Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 09:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Those are the only two in the past 100 years.

Governor of North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you, MM. I thought my memory was correct on that.

How anyone can blame the GOP for this mess w/ gas is beyond me.

Talk about a crazy political season . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:33 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
Also didn't the Dems allow the .10c tax increase to happen when prices were already high enough?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
No one has examined the fact that maybe all the tank trucks are not in operation either. I've heard that many independent truckers have to front their own fuel costs and that "brand name" gas stations get priority when it comes time to fill up. This might be adding to the problem. There could be tank trucks operators that have given up on getting gas after being edged out in the marketplace!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 AM

15 posts, read 37,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
When you start imposing bans, it opens up a whole different can of worms.
Am I the only one that sees the absurdity of local gas outages due to panic driven demand increase (why is the supply of diesel which has inelastic demand a non issue BTW?), followed by a clip of how local officials are looking into complaints of "price gouging"?

The age old very rudimentary concept that price sets the equilibrium between supply and demand seems to be lost on most people.

The shame is that our politicians (red and blue) pander to the idiot mobs and exacerbate conditions instead of doing the right thing for those idiot mobs that elected them to represent their interests, not enact their ignorant opinions.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:49 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And are you aware that the average greedy self centered gas hoarder is carrying around an extra 10 - 15 gallons in their tank, not to mention filling up every gas can they can find at Wal-Mart, Lowes, AutoZone, etc. and hoard in their garage. Since hoarders seem to be in the majority, do the math, they are a majority of the shortage problem.

Charlotte has 200,000+ households, assume 1.5 cars per household on average = 300,000 cars. Now if the "topping off" practice means that every vehicle is carrying around an extra 5 gallons, that is 1.5 MILLION GALLONS that is being hoarded. You are your own worst enemy, but I doubt it will stop a single person from jumping in the next gas line when they reach 3/4 of a tank.

I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me, me
First off, Im not sure why I'm targeted for your rant- I simply pointed out that gas would be far more expensive if it were trucked in from other areas, as opposed to coming in via pipeline. That, assuming that the extra gas is available to be trucked in- the amount produced is near capacity without a large number of refineries being shut down.

Second, your math assumes that everyone in the metro has topped off their tanks- HIGHLY unlikely. As a matter of fact, my Camry only holds 15 gallons, is 3/4 full and I commute 60 miles round trip daily. At the risk of more vitriol, I will tell you I own an SUV, which has been parked, with an eighth of a tank of gas for the last 5 days.

Certainly there are those whose tanks are full. Perhaps they can rationalize having a full tank. Having a full tank of gas, and perhaps even a little in reserve doesnt make one a hoarder- it means they have the common sense to plan for contingencies like the one we're having now.

Perhaps you should direct your "I I I Me Me Me" at the politicians who didnt press for alternative fuels 35 years ago (I was 2!) when we had the last gas crisis. Perhaps you should direct it at whomever has decided not to build any new refineries in more than 30 years. Perhaps you should direct it at the media who blew this thing so far out of proporion hat it became self fulfilling. I, certainly dont feel you have the right, nor the reason to direct it at me.

Last edited by Hoagie58; 09-26-2008 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: That dang sticky "T" key!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
DH commutes 30 mi roundtrip and I commute 46 mi roundtrip. We both got gas Sunday and both still have between 1/4 and 1/2 tank, we can probably last until Monday, Tuesday at the latest. If we can got this long doing the commutes we do everyday, why on earth are lines miles long every foresaken minute. I came to the conclusion if I run out and there is none to be found, I am parking and just not going to work. Or going out at 3am and waiting right at the pump. Just to get my normal weekly gas fill, this is very absurd. I am sure all those people in all these lines every darn day do not fill up more than once possibly twice per week. The human is its own enemy.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Well the Shell on Waxhaw-Indian Trail/Weddington is out again...So we'll see what happens tomorrow. Just heard on the news that the situation maybe will be resolved by end of next week. I reporter went to a distribution center and found out one of the tankers was headed to Moorseville, he then asked about Charlotte and was told to leave the premises (I heard this on channel 9 noon news).

Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Hoagie, you are doing nothing wrong and you posted nothing controversial, LOL. I think AshevilleNative just used your post as a starting point to express other thoughts about people getting panicked.

I do agree that I have wondered for 30 years why our government has not done more about getting us away from fossil fuel. I was in college and had to push my VW bug several blocks on one occasion to get my $2 worth of gas. I could only afford $1-2 at a time. Of course, if I remember correctly, at that time gas was around $.35 a gallon, if you can fathom that.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Lite 102.9

guys, here's an updated link that shows who has gotten gas recently...

Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Lite 102.9

guys, here's an updated link that shows who has gotten gas recently...
Thanx, Jack! Very helpful link!

Now if I could only find a way to help my DS who is in a mess in our mountains . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte