Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know what I said But this one gets you closer to your square footage, but as you can see, less acreage. STILL, worth a look - a GREAT area - about 25 minutes in high traffic times to the school.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 19,227 times
Thanks for the house info. To switch gears on you can you give me some info on Holy Trinity and Charlotte Catholic High? Worth the investment? What didn't you like about either? Heard Providence schools are very good. How do the public and private schools compare in your opinion?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDe View Post
Thanks for the house info. To switch gears on you can you give me some info on Holy Trinity and Charlotte Catholic High? Worth the investment? What didn't you like about either? Heard Providence schools are very good. How do the public and private schools compare in your opinion?

Well, I'll tell you what I know...First of all, Providence High School is the best public high school in Charlotte academically. They get some competition from Myers Park high school, who also ranks high in several categories.

As far as Holy Trinity - just my opinion, too many kids in one school. The problem for me with that was class size. I would have preferred smaller class size so that my kids got more attention from their teachers. There are many fine teachers there, but a few who really need to retire. The football program is outstanding. The team has won the league several years in a row, and they play against public school teams. The program is geared as a feeder program for Catholic High - and boy does it show. Catholic was state champs in 2005 (incredibly again against bigger public schools) and lost this past football season at the big state championship game - but to have made it there was quite the ride Soccer, lacrosse and baseball teams are also excellent, for boys and girls teams.

On a spiritual note, I am concerned the schools have lost a bit of their Catholic identity as more and more students are accepted who aren't actually Catholic. It upsets me that some people use our Catholic schools as a way get their kids out of public school without having to pay private school prices.

Catholic High is college prep so course work can be rigorous, lots of homework. They operate on a schedule of 50 minutes per class, 7 classes a day, five days a week you have the same classes every day at the same time. I personally prefer the way other high schools schedule an A/B week. This makes every class 90 minutes long and you only have 3 or 4 classes every day, alternating days week to week. For instance, one week your math class might be on M,W,F and the next week T and Th. This kind of time frame means kids are not rushed in class, have time for questions and often finish homework, without having to take so much home. Teachers at the high school are dedicated, administration below the principal level needs to be replaced. A more Christian attitude needs to be practiced. There is a beautiful new chapel on campus - not sure the kids spend enough time in it.

Something like 96% of graduates go on to college - unbelieveable amounts of scholarships are given each year at graduation. My kids best friends he's had since kindergarten are all at this school and are just super kids. Many parents are very involved all over the school - so you get to know your kids friends parents easier than public school. There is a lot of money at this school so too many kids drive brand new cars - again I believe we are losing focus on teaching them about excess and spiritual self-discipline. But they are basically all good kids, certainly no gangs or bullies.

Hope this helps

Old 02-19-2007, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,689 times
Default Holy Trinity Middle School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDe View Post
Hello Mike,
I have 2 daughters at Holy Trinity now and my son recently graduated from HTMS. I am a licensed realtor and I can offer some guidance on properties to preview. My son and both my daughters are doing very well in the system. I also have a daughter who graduated from Charlotte Catholic High School and made it into UNC Chapel Hill for college.
As far as public Providence and Ardrey Kell are ranked to 2 best in Charlotte. The principal left Providence High to start the new Ardrey Kell High School in the Ballantyne area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte