U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM

73 posts, read 300,415 times

Advertisements

I bought a new construction home last year. The home was pretreated with a termite protection. Now that the year is up, I have been told that termite protection has to be done once a year to prevent termites. I had two estimates today, one for $400 and one for $1200. This is all new to me. Does anyone do this every year and if so, who do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM

236 posts, read 731,031 times
Buy some Talstar aka Bifenthrin.
You buy it at your local Lesco or John Deere branch.
Comes in two sizes. Don't quote me on the sizes...but I think the 16 ounce is 25 and the 32 ounce is $36.
You mix one ounce for every gallon of water.
I bought some last week, the 32 ounce size from Lesco in Pineville.
I had a major cricket issue. Sprayed my exterior/interior using only two ounces.
Haven't heard crickets chirping since....
It's also good for several other pest, including termites

Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM

104 posts, read 256,068 times
We also had this problem and after getting quotes from 3 companies we went with the company that initially did our termite protection when the house was built. All the other companies told me since they didn't do the inital service they would have to redo it and that meant big bucks. By changing our bug control service to this company all we pay for bug control and termite protection is $516.00 per year. Peace of mind when it comes to selling the home.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,784,191 times
Our home was built with a Tubes-in-the-Wall System & our initial termite & insect treatment was done by Hometeam Pest. We have kept them as our pest control company & are very pleased with tem. Total cost per year for us is $468 ($78 every quarter for general insects & $156 yrly for termites). If I see anything in between visits, they come back out & treat at no add'l cost.

BxRosie

Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM

67 posts, read 271,513 times
I had the same situation as you.
The contractor had the soil pre-treated prior to construction of our house. I was told this treatment doesn't last long because the soil is disturbed extensively during the construction process. I had another termite treatment done the year after we moved in. The pest company trenched around the foundation and treated the soil deep down. This is the proper way to do it.
My neighbor, who had his house built by the same contractor, didn't do anything after the initial pre-construction treatment and ended up with a serious termite problem in year 4. He had to have an extensive drilling treatment around the perimeter of his garage floor which was expensive.
The treatment I had done cost only $175.00 along with my annual pest control contract.
My annual pest control is $75 quarterly plus the $175.00 for the termite treatment. That's all you should pay.

Last edited by Lend27; 09-23-2008 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: additional info.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:12 AM

73 posts, read 300,415 times
Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:28 PM

11 posts, read 64,632 times
If you have a new construction home it should come with a 1 year guarantee from the builder and the termite company should contact you when that years up. A annual renewal shouldn't be more then 100-200 dollars a year ( Depending on the size of the home) make sure if you have a crawl space that the inspector checks under there!. Dont get scamed into going for another treatment on a new home if its a year old. There are many options for termite control and I highly suggest you always have a professional treat your home. Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-06-2008 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte