U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,563,016 times

Advertisements

At 5:30 today, both gas stations at the corner of 160 and 521 in SC had cars overflowing onto 521, causing major backup on 160 and all kinds of cars honking, trying to get out of the gas line to get onto 521, nearly running into those turning left from 521 into 160 toward Fort Mill. The traffic that the Exxon had caused along Gold Hill is nasty, backing up traffic past I-77.

Mullman, while I might want to ride the bike, I can't do it 33 miles each way to Lancaster, so, sorry I need gas!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,037,466 times
The problem is that cheap and abundant energy have allowed our suburban lifestyle and sprawl.
There is no logical reason for people to have hour+ commutes, and as time goes by, this will be more and more of a problem. I choose to live in a much more modest house, but within 10 miles my work, our school, church, club, shopping, etc. In fact, on a map we live nearly in the middle of our circle of activities - by choice. Mark my words, over time things could get much worse (and probably will), and you need to be prepared to deal with it. FWIW if you knew me you would be hard pressed to call me anything left of center, I am as right wing as they come, but our sprawl and energy dependency is a scary proposition when a Cat 2 storm causes such a spike in our fuel prices. IMHO this is but another wake up call. Now back to your normally scheduled program...

Old 09-24-2008, 06:53 PM

510 posts, read 1,841,051 times
For the Mallard Creek Residents ----- Prosperity Church Corridor ------

The Circle K at Mallard Creek/Senator Royall (in front of Trader Joe's) 1809 East Arbors Drive, they said that they should be getting a delivery of reg/ul at 4am Thursday.

The Shell Circle K at 5335 PROSPERITY CHURCH RD/near Dearmon across from Bi-Lo, has none, does not know whey they expect any.

The Petro Express Texaco at the corner of Mallard Creek/Mallard Creek Ch/Prosperity Church, has none and does not know when they expect any.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:55 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,648,835 times
I noticed several interesting things tonight on the road...

1. There were several cars who were parked in medians and such (assumed they ran out of gas)

2. Saw several gas stations (around 8pm) that had parked cars at the pumps w/no drivers and cars deserted...maybe they figured the trucks will be bringing gas overnight...

I plan to leave the house earlier tomorrow morning, and hope some stations on the way to work rec'd some replenishments overnight or very early in the a.m.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:58 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,045,054 times
Default The only Gas in Hickory is Diesel at

Diesel is all we have in Hickory and conover

Old 09-24-2008, 07:04 PM

462 posts, read 1,685,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
The problem is that cheap and abundant energy have allowed our suburban lifestyle and sprawl.
There is no logical reason for people to have hour+ commutes, and as time goes by, this will be more and more of a problem. I choose to live in a much more modest house, but within 10 miles my work, our school, church, club, shopping, etc. In fact, on a map we live nearly in the middle of our circle of activities - by choice. Mark my words, over time things could get much worse (and probably will), and you need to be prepared to deal with it. FWIW if you knew me you would be hard pressed to call me anything left of center, I am as right wing as they come, but our sprawl and energy dependency is a scary proposition when a Cat 2 storm causes such a spike in our fuel prices. IMHO this is but another wake up call. Now back to your normally scheduled program...
Unfortunately, not everyone is as fortunate as you and we cannot always decide that we will live 10 miles from our jobs. With that logic, everyone should work from home and never have to leave their house. Some people are lucky enough to have these opportunities while others of us have no choice but to commute to work everyday. I'm sure I could find a job within 10 miles of my home but chances are I will be making much less working at Lowes or Home Depot than I would just add to the foreclosure problem that this country is currently burdened with currently.
I was sucking fumes on the way to work today and had no issues finding gas in Mooresville at lunch at a stellar $3.89 for regular. I laughed at a station I passed today that this morning their prices were at 3.85 but had no fuel and somehow this afternoon they were at 3.79 and still had no fuel. I suppose the gas attendant was bored so they decided to play with the sign instead of selling fuel. This whole episode has been sad and entertaining all at once. Just a tip. Most Hess stations have fuel and it's American fuel to boot.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:05 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
The traffic that the Exxon had caused along Gold Hill is nasty, backing up traffic past I-77.
I hardly think you can blame the gas station for the traffic.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,537,049 times
I called my brother and SIL who live in Houston and asked them if they had a gas shortage. They aren't having a gas shortage AND their gas prices have DROPPED!!!! CNN said today that gas prices have dropped around the country (about 7 cents). This really irritates me!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,537,049 times
Btw, I got gas about an hour ago at Exxon on Monroe (near Wendover). Address: 3301 Monroe Rd, Charlotte, NC - (704) 372-3681‎.

There were cops there directing traffic and they closed off some of the entrances. It was so crazy!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,648,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Btw, I got gas about an hour ago at Exxon on Monroe (near Wendover). Address: 3301 Monroe Rd, Charlotte, NC - (704) 372-3681‎.

There were cops there directing traffic and they closed off some of the entrances. It was so crazy!!!
There was a station on 74 between sharon amity and idewild around 7pm which had gas....it was crazy..the line went around the block....

I'm sticking to my guns and believe there will be some stations bright and early tomorrow w/gas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte