Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Since hoarders seem to be in the majority, do the math, they are a majority of the shortage problem.
And you know that hoarders are in the majority how? Can you provide any actual data regarding this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me, me
You never did answer my previous question regarding what steps you, personally, are taking to do your part to help with the current shortage. Serious question - you keep jumping in here talking about all of the "greedy" people - what are you doing to be one of the non-greedy ones? How about some proactive examples of that for the benefit of the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 11:24 AM

628 posts, read 2,077,677 times
i F YOU WANT TO WAIT ON LINES....SHELL AND CITGO ON 521 AND 160 BOTH HAVE GAS...5 MILES DOWN THE ROAD EXXON HAS GAS. (I just topped off my car...greedy me!!)

Also I think it's BP (by harris teeter) on 521 and Ballantyne commons had gas approx 45 minutes ago

Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
And you know that hoarders are in the majority how? Can you provide any actual data regarding this?
Reading this topic isn't enough for you?

Oh...

*goes back and reads*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'll quit making y'all cry and leave your thread now. I've said what needs to be said.
Sorry, I flip-flopped. I'll go run for president now.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:22 PM

76 posts, read 291,325 times
Opinion piece on cnn.com:

More gas shortages on the way - Sep. 26, 2008

Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM

69 posts, read 182,262 times
I hope that all of us remember this situation with gas shortages the next time we go and vote. I have heard our "leaders" tell us this current shortage was caused by Ike, panicky people, and the pipeline. These are all contributing factors, but NOT at all what we're really up against, what the problem really is. This is simply poor energy planning on the part of government. Specifically, the delivery and distribution system for gasoline is an antique and cannot efficiently deliver product at the right time, place and price (and the system depends on perfect delivery conditions). On top of that, our governor, mayors, and other city leaders have not taken any of the following actions (to mention just a few) that would cut fuel consumption (a) working with large companies in north carolina to increase the number of employees that work at home (b) asking companies to shorten, or stagger, the work week (c) working with auto manufacturers and dealerships to promote smaller, more fuel efficient cars (d) controlling growth (e) and developing risk mitigation and contingency plans to prevent this situation. Perhaps a-b-c could bring some incentives for NC companies. Until we the people start voting these ass warts (like Easley) out of office, and replacing them with people who will PROTECT the citizens of North Carolina, we will continue to suffer this type, and potentially worse types, of disasters. I am hoping that retailers, and businesses, all wielding much more power than we as individuals have, will hammer our leaders due to lost sales. Money talks. Lost opportunity, especially in a bad economy, screams.

Last edited by BrusselsSprouts; 09-26-2008 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM

385 posts, read 1,575,477 times
Excellent post Brusselsprouts!
I actually spoke with the mayor today and clearly voiced my opinion of the way Charlotte residents are being treated.
There is simply no excuse for the lack of gasoline in our fair city and surrounding communities.
Even the police department is suffering from this mess.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:53 PM

225 posts, read 715,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrusselsSprouts View Post
I hope that all of us remember this situation with gas shortages the next time we go and vote. I have heard our "leaders" tell us this current shortage was caused by Ike, panicky people, and the pipeline. These are all contributing factors, but NOT at all what we're really up against, what the problem really is. This is simply poor energy planning on the part of government. Specifically, the delivery and distribution system for gasoline is an antique and cannot efficiently deliver product at the right time, place and price (and the system depends on perfect delivery conditions). On top of that, our governor, mayors, and other city leaders have not taken any of the following actions (to mention just a few) that would cut fuel consumption (a) working with large companies in north carolina to increase the number of employees that work at home (b) asking companies to shorten, or stagger, the work week (c) working with auto manufacturers and dealerships to promote smaller, more fuel efficient cars (d) controlling growth (e) and developing risk mitigation and contingency plans to prevent this situation. Perhaps a-b-c could bring some incentives for NC companies. Until we the people start voting these ass warts (like Easley) out of office, and replacing them with people who will PROTECT the citizens of North Carolina, we will continue to suffer this type, and potentially worse types, of disasters. I am hoping that retailers, and businesses, all wielding much more power than we as individuals have, will hammer our leaders due to lost sales. Money talks. Lost opportunity, especially in a bad economy, screams.
And that loser SANFORD too !

Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Default moderator note:

Please for the select few.

As stated in the terms of service that we all agreed to upon registering..

Debate topics and not each other please

Thank you and ease the tension
if you could

Thanks

Old 09-26-2008, 05:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

You never did answer my previous question regarding what steps you, personally, are taking to do your part to help with the current shortage. Serious question - you keep jumping in here talking about all of the "greedy" people - what are you doing to be one of the non-greedy ones? How about some proactive examples of that for the benefit of the board.
I missed your question, but to answer it, I have reduced my driving to 30 - 40% of my normal mileage per week.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
So . . . it is Friday nite. What is everyone's status w/ gas? People just hanging tight? Everyone staying home?

My sis is on IM and she says they have two soccer games to attend this weekend; they were to play in Asheville, too, but that is out now b/c of the gas situation.

So have you all changed plans b/c of the gas debacle????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte