U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,648,996 times
Stations by me in RH are out of Gas. Both the Texaco and BP on Heckle Blvd and Herlong Ave intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 AM

4,508 posts, read 5,261,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
I think it's all political.
BTW, where are the city officials and where is the state leadership during all this?
I know there are tankers available to get gasoline to the areas - I also feel we are being "denied gasoline" because this is a swing state and the powers that be in our area are using this to garner votes.
Guess which people from the RED side just lost lots of votes.
Tankers available, yes. Enough gas available, no.

I wonder if I should be looking for a democratic gas station or a republican one when my tank gets low??

Not everything is black and white, or blue and red.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,247,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
I think it's all political.
BTW, where are the city officials and where is the state leadership during all this?
I know there are tankers available to get gasoline to the areas - I also feel we are being "denied gasoline" because this is a swing state and the powers that be in our area are using this to garner votes.
Guess which people from the RED side just lost lots of votes.
Are you serious? Something of this nature would be at the State level which is blue. I try to keep my political views to myself but this has to be one of the craziest posts I have read in a long time!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 AM

5,659 posts, read 17,783,398 times
The Democratic Party controls the governorship and both houses of the state legislature.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,830,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The Democratic Party controls the governorship and both houses of the state legislature.
But apparently that fact is lost on people who only intend to malign the other side! As distressing as it may be to some, the Republicans are not responsible for all the world's woes!!

Last edited by Hoagie58; 09-26-2008 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
But apparently that fact is lost on people who only intend to malign the other side! As distressing as it may be to some, the Republicans are not responsibkle for all the world's woes!!
It's been around 15 years since we had a Republican governor. The state's current gasoline shortages must be his fault.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM

16,311 posts, read 13,844,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
People are already whining about the price of gas going up. Could you imagine how much more it would rise if it had to be trucked in 300-500 miles or more? Are you aware that the average gas tanker ony carries around 9000 gallons? Are you aware that the convenience sore tanks average 10-15000 gallons? Than means at least 2 tankers per station. Multiply that by the number of stations in the Charlotte metro- now tell me your idea makes economic sense.
And are you aware that the average greedy self centered gas hoarder is carrying around an extra 10 - 15 gallons in their tank, not to mention filling up every gas can they can find at Wal-Mart, Lowes, AutoZone, etc. and hoard in their garage. Since hoarders seem to be in the majority, do the math, they are a majority of the shortage problem.

Charlotte has 200,000+ households, assume 1.5 cars per household on average = 300,000 cars. Now if the "topping off" practice means that every vehicle is carrying around an extra 5 gallons, that is 1.5 MILLION GALLONS that is being hoarded. You are your own worst enemy, but I doubt it will stop a single person from jumping in the next gas line when they reach 3/4 of a tank.

I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me, me

Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 AM

35,147 posts, read 41,633,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
It's been around 15 years since we had a Republican governor.
True. And this state went from the Reconstruction period to the 1970s to get its first Republican Gov. So that was what - 105 years. Since then I believe we have only had one other GOP Gov - Gov Martin. I believe in the 20th C. we only had 2 Republican Governors - Gov. Holshouser and Gov. Martin.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 AM

35,147 posts, read 41,633,666 times
Actually, the average is higher than 2 cars per household across the US - and I would not be surprised if that is true here in NC, as we do love our cars and trucks here. People are filling up ALL vehicles (not in my household, but that is what I am hearing from others). So the demand for gas is higher than in other typical weeks, when people are NOT topping off every vehicle in their household.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
True. And this state went from the Reconstruction period to the 1970s to get its first Republican Gov. So that was what - 105 years. Since then I believe we have only had one other GOP Gov - Gov Martin. I believe in the 20th C. we only had 2 Republican Governors - Gov. Holshouser and Gov. Martin.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Those are the only two in the past 100 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_of_North_Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte