Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

So . . . we all have our pet peeves about driving here, but dear me. Made a quick trip to ATL this week . . . and I found lousy drivers in Spartanburg/Greeville as well as ATL.

Of course upon returning to CLT last evening, how aggravating to be on 485 at 7 pm and come to a complete stop at the S. BLVD exit. Unreal.

We need our highways completed w/ enuff lanes to accommodate traffic.

And of course, there was the gas shortage, wh/ is very real all the way from CLT to ATL. Stopped at many gas stations all the way down, trying to find gas so as to have enuff when I left ATL to return home. Finally followed a gas tanker, Hee Hee.

But back to drivers . . . I thought it was mostly in CLT that drivers switch lanes w/o using signals. Wow - I WAS WRONG. That seemed to be standard operating procedure around ATL. And as far as letting others merge - I was shocked how aggressive people were and seemingly determined not to let people merge. What is up w/ that? That is my pet peeve w/ drivers here - LET PEOPLE MERGE!!!!

So whatever the crazy driving is here in CLT - it isn't just here! Saw it all the way down 85 - and back.

What is the problem here in the South? I swear, I don't have these problems in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What is the problem here in the South? I swear, I don't have these problems in the Midwest.
You ain't seen nothing until you make the I-95 trek from DC to Boston. Charlotte to Atlanta is a comparative cakewalk.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 AM

236 posts, read 789,260 times
I have to say as much as I miss the South, I have noticed that allowing people to merge on the West Coast is just a way of life. When I go back home (Alabama), I'm shocked when I almost get rammed every time I get on the freeway (or Interstate as we say back home.) I'm not sure why people do that....

Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
You ain't seen nothing until you make the I-95 trek from DC to Boston. Charlotte to Atlanta is a comparative cakewalk.
MM - you are so right. But I have always expected it there - it was like that when my dad used to drive us to DC back in the early 60s. Rude drivers, no signals, pulling in front of you too quickly and then slamming on brakes. Long stretches bumper to bumper . . . so yes, you are very right about 95.

But the whole merging thing . . . I just never see it as being as much of a problem in the NE or CHI, KCMO, San Diego, LA, Dallas, etc. as I do here - and as I experienced in ATL. I find it so amazing that people won't let others merge. It is like they have this attitude- "heck no, I am not slowing down, nor moving over, just b/c you are there. Tough, buddy." Or maybe everyone is just totally into his/her own thing and not paying attention.

Maybe it is bad all over. Haven't driven in CHI in 2 years and it has been a year since I drove in KCMO . . . three years since I drove in Houston and a year since driving in Dallas . . . maybe it has gotten ridiculous everywhere.

I guess I just expected better drivers in a Southern city, since I really do find Atlanta a very friendly city (once out of my car, Hee Hee).

Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
I have to say as much as I miss the South, I have noticed that allowing people to merge on the West Coast is just a way of life. When I go back home (Alabama), I'm shocked when I almost get rammed every time I get on the freeway (or Interstate as we say back home.) I'm not sure why people do that....
OK. SO not my imagination. I have driven all over the state of CA. Never had problems w/ merging, whether in SF, LA, San Diego.

When I moved back to NC in 2002, after living in KCMO and driving a lot in the Midwest . . . it just surprised me how people wouldn't let me merge! And that has continued. Whenever I am in the Midwest - CHI, KCMO, STL, etc - I just don't have this problem - and didn't have it on the W. Coast, either.

I really do wonder about it - and if it is just a Southern thing. And WHY????

Old 09-25-2008, 11:26 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
No problems like that up in Anchorage either Ani.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
No problems like that up in Anchorage either Ani.
LOL!! I guess it is all relative . . . but I do wonder why it seems CLT and ATL have so many inconsiderate drivers.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,685 times
Quote:
LOL!! I guess it is all relative . . . but I do wonder why it seems CLT and ATL have so many inconsiderate drivers.

damn yankees!!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
We're penal colonies for the worst of the drivers from the rest of the country.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,482 times
UV passes to Ani the can of worms labeled "NORTHERNERS MOVE TO THE SOUTH -- Now with more New Yorkers!"

Actually, I don't really have problems merging. Maybe I'm a more aggressive defensive driver than I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte