U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

With that price range you have great areas of new or older construction that you can choose from. You need to set your priorities first so you can narrow your search. Perhaps schools are very important for you so start there and then you can choose something around the schools you like. The Charlotte Chamber of Commerce has a great newcomers package so you can get a feeling of the different areas here in Charlotte. Union county, Ballantyne, Marvin area would be a good option for you.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-25-2008 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with Terms of Service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:57 AM

255 posts, read 800,778 times
If your looking for 15 minutes to uptown and back you guys should check out Berewick.

Can easily fit your budget with money to spare (which might not be such a bad idea right now lol)

New Elem. School will be ready for next year along with phase I of the park, along with the grocery store. Town center will start as soon as that is completed, etc.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-25-2008 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: No realty links.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 PM

221 posts, read 648,827 times
Default tons of options

There are so many options available with this price range. Several have been given to you, but I will chime in with some more. First with a first grader make sure you research schools on NC School Report Cards
There are many great schools in south charlotte. Also, you may want to check out Belmont, Cramerton, Cramer Mountain, or McAdenville. The commute is pretty easy to uptown. Husband works uptown and it takes him 20 minutes from Belmont. My children attend the schools here and they are wonderful.
Best of luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepunk View Post
Where would be a good area for a family with a school age kid (1st grader)? Will be working in uptown, but good school and safe community is priorities. We are looking for homes priced around $400K - $450K.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 PM

28 posts, read 73,474 times
In my completely biased opinion as someone who thinks McAdenville is one of the best kept secrets in the Charlotte area (and I'm not a realtor or a Saussy Burbank sales person), you should take a serious look at this house if you're looking for something immediately available: Moderator cut: no real estate listing per TOS

If you're looking to build, there are still a few lots remaining but it's nearly sold out despite the tough market - and in your price range you could easily get a 3500+ square foot quality home with all the upgrades (and have brick, stone and fiber cement siding to choose from).

McAdenville Elementary (K thru 5) is right in the neighborhood and you could walk your child to school in 5 minutes (as we do). It's a small school built in the 1930's but very well maintained with only 120 or so kids in the entire school. To be perfectly honest, we were initially nervous about sending our kids there b/c the demographics seemed disproportionately low income so we were concerned whether this would translate into low performance but we no longer have these concerns. McA Elementary has an outstanding principal and teaching staff so we've been pleased. The smallness of the school contributes to a good atmosphere. My wife and I both have professional degrees so we don't take our children's education lightly. However, if you're taking a scorecard approach to school selection and are looking mainly at metrics, then I would check out the neighborhoods that feed into Belmont Elementary, like Eagle Park, Stowe Manor, etc. to the extent you consider Gaston County - but in your price range and in today's market, the world is your oyster in most areas around Charlotte.

Another thing to consider about this house, McA is only about a 25 minute commute to Uptown (and similar commute to all the attractions the Ballantyne area has to offer via 485) and it's only about 20 minutes to the airport. Also, the Carolina Thread Trail greenway will one day be built along the South Fork River alongside this development which will offer a rare amenity (something that should pay off nicely someday if you're willing to settle here for the long haul). More immediately, a YMCA will be opening in McAdenville in October in the old Community Center (within a 10-15 minute walk from this house). Of course, don't forget the McA's claim to fame as Christmastown, which, thanks to private passes for residents, does not create the traffic inconvenience for residents as everyone assumes - but certainly makes one's home a special place for family gatherings during the Holidays and provides a special experience for the kids as they grow up. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:03 AM

28 posts, read 73,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecandymancan View Post
you should take a serious look at this house if you're looking for something immediately available: Moderator cut: no real estate listing per TOS
Oops...guess I better read the TOS. Anyway, the development I'm referring to is McAdenville Village.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,394,409 times
I would say Fourth Ward. I am not sure how much a house is in that area, but it is amazing. I usually walk to the Fourth Ward Park during my lunch hour, or to the Old Settler's Cemetery. The area is very nice, full of grown mature trees, shaded sidewalks, beautiful apartment buildings and the best part, within walking distance of Uptown. I reminds me of the best areas in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or