denied gasoline" because this is a swing state and the powers that be in our area are using this to garner votes.
Guess which people from the RED side just lost lots of votes.
If 20% of the entire nation's supply was cut off due to Ike, and if we were at 97% use of total capacity before that, where the hell do you propose they get the gas??

People are already whining about the price of gas going up. Could you imagine how much more it would rise if it had to be trucked in 300-500 miles or more? Are you aware that the average gas tanker ony carries around 9000 gallons? Are you aware that the convenience sore tanks average 10-15000 gallons? Than means at least 2 tankers per station. Multiply that by the number of stations in the Charlotte metro- now tell me your idea makes economic sense.

It's so easy to blame everything on the republicans- should John McCain have volunteered to drive a tanker so you could fill up? I blame this far more on our governor than anyone else. We all played the hope and wait game- and lost. We hoped the flow through our pipelines and the production at the refineries would resume quickly. When it didnt, the supply ran dry. There should have been greater reserves in place, and we certainly shouldnt have waited for a crisis to set in before we acted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top